GreaseSpot Cafe

Perseids meteor shower

rhino

I saw a few meteors last night ... but they will be best Sunday night. This is one site with a little info

The next meteor shower is the
Perseids
on
August 12
. This year there’s no moonlight to interfere. The best time to watch is from 11 p.m. August 12 until dawn the next morning. The best direction to watch is wherever your sky is darkest. If you have a dark sky, you may see a meteor once a minute on average. The shower is also active for several days before and after its peak.

I saw a few meteors last night ... but they will be best Sunday night. This is one site with a little info

The next meteor shower is the
Perseids
on
August 12
. This year there’s no moonlight to interfere. The best time to watch is from 11 p.m. August 12 until dawn the next morning. The best direction to watch is wherever your sky is darkest. If you have a dark sky, you may see a meteor once a minute on average. The shower is also active for several days before and after its peak.

Thanks Rhino! A few years back our family camped out in the backyard on the trampoline and watched one of these meteor showers. It was amazing. Better than the 4th of July fireworks. We'll have to check this one out.

We got up at 3am on Monday morning/Sunday night, and took the kids out to the country. Light pollution was unexpectedly abundant; it seems that everybody has to have a streetlight out in front of the house in the country, these days. We finally found a decent spot, pulled off of the road, and looked up. Although there weren't quite as many as we'd hoped, some of the meteors were pretty cool. Left nice streaks in the sky. There was a hoot owl not far away, and not many mosquitos. All of the farm dogs were talking to one another. All in all, a very nice family experience together.

The only other local person we know who got up to see the meteor shower is one of the waitresses at our normal lunch spot. She and Mr.niKa discussed it yesterday. I suppose you could say it was an astronomical gastronomical conversation.

:dance:

Our roa trip, 48 hours, 5,000 miles approx, was just about this time, and we had many starry nights.

I thought everyone saw lots of shooting stars.

And thinking about these annual Perseid showers -- that's what we were seeing over the course of these 20 years of roas.

Another mystery revealed.

Thanks so much, again, greasespot cafe!

(among the nice things of the high desert of Lemmon Valley is the quiet and the starry sky.)