GreaseSpot Cafe

VP's book Jesus Christ is not God

ex70sHouston

Chapter 1 of JCNG wasn't written by VPW- it was written by one of his "researchers." Surprisingly, he is actually named in the forward, tho it's phrased in a way that doesn't give him as much credit as he deserves. One of the most entertaining parts of the chapter is the line that says that the council of Nicea was held in what is now "Nice, France." That's off by several hundred miles, because Nicea was in Asia Minor, not France. It's one indication of how poorly he knew the topic. They managed to change that after the first printing. But even so, the chapter reads like a high school paper.

But it's still better than The rest of JCNG. Most of the rest of JCNG was not actually written by VPW. He first gave it as a verbal treaching, probably at the BRC. I think it was tape 295. It's disgusting to listen to the tape. VP is obviously shooting from the hip on the verses, having done apparently no reseach whatsoever beforehand, just making up offhand his rebuttals to passages that are used to show that Jesus Christ had a divine as well as a human nature. To treat such an important topic in such a shabby way is disgusting. The tape was transcribed and cleaned up probably by an editor who didn't have either the research ability or the permission to actually add some substance to it.

VP's idea that JCNG came from the same place his ideas about "athletes of the spirit", multpile sexual relationships for the MOG, etc came from. 2 Tim 4 says that people will not put up with sound doctrine, but instead will make up whatever their "itching ears" want to hear. VP loved whatever seemed different, radical, out of the prdinary, partly because then he could get people to follow him, saying that he alone had "the truth" not known since the first century. If he had lived longer (he never got close to the "fourscore" the Psalm mentions) I don't doubt that his teachings would have gotten crazier and crazier (much like the Mormons did in the 1800s and David Koresh did int he 1900s).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't vpw get the idea from BG Leonard? (Although Leonard view was a little different)

I think the Christadelphians have believed the same as Wierwille wrote.

http://www.christadelphian.org.uk/wcb/notrinit.html

:offtopic:

Does twi have an explanation as to why the Bible mentions God as "Holy Spirit" sometimes?

Possibly. But if so, it was more like a seed or a doubt, because Wierwille was still trinitarian in the early 60's in the way mag. Leonard's doctrine of the Godhead, best I can figure, is closest to 'Oneness Pentecostal'. The phrase I remember from him is "there is only one God, and his name is Jesus".