GreaseSpot Cafe

Question for Reptile Owners, Past and Present

QuietThinker

This is my little Colombian Red Tail, Connie...

connie_bowl2.jpg

Last night, something happened I have never experienced before, and I've had snakes for a while.

During feeding, she missed the rat-pup when she struck and caught her one of her teeth on her own skin. I watched her for a few minutes, as she extricated her jaw from herself. She was really very clever about it. Then, she struck the rat pup and polished it off quickly.

I inspected her this morning. (I never handle a freshly fed snake). She seems ok. I used blunt forceps to remove the tiny tooth lodged in her skin. The hole left behind is extremely small, pinhead sized. I am not concerned about infection, really, though I have increased the heat and humidity in her vivarium.

For any other reptile owners...has this ever happened to you? If so, were there complications? I think she will be fine...and I know many people are little more concerned with a snake injury than they are about swatting a mosquito. However, if there is anyone who's had this happen with a pet and had a subsequent complication, I'd be interested to hear.

She's my little buddy...I want her to be ok.

Yours herpetologically,

QT

Edited by QuietThinker

Hey there,QT.

I had lots of snakes when I was a kid. They are very resiliant. I haven't had one for many,many years,though.

On the other hand, I have had lots of tortoises. I got my first one in about '57 or '58 and have only had one stretch in my life when I didn't have one. That was the three years I spent as a Fellowlaborer. Pets were verboten.

I keep them outside in a confined area. Right now I have only one who has been in my backyard for the past 10 or 12 years. He has had companions during that time but they all seem to have found some way to wander out of the confined area. Every fall he hibernates in an area that I have loosened and backfilled with leaves. He surfaces every year within one week of Easter. I always relished the obvious symbolism. I know they don't know when Easter falls on the calender but it so happens that Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. I suppose there is some sort of internal clock that senses that event.

Anyway, I just looked at www. herpetology.com. and it looks like they might have the info you are seeking. I don't know how to do those link-up things but I hope that helps. Anyone who doesn't think reptiles make good pets has probably never had one. Hope all is well with your little buddy.

Waysider.

awww I think Connie is a cutie........at a distance! Rottie's dog groomer owned snakes for eons. He used to breed rats in his dog grooming shop til he finally realized that wasn't a good thing for business. I'll have to bring this up to him next time I take my grrl in to get her nails clipped. It never ceases to amaze me what we people are capable of loving. :love3:

BTW why is it not ok to handle a freshly fed snake? Now you've got me curious.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

awww I think Connie is a cutie........at a distance! Rottie's dog groomer owned snakes for eons. He used to breed rats in his dog grooming shop til he finally realized that wasn't a good thing for business. I'll have to bring this up to him next time I take my grrl in to get her nails clipped. It never ceases to amaze me what we people are capable of loving. :love3:

BTW why is it not ok to handle a freshly fed snake? Now you've got me curious.

I'm a fan of rotties, too. So, right back atcha :)

and...to answer your question about freshly-fed snakes...

Well, first. Once the feeding instinct kicks in, snakes will tend to just strike first and ask questions later. So, you present a warm rat, and then 20 minutes later your warm hand...they will likely strike.

Second, snakes don't move well on a full tummy. They like to relax and digest. But, if a predator were to approach (and a big ol' human is a threat to most snakes, even if you don't intend to eat them), the snake would "dump and slither" so to speak...and there's nothing more gross than cleaning up partially-digested, puked-up rat!

So, discretion being the better part of valour...leave the cuddles for the next day!

And thanks for the links and help, guys. She's been behaving normally all day. I do believe the lil girl will be just fine!

Yours relievedly,

QT