GreaseSpot Cafe

The Authority of a Woman

FreeAtLast

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean,

I'm probably not caught up enough to start replying but will anyway as I need a breather here at work.

I think woman generally have protective instincts built into us and we will guard our family's home and table with teeth showing if required. And I believe we are less apt to put as much focus on needing a legacy after we are no longer needed for our job of mothering. Granted we want our children to do well and make us proud but we will love them regardless because generally that is built into a good mother which God designed we be at the start. If we aren't then something happened individually not to the whole of womankind.

So in light of just those two points I don't think a woman President would be as apt to give our resources away to foreign countries when she knows it will take from the table of her own kind. (And you'll have to take this as an effort of explanation and not one of bigotry please) Nor would we make decisions to make us look like the top dog so we can pound our chests if we consider the long term impacts of those decisions.

I know that will sound snobbish towards men perhaps but anyone that would consider me that way; well they just don't know me at all.

A man has strengths that you would just assume him to be the better choice but women have gained in areas that long ago we were considered uneducated and not adapt at, those things are no longer status quo in our society. Others yes but not in the US of A.

I don't see a woman out there right now that would fit the bill I personally would like to see in office but I hope in the very near future we will see women being considered equally to the men. And after all with the history we've had how could a woman do worse?

Kathy

I'd just like a good President and I think that discussing the necessary qualities for the job would help determine the outcome.

In lieu of that, perhaps we need to figure out what area of authority we are interested in discussing. I mean -Authority can be conferred, deferred, neglected, and just taken or taken for Granted.

I'm going to repeat that I never jumped on the feminist bandwagon. I just feel that people need to be respected in general. Bias should never come into play.

Now this all gets sticky when we have two equally qualified people going for the same position. Is that worth discussing. Someone might need to duck eventually.

Can we leave the personal slams for the PMs??? Puleeeezzzzz!?

Not really as an effort to derail the thread but to introduce a new twist that my daughter brought up over the weekend. Since we're discussing the Presidency and one minority, perhaps we should consider the fact that we have yet to elect our first African-American President. I know this is somewhat off-topic, but it is true that 99% of our Presidents have been WASPs (with the possible exception of JFK, who was Catholic). Are there any strong feelings on this subject?

And, to repeat myself, I am not sure that a woman president needs to have different qualities than a male president does, i.e. a solid education, a good brain, sound political savvy, an honest group of advisors and an unshakeable grip on the proverb: "vox populi, vox dei": the voice of the people is the voice of God, something a lot of politicians lose sight of.

The thread that prompted this offshoot the election of an African-American president was mentioned. I haven't been keeping up with that thread so I don't know what ever came of it. I know I would have voted for Colin Powel had he gone and run. I felt of all the possibilities that year he was the one that exhibited morals, and ethics that would have not only set a stellar example for young African-Americans but all young Americans. But as it usually is the good ones don't run.

Let me try this again I will try and direct you to the thread.

Nontheistic congressman link

That sounds like a subject for the Politics Forum....But I have no problem with anyone holding that office as long as they are qualified. Race, gender, religion, shouldn't enter into it. I know that some would have a problem with certain religions...

I try real hard to look at people and see them - not the labels that are given to them.

And, to repeat myself, I am not sure that a woman president needs to have different qualities than a male president does, i.e. a solid education, a good brain, sound political savvy, an honest group of advisors and an unshakeable grip on the proverb: "vox populi, vox dei": the voice of the people is the voice of God, something a lot of politicians lose sight of.

Just to qualify - I never said, nor did I mean to imply that a woman would need different qualities to hold the office of President. If you look at my posts, I keep asking for a list of characteristics and qualities that we feel are necessary to serve as President. I'm fairly certain that the more defined this list is, the easier it would be to see the right person for the job should he/she decide to run.

Edited by doojable

The thread that prompted this offshoot the election of an African-American president was mentioned. I haven't been keeping up with that thread so I don't know what ever came of it. I know I would have voted for Colin Powel had he gone and run. I felt of all the possibilities that year he was the one that exhibited morals, and ethics that would have not only set a stellar example for young African-Americans but all young Americans. But as it usually is the good ones don't run.

Let me try this again I will try and direct you to the thread.

Nontheistic congressman link

Thank you very much. I wasn't aware of that thread when I posted. I'll look it up.

BTW in then early days of this country, the way the vice President was selected was that he was the loser of the presidential election. I guess that was another one of the checks and balances the founding fathers put in the Constitution. It might not be a bad thing to revive today.

This was interesting in light of attributes required.

What America needs in a president: The qualities that make a genuine president

What attributes should the President of the United States have? Intelligence is important, but vision is the ability to sort through the information, and reach good decisions. Decisiveness is important, if the decisions are good. Decisiveness can be devastating, if the decisions are poor, as we've learned, recently. Leadership is important, if we are led in a positive direction. Leading us off a cliff is always a possibility if we aren't vigilant in watching the country's direction.

We tend to vote for people whom we can identify with, as much like ourselves. I don't want someone like myself. I want someone smarter than me, and better trained to do the job; but alas, we have to pick from candidates much like me, a bit confused, and poorly suited to do a huge job, maybe the most important job, possible. That's why we have checks and balances, or did, to keep one person's ineptitude from doing too much damage.

We vote for someone who can speak well, and that's not a bad thing, but speeches are not accurate indicators of ability to perform. We vote for someone who is attractive. Too long a face, you lose. You look and sound like Deppity Dawg (and a closet Republican), you lose. If appearance was the top requirement, Edwards would be a shoe-in. I think Edwards suffers from being too attractive. "We want someone like ourselves," out-trumps, "We want someone attractive."

Hillary is smart, kind of attractive, after some "work." She makes pretty speeches, and has proven she is a competent performer in the political arena, but she won't win. Why? I'm not sure. I think it has something to do with going backwards, or the stigma of the scandals, or maybe just because we don't like her. She's certainly not "one of us."

Obama is new, fresh, attractive I suppose, well groomed, anyway. He makes a good speech, and is inclusive, positive, uplifting, visionary, competent, but he won't win, I'll bet. Why? Because he's black, and he has an Arab name, and if there is anything many Americans hate more than blacks, it's Arabs, since 9-11. Cruel? Harsh? I hope so, but I am a realist, and racism is still alive and well, I'm afraid. It has just manifested itself in a different way.

The Republicans? McCain was my guy a few years ago, then he sold his soul, and his time is past. Giuliani? He's a liberal in Emperors' clothing. Romney? Talk about flip flopping! Gingrich? You're kidding, right?

So, who's left? Richardson? I'm willing to bet that Richardson is a V.P. candidate.

The best news is that it won't be Georgie W. I knew him when he was "young and irresponsible." He never grew out of it. I had a bumper sticker made up that reads: EDWARDS/OBAMA '08. We'll see. I've voted on the losing side of many tickets in my life. The winner will be the one with the catchiest slogan and the most money.

Oh, there's Gore. Nahh, he already won, and has moved on.

source

Congratulations Free!

Kathy, I might disagree with your assessments as to why people wouldn`t vote for hillary or obama. Gender and race seem to play very little part in most of todays opinions, at least as far as I can tell.

A lot of folks actually do their homework to find out what peoples voting records are, what their core values are in order to see what is behind the pretty exterior and personable speeches, and chose what they believe is best for the country, rather than who might appeal to us personally. It wouldn`t be gender that prevents her attaining the white house.

I hope that we are getting a little more sophisticated in how we base our decisions that affect our country.

Edited by rascal

I found the one of the last name and color of the man disturbing and considered my strong views on not giving our resources away and hoped I never sound like that. But I bet it's been thought to have even made print. That over all thing really does rely too much on what the person looks like I thought. And they could have three eyes and I'd vote for them if they had some of my views. :biglaugh: