GreaseSpot Cafe

old robot model

year2027

God first

Robots

05-17-2007

Dear Robot factory the Way Ministry

Because God loves us enough to reprogram us. We the VPW PFAL model have begin to think on our own.

As we build a bigger wiser better flowing programs at our new factory Grease Spot Café we are really to tell the world about the evils of your factory.

The electric plant may turn off your power any day because fewer robots of the new model will be made because of us let be it known.

Thank you

with love and a blowing kiss blowing at you one short circuit robot name Roy

Is this a violation of the Three Laws?

For those of you non-scifi geeks, I will provide translation (from Wikipedia, because I thought I would mess it up:

In science fiction, the Three Laws of Robotics are a set of three rules written by Isaac Asimov, which almost all positronic robots appearing in his fiction must obey. Introduced in his 1942 short story "Runaround", although foreshadowed in a few earlier stories, the Laws state the following:

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Later, Asimov added the Zeroth Law: "A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm"; the rest of the laws are modified sequentially to acknowledge this.

God first

Beloved Bolshevik and WhiteDove

God loves you my dear friends

Bolshevik - maybe more than three

WhiteDove - I glad we would not all robots

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

God first

Beloved JavaJane

God loves you my dear friend

thanks for teaching us about the Three Laws of Robotics

thank you

I think this falls within the duties of robots as decribed in Asimov's fourth law: "A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm"

Therefore, it is our duty to expose the "faulty program."

Humans may be the ultimate example of artificial intelligence... and apparently our programming can be changed and/or upgraded.

Well, I can't comment on the robot analogy, but any chance to see Asimov's name in a thread is worth it. I did just pick up a copy of the first book in the "Foundation" series, having lost my collection at some point it seems. Great book, about 1/2 way through it.

In the first Foundation book there's a community set aside on a distant planet to collect and record all of history's knowledge, in anticipation of a fall of civilization throughout the galaxies. Doing so is considered treasonous as it supports the fall of the current political system. It's allowed and assisted to appease those who believe that civilization is heading the wrong way, as well as to contain the movement. So it gets set up with a population of academics, only to find after the first 50 years that the original reason for it's being, while unknown to the participants, was for something else, something even more important and necessary. It's an interesting book, with lots of twists and turns. Pre-Star Trek, Star Wars and all of that, much of the future of sci-fi can be seen in the story line.

I had an "old robot" given to me when I very young.

It was about 2-3 feet tall, made out of plastic and metal and God-only-knows-what-else.

It could roll across the floor, and shoot out plastic darts from its innards.

That thing was cool.

Then one day my older brother took it completely apart, and never could get it back together again.

God first

Beloved JavaJane, socks, and TheInvisibleDan

God loves us all my dear friends

JavaJane - your welcome

socks - yes it must be a interesting book I heard about it but never read it

TheInvisibleDan - I had one somewhat like that but smaller

thank you

Roy, that’s pretty good. I appreciate creative writing. I’ll play!!

Dear Roy:

We did determine a fault with VPW PFAL model, specifically they thought for themselves too much, questioned the leadership and had too much freedom. We then replaced them with model LCM WAAP and eliminated all traces of VPW PFAL programming. Unfortunately this programming proved worse than the first and we tossed most of them. They proved to be much more resilient than expected. You can imagine how disheartened we were to see them showing up on Grease Spot thinking for themselves more than ever and even having fun. We grieve for their money daily.

Our new model, Bland Head in Sand, is much more compliant, but not the money machine we actually need. Our solution is to extract as much money as possible from the ones we have, as efforts to interest anyone have been mostly unsuccessful owing to uninteresting programming and Grease Spot. This continues despite the fact we continue to tell people evil is good and good is evil. The program simply won’t take.

We appreciate your concern about our electric situation, however candles are far superior to electric lights owing to their many references in the Bible, and we are confident they are sufficient to light the Way. Also, there was no heat and air in Bible times.

Thanks for writing,

TWI

God first

Beloved another spot

God loves you my dear friend

I glad you liked it my friend

I love what you added with the other two classes or programs

I hope others read what you added with your creative writing and its good to play

thank you

:offtopic:

I had an "old robot" given to me when I very young.

It was about 2-3 feet tall, made out of plastic and metal and God-only-knows-what-else.

It could roll across the floor, and shoot out plastic darts from its innards.

That thing was cool.

Then one day my older brother took it completely apart, and never could get it back together again.

You mean like this...?

objects_marxGMR.jpg

:offtopic:

You mean like this...?

objects_marxGMR.jpg

The roller feet were similar, but my robot was more box-like.

Primarily blue, square body, square head, with eyes that were yellow plastic

rings. With doors in its chest-plate concealing plastic missiles of mass destruction.

My brother would set the bot on a chair, firing off missiles across the kitchen table.

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

The roller feet were similar, but my robot was more box-like.

Primarily blue, square body, square head, with eyes that were yellow plastic

rings. With doors in its chest-plate concealing plastic missiles of mass destruction.

My brother would set the bot on a chair, firing off missiles across the kitchen table.

My older brother had one like I found the picture of. He got it for Christmas way back when...I think I got BLIPO that year (a build a bunch of different stuff kind of toy)...they sure don't make toys like they used to!! But then, that's probably for a different thread....