GreaseSpot Cafe

Puppy Piddle Problem

Abigail

We seem to be having problems with one of our doggies (not really puppies, they are full grown) peeing on the carpet on Jacob's bedroom. I'm not sure which one, as we have never caught him or her in the act. It seems to have started late fall, early winter. I suspect it is our Husky, who used to occassional piddle on the basement floor. That wasn't a problem because it was easy to clean up.

I'm not sure, if it is her, why she has switched to Jacob's room, but it is really becoming a problem because I am tired of dragging our monsterous and old carpet shampooer out every week so to clean it up. If I don't, the smell is awful!

Both dogs are let out regularly - someone is pretty much home with them most of the day. Yet almost daily I am finding new piddle spots. Any suggestions?

Some here would say he is trying to tell you something Abi! More likely he is telling Jacob something.

I really don't know what to do about it. I would think it was some marking of territory thing most likely. A real off the wall idea might be to have Jacob counter his mark with one of his own. I can't imagine that working, but ummmm it was first thought.....Sort of a pi$$ng match?

Does Jacob favor one dog more than the other? Is it a call for attention? Are both dogs male? Has Jacob hit puberty recently?

~HAP

This is just a possibility, but it could be a urinary tract infection. My EmmaDog used to have a lot of piddling accidents and I was so pi$$ed off (pun intended) at her...until one day I was waiting for her to piddle out in the snow and discovered that her piddle was red. I took her to the vet and she had a raging UTI. Ever since then, the only times she's ever had accidents were when she had another infection.

It certainly could be a behavioral problem, but I'm not a doggie shrink, so I can't help much with that. :biglaugh:

I hope you can figure it out and make it stop!

Some here would say he is trying to tell you something Abi! More likely he is telling Jacob something.

I really don't know what to do about it. I would think it was some marking of territory thing most likely. A real off the wall idea might be to have Jacob counter his mark with one of his own. I can't imagine that working, but ummmm it was first thought.....Sort of a pi$$ng match?

Does Jacob favor one dog more than the other? Is it a call for attention? Are both dogs male? Has Jacob hit puberty recently?

~HAP

A Pi$$ing contest - roflmao - have Jacob mark the territory - you crack me up. Naw, if it were a pi$$ing contest, Jacob would win hands down. That kid can pee on the ceiling!!!! :biglaugh:

One dog is male, the husky is female. I'm pretty sure it is her, because little dog is very persistent about being let out. So persistent, that when Scrappy was alive, Buster would wake me up to let Scrappy out because Scrappy couldn't climb the stairs.

My guess is she has picked Jacob's room, because dogs generally won't go to the bathroom near in their "living space." Both dogs will hang out in our bedroom, both dogs will hang out in the livingroom, and I usually find them both sleeping on Aaron's bed by morning. Neither of them ever really hang out in, or sleep in Jacob's room.

Nicki isn't as good about communicating when she needs to go out. It is often difficult to tell when she wants out vs. when she just wants her ears scratched - huskies don't bark or whine, at least ours doesn't. So despite our frequently letting her out, we may be missing her signals sometimes. That was okay when she would take care of business in the basement where it was easy to clean up. It is not okay in Jacob's room.

But you do raise an interesting point. Jacob has only recently gotten to the point where he is sleeping through the night without pull ups. He does occassionally have accidents. We clean his bed linens and the mattress cover, but maybe she is smelling what we cannot? If that is the case, how do we stop her, short of buying a new mattress, which I am not prepared to do yet?

This is just a possibility, but it could be a urinary tract infection. My EmmaDog used to have a lot of piddling accidents and I was so pi$$ed off (pun intended) at her...until one day I was waiting for her to piddle out in the snow and discovered that her piddle was red. I took her to the vet and she had a raging UTI. Ever since then, the only times she's ever had accidents were when she had another infection.

It certainly could be a behavioral problem, but I'm not a doggie shrink, so I can't help much with that. :biglaugh:

I hope you can figure it out and make it stop!

Yeah, I've been doing some googling and a trip to the vet may very well be warranted. I read that if a dog suddenly changes their "habits" it could be a sign of an infection or kidney stones.

Hi Abi, I agree that a visit to the vet is in order to rule out kidney/bladder problems.

Nicki isn't as good about communicating when she needs to go out. It is often difficult to tell when she wants out vs. when she just wants her ears scratched - huskies don't bark or whine, at least ours doesn't

This struck a chord with me because when we babysit our "grand-dog" ( our adult son's half great dane/half dalmation dog) we can't count on her to bark to signal us because she rarely barks. Instead, she communicates her needs by following me from room to room and staring at me. When she does this it's always because she's trying to tell me she needs to potty.

As far as getting her to potty outside, one of my dog-fanatic friends says to follow the dog outside and when she pees outside, reward her with praise and giving her a dog treat. She uses one of those tiny little doggie "cookies" so the dog won't develop a weight problem.

I never had that problem since I don't let animals in the house (notable exception are a couple of little foo foo dogs that come to visit from time to time) except for a cat to keep the rodents at bay, though I'm between cats right now.

It is, however common practice in my neck of the woods to keep a spray bottle of bleach or ammonia and spray the garbage bags with it to keep dogs from tearing them up.

Point is, you spray some in the boys room...maybe at the entrance...and the dog won't go in there. You can pretty much control where the dog goes in it's daily meanders by spraying places you don't want the dog to go.