GreaseSpot Cafe

I gave in to myself and called an old WAY friend

Wanderer

OK to be perfectly honest...an old lover. I was part of the Allen Street Way folks in Syracuse NY in the early 80's. The whole thing was so confusing to me that I literally quit my life and ran away. But in the back of my mind I always wondered...did I desert God? Did I turn my back on him and his household?

I had to go through some shenanagins to locate her. Call a relative, get a bit lambasted, swallow my pride, and get the number. Freaked me out...It's the same. She's in a splinter group, strong as ever, but there is still a place in my heart for her, and I kind of know where she's coming from, but I feel the same oddness...the "Special knowlege", the "Household". As a friend I call occasionaly, clad to hear her voice, but it saddens me. I so admire her strength, but I have learned better, and know better than to descend into that malestrom.

Anyone else had this experience? :(

I've found that it's never the same. Either too much time has elapsed, they're married, or they're uncomfortable in continuing with just a friendship. I don't know. I guess some of the dynamics would depend on where things left off...

Wanderer- I posted my recent contact with a former fiance, somewhere on the boards within the last week. I feel the same way..I cannot crossover into a imaginary lifestyle again..Life is to precious,,the sad thing is, for me, it should of never have ended.....but, I stayed focused on day to day things, once again..thing is one of the hardest things to have had to contemplate in a while..especialy there is heart and emotions involved..

Waunderer,

I think it's sweet of you to want a better situation for her.

Wanderer,

About the best I can say is that it never hurts to be friends. I'm still in touch with a few folks from my way days, one of which was my fiance at the time, though we never got married. None of them are involved with twi or offshoots any longer but there is still common ground to communicate. People are, after all, people.

As for wanting better for her, well, wish away. But I suspect she's dug in pretty deep and would tell you she's quite content. And I also suspect she wouldn't be lying. She's had plenty of opportunity to leave and hasn't. Most of the splinter groups I've encountered are not run by the controlling psychos we found in twi.

Were you with the Z-man on Allen Street? I painted that house in the summer of '84. Its a MONSTER house!

-JJ

Edited by JumpinJive

Not to long ago I contacted the lady that got me involved with twi. (she is no longer in, thank goodness).

It was a bit awkward at first... We had a good conversation, it was nice hearing her voice, etc...

The simple face is, we are not the same people we were many years ago. (and this is not a bad thing). I don't think that we will ever again be that close of friends, but haveing a friend is always a good thing.

There are people who I haven't seen or heard from in over a decade. I wish them all well. Maybe, someday, somehow one of us will receive a call... (I am not that hard to find).

Connecting with long lost friends could be a wonderful thing. Connecting with current/former wafers we knew could be a little bit more risky.

My contact was to reestablish a friendship only, as I've been happily married for the last 20 years. I guess in the back of my mind I alwasy thought she'd get out, but as someone mentioned, she's quite content. "Beat a dog with a stick often enough, and they get to like the stick".

Jumpin, I'd left and gone to Albuquerque by '84.

:redface2: Oops! I spelled your name wrong, wanderer. It's always interesting to meet up with friends and old flames from the past, just to see where they're at. I've done that a few times....

I've never had a problem connecting with old twi friends.

It was never a *romantic* relationship that I sought.

Merely a "Hi. How are ya doing (these days) kinda thing".

Surprises me that more (if they know of *old compadres*,

don't do the same, if they know of the various *holes*

we all crawled into, many years ago!!

(Ahem!!! there was once a time we were all friends -- right??)

I give them the chance to reject me, and my current beliefs.

But it never hurts to re-connect, eh?

:lol:

For what it's worth...I think it's great people get together, bring it together and find each other with no bad feelings! I think it's so amazing to "meet" people who I never knew before who were connected to all what brought us together so many years ago, for better or worse. I need to "feel" more Word, more spiritual understanding, and where else am I going to find it? This world I live in knows almost nothing about the Bible!