GreaseSpot Cafe

spinach dip

coolchef

I use the one on the back of the Knorr's Vegetable soup box, but I substitute: the sour cream is tofutti, and the mayonaise is nayonaise. Here's the original:

1 10 oz. pkg. of frozen spinach, thawed and drained

1 16 oz container of sour cream

1 cup mayonaise

1 pkg Knorr's vegetable soup mix

1 8 oz. can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped

3 green onions, chopped

Stir everything together until mixed.

Cover, and refridgerate for at least 2 hours.

Stir before serving.

• 3 weeks later...
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm! Artichoke hearts! I think they make everything taste good! I think even Sushi would agree! I think I should start a new thread!

lol He'll eat sauteed artichoke hearts, but when I buy the whole artichoke he says its just too much work! :)

I on the other hand, have a much more sophisticated palate, and will eat both spinach and eggplant. :biglaugh:

• 5 months later...

The recipe on the back of the Knorr box which someone suggested is THE BEST!

I purchase a round pumpernickle bread from the deli -- cut a hole in it, pour the dip in the bread and use the pieces for dipping -- the thing is devoured everytime I serve it. People can then rip the bread as the dip lowers. It's always a hit. The trick is though - you have to do it RIGHT before you are going to serve it -- otherwise the bread gets hard.

I have a recipe for spinach balls too -- people like those alot -- I'll have to find it.

Edited by Outfield

My neice and I came up with this concoction that is very popular at family gatherings.

1 package frozen spinach, defrosted and strained

1 package French onion soup mix

1 can water chestnuts

1 pint sour cream

1 round loaf of sour dough bread or hard French bread (Never use a sweet bread with this recipe, YUK!)

Cut a round hole about 4 inches across in the top of the bread. Scoop out the middle of the loaf and tear it into slightly larger than bite size pieces. Cut the top piece into similar size pieces. Set bread aside.

In a medium bowl combine the spinach, soup mix, water chestnuts and sour cream. Mix well.

Spoon the mixture into the bread bowl.

To serve place the bread bowl in the center of a large serving platter and surround it with the cut up pieces of bread.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey ya'll. We had a BBQ for the Bucs today (boo-hoo they lost) :realmad:

However, I made this awesome spinach dip. It's a copycat of Applebee's spinach dip - served hot with tortilla chips and it's super easy!

1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed

1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped

1 cup shredded parmesan-romano cheese mix

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

10 ounces prepared alfredo sauce

1 teaspoon minced garlic

4 ounces softened cream cheese

pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and spread mixture into a small baking dish (I used an 8" X 8" dish).

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheeses are bubbling and melted.

Serve with chips or bread and enjoy.

Here's a link for a pic: http://www.recipezaar.com/111797

I also made the cold Knorr spinach dip the recipe has been posted on here previously - it's on the back of the Knorr Vegetable soup package - served with pumpernickel bread and tortilla chips also) and one guy loved that one -- the other one loved the hot one. So it was a great combo. Both are REALLY easy!

Edited by Outfield