GreaseSpot Cafe

name brands vs. generic brands

excathedra

I always ask my doctor when he prescribes a new med if generic is available, and if so, what he thinks of it. He's a pretty smart guy. Back in the day, when I was taking a hormone drug to try to get pregnant, I was told NOT to accept a generic because it wouldn't work as well. I've also taken on one occasion a popular generic muscle relaxant that didn't work at all.

As far as generic foods, it's strictly hit and miss. Some are fine, some I wouldn't feed to the groundhogs in the back 2 acres.

WG

I just checked over my bottle of Chlorpheniramine Maleate (Allergy Relief Antihistamine, for those who don't know it by the chemical name) and all it shows is that it was distrubted by CVS. There is no where on the bottle that says where it is made. You could try asking the pharmacist where you buy yours, but I am not sure he would even know. OTC (Over The Counter) meds they aren't as involved with as they are with the drugs they give out via prescription.

BTW, I have tried almost every antihistamine on the market and this is the only kind that doesn't leave me with a hung over feeling the next morning. I have bad sinuses and insomnia, so along with a prescription form of drug called Vistaril (HydroXYzine Pamoate capsules, USP) 25 mg I take one of the Allergy Relief tablets at bedtime. The Vistaril leaves me nodded out in my chair for hours after getting up the next day if I take more than one. He originally told me to take 1 or 2 by mouth daytime and 1 to 4 more at bedtime to help with sleep. Hahaha. I took 2 and I couldn't stay awake the next day. Then I tried only one and mixed it with the OTC Allergy pills and bingo, works great. My doc just laughs and tells me once again I confirm I react so totally different to drugs than normal people. :) At least we found a combo that works when mixed with 2 Soma and 10 mg of Valium. I now can sleep thru an entire night without waking up instead of waking every half hour to hour on the half hour to hour all night every night. It feels wonderful to finally be able to sleep again, breathe while I'm sleeping and feel rested when I wake up the next day.

My paradoxical reaction to the high amount of pain meds I take for the Crohn's and Fibro is the cause. Instead of pain meds making me sleepy like normal people feel, they do the opposite and keep me awake. It's like I've taken speed of some sort that keeps me awake (just not the high that real speed would give LOL). Via trial and error, we finally came up with what combo of other drugs works to make me able to get tired and fall asleep in a couple hours after taking them.

Anyway, I wish I could offer you more help. I know a lot about meds after having so many tried on me thru the years, but where they are made at I can't answer. If a pharmacist can't help, the only other person I could think of to ask would be the person responsible for buying the OTC drugs for that chain of stores you buy yours at. S/He may know where they are made since all that info should be in the wholesale book the buyers would use to choose the drugs. This is only a guess though, hopefully someone else here will know exactly where you can find out and save you a lot of hassle.

I am happy to hear you found the great antihistamines though. I try to tell everyone I know about them, since not all of them on the market use that chemical, in fact most don't and that is why you are left feeling so tired still when you wake up the next day. I check bottles for the ingredients so I'm sure I'm buying the one I need.

thanks for all the great replies

Excathedra: I'm curious. What are the big chain grocery stores in Chicago? I noticed that Meijer's are all over Detroit and Cincinnatti but none in Chicago. I figure the grocery industry in Chicago is run by people who know people...if ya get my drift... and I just wonder what chain stores are there. It can't just be Walmart, can it?

jyam, sorry, i don't live in chicago

The private label or store brands products often generate a higher profit margin for the grocery stores than do national brands, despite being priced lower, since the cost to the retailer is lower.

Anyone remember the movie "They Love" with Roddy Piper? Put on the magic sunglasses and all the products were the black & white generic labels.

"I'm here to kick foot and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum"