GreaseSpot Cafe

sonship rights

Howdy Folks,

I'm trying to remember the five sonship rights.............as taught in PFAL.

I think I remember 3..........Righteouse, Sanctified, Redeemed?

Why mention? Sarah and I have been getting involved in a new church and some of the teaching reminds us of PFAL........we found ourselves taking about sonship rights the other day and could not remember them all..........is that a good thing?

Thanks,

Patrick

The "five sonship rights", as Wierwille called them, were

• Righteousness
  • Justification
  • Sanctification
  • Redemption
  • Ministry of Reconciliation

Although nowhere do all five appear together, like, say, nine "manifestations", nine fruit of the spirit, or five "gift ministries, nor are they called "rights".

I think "sonship rights" is a dangerous misnomer. Yes, certain blessings and qualities are granted (grace), but nowhere in the Bible are they called a "right", nor the converse, "privilege".

Seeing the Bible doesn't bother naming them with a category, the honest workman would wonder in what light these blessings are presented. Wierwille calling them rights was part of the whole man-focused theology of what's in it for me. Rather than "asserting my rights" with the Lord I would much rather approach Him in a spirit of yielding, not of demanding my rights.

I think "sonship rights" is a dangerous misnomer. Yes, certain blessings and qualities are granted (grace), but nowhere in the Bible are they called a "right", nor the converse, "privilege".

Seeing the Bible doesn't bother naming them with a category, the honest workman would wonder in what light these blessings are presented. Wierwille calling them rights was part of the whole man-focused theology of what's in it for me. Rather than "asserting my rights" with the Lord I would much rather approach Him in a spirit of yielding, not of demanding my rights.

Wow, geeze, I was goin to reply, but something wierd happened. And Evan's post came up in my reply. So sorry.

But what I was going to say, is the whole "sonship rights" nomenclature, seems to be pretty American in its essence. When talking to people of other cultures, the idea of "rights" doesn't quite communicate. :unsure:

I think the tendency with most folks when I was in TWI – was to fixate on these "sonship rights" to the exclusion of an honest evaluation of oneself. Jesus asked why do I look at the speck of sawdust in my brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in my own eye [Matthew 7:3]? Where in the Bible does it indicate these are rights?

I think there could be a risk of sedating the conscience with an adamant conviction that these are in my possession – to be used as an asset…a resource…a blank check to buy off condemnation: "I'm still righteous! It doesn't matter that I just committed adultery." In the Bible feelings of godly sorrow, shamefulness of sin, anger over letting a temptation get the best of us – are the driving force behind true repentance. Psalm 51 is a beautiful passage of a contrite heart:

Psalm 51 NASB

1(A)Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;

According to the greatness of (B)Your compassion (C)blot out my transgressions.

2(D)Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity

And (E)cleanse me from my sin.

3For I (F)know my transgressions,

And my sin is ever before me.

4(G)Against You, You only, I have sinned

And done what is (H)evil in Your sight,

So that (I)You [a]are justified when You speak

And blameless when You judge.

5Behold, I was (J)brought forth in iniquity,

And in sin my mother conceived me.

6Behold, You desire (K)truth in the innermost being,

And in the hidden part You will (L)make me know wisdom.

7Purify me (M)with hyssop, and I shall be clean;

Wash me, and I shall be (N)whiter than snow.

8Make me to hear (O)joy and gladness,

Let the (P)bones which You have broken rejoice.

9(Q)Hide Your face from my sins

And blot out all my iniquities.

10(R)Create in me a (S)clean heart, O God,

And renew a (T)steadfast spirit within me.

11(U)Do not cast me away from Your presence

And do not take Your (V)Holy Spirit from me.

12Restore to me the (W)joy of Your salvation

And sustain me with a (X)willing spirit.

13Then I will (Y)teach transgressors Your ways,

And sinners will [b]be (Z)converted to You.

14Deliver me from (AA)bloodguiltiness, O God, (AB)the God of my salvation;

Then my (AC)tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.

15O Lord, (AD)open my lips,

That my mouth may (AE)declare Your praise.

16For You (AF)do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;

You are not pleased with burnt offering.

17The sacrifices of God are a (AG)broken spirit;

A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

18(AH)By Your favor do good to Zion;

(AI)Build the walls of Jerusalem.

19Then You will delight in (AJ)righteous sacrifices,

In (AK)burnt offering and whole burnt offering;

Then young bulls will be offered on Your altar.

Jay Adams mentions in a few of his Christian counseling books a dynamic found in Scripture – do good and you feel good. I've noticed when I feel good about my relationship with God and people I usually feel good about myself.

Edited by T-Bone