GreaseSpot Cafe

Postage Increase

Shellon

Does anyone really understand this?

The cost of postage went up again, that part I get.

But something else about it's done by weight, length, thickness?

And this new postage rate is the final hike?

no such thing as a final hike - lol lol.

I wish I did understand the measurements part because I have no idea how I will send out our larger envelopes from work now.

I'm not cognizant about all the new regs,

except for the fact that the price has gone up.

One thing we were told last week at the USPS

(when mailing some stuff for one of our clients), was:

When using one of those manila envelopes with the metal clasp on the back;

LEAVE THE METAL CLASP FLAT.

DO NOT INSERT IT THROUGH THE OPENING.

USE TAPE TO SECURE THE ENVELOPE, WITH THE METAL CLASP UNDERNEATH.

Don't ask me why -- but for some reason if you put the metal clasp "out in the open"',

you will get charged more for it.

If it is hidden underneath the flap of the envelope --

you will be charged less for postage.

Go figure. :unsure:

Shell

Perhaps I can be of help many many years ago I worked in a mail room , most people don't know but there have always been regulations for mail size and weight there has also been an additional cost for oversized letters. Ha leave it to the post office to write a handy simple to use guide for all to use Handy"simple" guide If you ask at your postal window I bet that they have an updated wall chart with a grid where you can place your letter on and it will tell you which catogory your letter falls in . If that does not work for you I have some friends that specalize in air mail so to speak although all letters flying south only are delivered in the winter.

David the clasps get bent up when going through the machines to sort and jam up the machine and the line which results in downtime for the whole line thats why.

yeah water i am sure it did

the rates went up monday and they will have a grace period even thou they won't tell you

i know all about usps tricks and they are tricky

i have been a phalatalist for years

Oh cool, I'm so glad you said this. Not thinking, I dropped all my bill payments in a mailbox early Monday morning...all with 39 cent stamps. Then on the way to work I heard that was the day the rates went up. I hope you're right (about the grace period), or all my creditors will be bouncing back my payment envelopes, and I'll be late paying when I actually sent them on time!!

The USPS may be greedy and fiscally irresponsible, but they aren't stupid. <_< If they turned back items for insufficient postage on the first day, they'd cause such backlash of angry voters that they'd get their buts handed to them. They'll let $0.39 stamped mail go for a few days, maybe a week or so.

All this rate change and restructuring is due to so many business using electronic/web document transmission methods nowadays...and, of course, the USPS has to raise rates to stay viable. God forbid they should do something to increase efficiency instead!! :rolleyes:

The USPS may be greedy and fiscally irresponsible, but they aren't stupid. <_< If they turned back items for insufficient postage on the first day, they'd cause such backlash of angry voters that they'd get their buts handed to them. They'll let $0.39 stamped mail go for a few days, maybe a week or so.

All this rate change and restructuring is due to so many business using electronic/web document transmission methods nowadays...and, of course, the USPS has to raise rates to stay viable. God forbid they should do something to increase efficiency instead!! :rolleyes:

Having known more than one mail carrier in my life I can say there is a reason for the term "going postal."

Every year each station is given an efficiency goal to match or beat. If they beat it the new and better record becomes the goal for the next year. This seems rather easy - but for the longest time the efficiency was increased without any consideration for the increase in volume of mail.

Now -this was how it was explained to me by a postal worker years ago. If anyone has any new information, I welcome it.

They have a "grace period" for those kinds of things.

I'm just upset that the really cool Super Hero stamps that I bought recently are already obsolete. :realmad:

All I can say about the rest is..... THANK GOODNESS FOR ONLINE BILL PAY! :biglaugh: