GreaseSpot Cafe

Chinese club 50,000 dogs to death

Dot Matrix

although the recent dog killing was sparked by 3 local deaths in that city, China has a huge rabies problem, with over 2600 human deaths reported in 2004 (the last year numbers were available according to articles).

From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,,1837454,00.html

Mad dog disease, as rabies is called in China, is the country's second deadliest pathogen after tuberculosis, killing 2,651 people in 2004. The number of cases has risen steadily in recent years because of a rise in pet ownership and an irresponsibly low - 3% - vaccination rate.

But the World Health Organisation says the recent countermeasures have been excessive. "Rabies is a big problem for China and it is one that is probably under-reported," said Roy Wadia of the UN agency's Beijing office. "But we don't encourage this sort of dramatic culling. There would be no need for it if adequate vaccination and surveillance measures were in place."

From: http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2006/s1630810.htm
Hospitals in Beijing treat as many as 6,000 dog bites a month.

Middle-aged man Xu Gang has just received a rabies vaccination, and pulls his pants down to reveal where he was bitten.

(Xu Gang speaking)

"Here is the first bite, and then I started to fight with the dog. Here and here, this bite is not that serious. And here is the heaviest."

Looking on is Dr Zhang Chunhua, a rabies expert with Beijing's Centre for Disease Control.

(Zhang Chunhua speaking)

"The outbreak of rabies is very fast," she says. "After a couple of days of unrest, the patient will fall into coma, and the breathing system will collapse and the person will die."

China is rife with rabies and the infectious disease kills about 2,000 Chinese every year.

Both the articles and others that can be found have additional information. I do not know the rate of rabies here in the US, to compare. Most articles agree that the real problem is poor rates of vaccination, but also the rapid increase in the pet population (all categories), of registered, non-registered, cared for and loose wild dogs, is a contributing factor.

6000 bites a year in Beijing alone? They do have a dog population problem, and they do need a better way to handle it. They have a huge problem with the rate of human contraction of rabies, almost always fatal in China apparently. I don't like their method of dealing with it either, but they DO need to get a handle on it. That is alot of human deaths, one for every 19 dogs they killed in this "culling"

~HAP

Unfortunately, it is against the law in China to own a pet dog, due to the overpopulation of people, and sanitation and disease issues. They have warned recalcitrant pet owners many times, and made sweeping raids and killed the illegal dogs they found a few times before. The dog owners are criminals according to Chinese law, and are probably fortunate they too weren't clubbed to death. In fact, I kinda remember reading somewhere that if a citizen is caught a third time with a pet dog, that individual is in fact guilty of a capital crime.

It is amazing to me that a government has such power, to break into one's home, seize one's pet and kill it. Those individuals who are American citizens and yet hate their own country should read this and reconsider their thinking patterns. Are you listening, Katie, Charles, Brian?

WG

The vaccine for rabies isn't anything as bad as it used to be - it used to be several shots - now I think it's maybe three - it's been a while since I've had to think about it so I might be foggy there... but it used to be a long series of shots in the abdomen - OUCH! I don't think it's anywhere as bad as that now....

But I digress...

Anyhow, although I totally agree that this was horrific and never should have happened, I admit that at the same time I am wondering how they could have stopped a possible pandemic as quickly and effectively as this? What were the other options?

Yes, it's easy for us to say they could have euthanized dogs or vaccinated them. Considering most Chinese children and babies get very few of the vaccines they need - many still die of simple childhood diseases we don't even hear about in this country anymore - I can't see how China could have possibly began a vaccination or humane euthanization campaign that would have effectively halted this problem of rabies, considering that pets were illegal in the first place. Since the pets were contraband, you can bet your sweet bippy they had no medical care when they became ill; no vaccines to prevent illness; nor were they ever spayed/neutered.

Although I may take a flogging for this - Since dogs were not supposed to be owned in the first place, had people followed the rules they would not have seen little Spot beaten to death in the streets. The owners were not good owners - it's like the college kid who gets a puppy in the dorm and never trains it properly or cares for it, but then leaves it behind when the school year is up because they weren't supposed to have pets either. (And shame on the pet shop or breeder who sold this pup to the student without a through background check!) This is certainly on a grander scale than the example I used but considering the tight living conditions in China, poor infrastructure of the country, and sanitation issues just with the people, I can't imagine adding pet excretion to the mix - never mind a pet with an illness, such as Parvo. (If you've ever been around a dog infected with Parvo it's a horrible virus - the dogs basically dehydrate due to excessive vomiting and diarrhea - and there's a smell that goes with the virus - you'll always recognize it.)

The problem isn't the animals in China - it's all the people. They are grossly over populated and although there are controls on their population now (which aren't all that humane either, but that's another thread, isn't it?) then drastic measures have to be taken to control disease outbreaks. Don't get me wrong - I am NOT saying this was okay, okay? I am saying - considering the conditions, what else could they have done as quickly and effectively?

(On a side note, it wasn't that long ago in this country where shelter animals were euthanized not by an injection, but by CO2 - yes, emissions from a car in a closed box.)

We're so lucky to live in the country we do and have the freedoms that we do. Hearing stories like this make me more thankful for what I have. I can't imagine having to live like that and look forward to getting my own dog soon.

I think I read not too long ago that in rural areas of China, newborn baby girls are still exposed - i.e. left out in the woods for the animals to eat. The law is one child per couple and culturally they all want that one child they are permitted to keep to be a boy. They do allow more overseas adoptions nowadays, but the abortion rate is high, and infanticide by neglect is not unknown.

The Red Tide or whatever that program was called in the 1950's when Chairman Mao was alive and in charge virtually stamped out Christianity, so there's not a lot of respect for human life, or by extension, any other life that does not serve the omnipotent and omniscient State.

Sad. Thank God that hasn't happened in America......yet.

WG

Unfortunately, it is against the law in China to own a pet dog, due to the overpopulation of people, and sanitation and disease issues. .........WG

do you have a source for this statement? It is in contrast to everything I have found on the subject. I understand there are restrictions on how many, based on property size, ability to care for them, and other factors, but "against the law?" Please provide some source for this claim.

As to your "think you heard infant girls are kiled" comment, you might find this article interesting. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/353/11/1171 It is a study on the effect of the "one child per family" law which has been in effect since 1979. The purpose of the law is to try and stem the population growth, however infanticide has gone on since before christ in China and in India.

~HAP

The China dog law varies from region to region. In Beijing, dogs are prohibited outside during the day, while the regulations are considerably looser in other parts of this huge country. In Beijing, you risk having your dog confiscated and euthanized if you do not keep it indoors during the day. Dogs are also prohibited from parks and grass 24/7 and you can not ride an elevator with your dog in Beijing. If a dog grows taller than knee-high, the it can be seized by the government and euthanized.

To own a dog, the china dog law requires you to get a license. The license must then be renewed each year, at a considerable cost. The fee has however been decreased quite recently. In 2003, the Beijing Municipal People's Congress (BMPC) decided to lower the registration fee to 1,000 Yuan, which is roughly equivalent of 120 USD. According to the previous china dog law, the registration fee was 5,000 Yuan (over 600 USD) for the first year and 2,000 Yuan (over 240 USD) for every following year. As stated above, the new china dog law only requires you to pay 1,000 Yuan for the first year. After the initial year, the fee is lowered even further, down to 500 Yuan per year which is not more than 60 US annually. The Beijing Municipal People's Congress (BMPC) is the top legislative body for the Chinese capital.

The china dog law for Beijing contains several exceptions. Dogs assisting blind or otherwise disabled persons are for instance exempt from registration fees. If you are a senior widow or widower, you will also be allowed to keep a dog without paying any registration fee. To promote spaying and neutering of dogs, the Beijing Municipal People's Congress (BMPC) has also decided to lift the fee requirements from all dogs that have been spayed or neutered. If you want to own a dog in China without having to pay the registrations fees, the easiest way is therefore to take your dog to the vet and have it spayed or neutered.

The old china dog law for Beijing had its focus on limiting who owned dogs and how many dogs each person could own, while the new china dog law for Beijing instead emphasizes "strict management and combining restrictions with management".

One of the reasons behind the reduced fees is to encourage dog registration. Before the Beijing china dog law was altered, many dogs were never registered since their owners wished to refrain from having to pay the high fees, even though it was not legal to keep unregistered dogs. According to the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Public Security, approximately 1.4 million dogs were living in Beijing in 2002, but less than 150,000 dogs were registered.

I couldn't even watch the sites listed in the beginning. On a documentary on TV they showed a person cutting off a live dogs leg - it was HORRIBLE. The dog was insane with fear and then with pain. I still have nightmares about it. ALSO, do any of you know the NOAHIDE laws? It's a no-no in God's sight to treat animals like that! I hope the abused animals get to judge their abusive owners. It would only be just!!!

So they are really just getting an ultrasound and if the fetus, the thing, the Skeletor, is a female thing, it's aborted? That's murder in my book.

And as far as certain groups being permitted more than one child, that should be a personal choice, not a govermental decree.

The whole thing, from dogs to babies, just sucks.

WG

How a culture treats it's animals is an example of how it treats it's people...