GreaseSpot Cafe

Why would an atheist . . .

. . . . want to discuss religious beliefs?

I can understand why you may want to talk about your non-belief but on specific doctrinal issues -- such as whether there were two or four others crucified with Christ or whether Peter denied him three or six times -- what is your interest in such matters?

. . . . want to discuss religious beliefs?

I can understand why you may want to talk about your non-belief but on specific doctrinal issues -- such as whether there were two or four others crucified with Christ or whether Peter denied him three or six times -- what is your interest in such matters?

IMHO a lot of things interest me on an intellectual level but I don't "believe" in them. Perhaps that is a reason why an athiest would ask a religious question.

IMHO a lot of things interest me on an intellectual level but I don't "believe" in them. Perhaps that is a reason why an athiest would ask a religious question.

Yes, but I wasn't referring to atheists asking questions but rather actively participating in the discussion and voicing their opinions on the subject.

In one of the examples I cited what difference does it make to them whether two or four died with Jesus? Most of them don't even believe Jesus existed. So the question is moot.

Umm, Larry, I just looked through the 4 crucified thread and none of our resident athiests are posting on it( at least not yet). Perhaps you are referring to the non Christians posting on that thread?

*Shrug* I've been 'chastised' for posting on Christian threads but here at GSC anyone can post if they have something to say. It is not a Chrisitian forum, other viewpoints can pop in.

You can always pm people, or put them on ignore.

Larry:

I'm not an atheist, but am a non-Christian, maybe some of my reasons are the same:

1. I enjoy the intellectual give-and-take. It's fun :biglaugh:

2. I'm interested in discussing whether what we learned in TWI was legitimate bible or was a bunch of b.s. - one of the common reasons why people stayed in TWI and some are still in is that they believe that what we were taught was "THE Word of God" and that fact alone makes it worth enduring any of the negatives. When specific TWI teachings are shown to be at odds with what the bible says, then that foundation is undermined. Getting involved in these doctrinal discussion cam help do that.

3. I enjoy hearing why some Christians believe the way that they do - I like knowing what makes people tick

4. I no longer accept the bible as god-breathed or as my standard in any fashion - but I'm not irrational about it. If there is good to be gleaned from it then I'm in!

Larry:

I'm not an atheist, but am a non-Christian, maybe some of my reasons are the same:

1. I enjoy the intellectual give-and-take. It's fun :biglaugh:

2. I'm interested in discussing whether what we learned in TWI was legitimate bible or was a bunch of b.s. - one of the common reasons why people stayed in TWI and some are still in is that they believe that what we were taught was "THE Word of God" and that fact alone makes it worth enduring any of the negatives. When specific TWI teachings are shown to be at odds with what the bible says, then that foundation is undermined. Getting involved in these doctrinal discussion cam help do that.

3. I enjoy hearing why some Christians believe the way that they do - I like knowing what makes people tick

4. I no longer accept the bible as god-breathed or as my standard in any fashion - but I'm not irrational about it. If there is good to be gleaned from it then I'm in!

Thanks Oakspear. Even though you're not an atheist I thought your response was the sort I was looking for -- more detailed.

Contrary to what some might think I have no hidden agenda to chastise atheists for participating in a religious discussion. I think your point in #3 is exactly what I was after -- I also like to know what makes people tick. I don't recall asking any of the atheists I've interacted with, on discussion boards, this sort of question before. I'm not sure who at GS is an atheist -- other than a couple -- and even if all the resident atheists here introduced themselves to me herein I'd probably forget they were an atheist in about a week.

Larry, I think you bring up a valid point.

Why would an athiest be interested in doctrinal issues, perhaps? A lot of them seek out the Bible to either prove or disprove it. If proven, they will believe the Bible, If they feel they disprove it, then they seek out alleged contradictions in the Bible, such as problems with the different gospel records on the number crucified, Peter's denials and where and when things are and point to them as doctrines of men due to inconsistencies.

On another side, after some of the problems in my church, I have seen a better heart from some athiests than those professing to be Christian including some Christian ministers.

A lot to talk about.

• 2 weeks later...