GreaseSpot Cafe

Pilates Question "what was he thinking?"

sky4it

When Pontuis Pilate asked Jesus the question "What is truth?" what in fact was pilate thinking that he would ask such a question? Was he making an honest inquiry? What do you think was in his mind when he asked such a question?

Perhaps Pilate had heard that Jesus had said at one time, " I am the way the truth and the life" Maybe he had never heard that either.

I happen to think Pilate really doubted Jesus and was trying to get to the bottom of him. It makes me think that Pilate wanted to get him to start "fessing up" about things he never did. By condemning him, (I think) Pilate thought he would get his answers.

Someone once told me the historical record said Pilate eventually became a Christian. (Wether this is true or not I dont know) Of course, if it is true, it shows the horrible why part of why Jesus died. He did it to prove his point, that he was innocent. (This is why the death of Christ, (I think) is such tough stuff.

what do you think?

Edited by sky4it

As part of my Saturday bible study, the conversation between Jesus and Pilate was lengthy.

Upon being delivered by the Jews to Pilate the allegation was that he was a malefactor. It certainly would be interesting to know if some of you history buffs new exactly what this entailed because one would think they wouldn’t simply make a general allegation. Does anyone know?

This is what we know about Pilate things he had to know of:

1) He was a Roman and had to have intricate knowledge of Roman Culture.

2) He had some knowledge of Old Testament law. John 18:31

3) Roman culture as described in Romans chap 1 had the following:

a) worship of idols of “like to corruptible man and to birds, etc etc.

b) interesting that Paul and the (word of God) considered statues of “corruptible man" an idol, however it must of been the worship of them that was considered the actual idolatry. (One would think). (Yet another interesting topic)

c) Homosexuality was a part of Roman culture.

It also appears that the What is truth question by Pilate may have been a knee jerk reaction to what Jesus has said to him before.

Anyway if any of you history buffs could explain exactly what a malefactor was in Roman society perhaps that would explain what the actual charges were that the Jews were trying to make. Anyone know?

Edited by sky4it

I think the case before him didn't make any sense.

It was in vogue at the time for Jews to attempt to lead armed insurrections against Rome.

(That's why the disciples kept expecting Jesus to re-establish an Earthly kingdom,

even at the Ascension.)

Barabbus was just one of many conspirators that attempted to lead armed rebellions.

Pilate's main concern was to keep his job, which meant he had to keep the peace- which meant

he had to stop insurrections as quickly and harshly as possible, preferably before they started.

To see them hand over a violent demagogue would make sense- they wouldn't want Pilate's

soldiers to attack them just to take out HIS insurrection.

But they didn't hand over a violent man, a man who preached violence.

They handed over a temperate man, a man who controlled his emotions, and preached peace.

What the HECK was going on?

All Pilate had to go on was what he was being told.

The people OBVIOUSLY weren't telling him what he needed to know- which left Jesus telling him.

Thus, he needed Jesus to talk. The question "what is truth?" was an open-ended one,

much like one of us asking another

"What does God find most-pleasing and why?" The answers will vary, and require some

exposition. HOW it's answered is as important as what is said.

Pilate was educated, knew what he HAD to do, and was presented with something that made no

sense, but he had to find a solution that didn't end in using soldiers in combat.

Ultimately, from his perspective, any one innocent man's life was a small price to pay for the many

that would be lost if there was a violent action.

But he had to make sense of it before he made any decision.

you said:

I think the case before him didn't make any sense.

your probably right wordwolf, that they did that at that time.

Still when you think about it, it couldnt have been common practice amongst Romans was it? You would think that some one brought up before someone like that would have to file detailed charges. Maybe they didnt do that back then but I certainly wonder?

I thought the word "malefactor" might explain some things if someone knew exactly what that meant to Romans.

?????

I love to teach what I know regarding the Bible. Which isn't what it use to be. But I'm always aware of questions people ask. Not knowing their motive for asking the question can come back to bite you. As a general rule I was taught, there are a few reasons people ask questions....They either want to know.... or they want to argue or ridicule.

By the response Jesus gave, (IMHO) I am led to believe Pilate was not interested in knowing the answer.

Jhn 18:33ff Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews? Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me? Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done? Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault [at all].

I too think that Pilate was responding to Jesus' statements just previous to his question, though I would not call it "knee jerk." My sense is that Pilate was a thinking man, and this question may have been spoken sarcastically. It's a powerful exchange of words. That three-word question is included in the record, I think, for us to ask the same question.

Another Dan: Yeah im sure what you said must be right

YID I wasnt trying to argue or ridicule, I was just wanting to know if someone had more on the topic. There are some people at GS who are great with the history aspects of stuff, I was just trying to learn more about a topic i know little of.

Another Dan:

I kind of had that same question when I read it. Perhaps he was refering to Pilates question not mine. Since I was at odds with some stuff in the Calvin thread, I thought to bring it to attention, simply because I wasnt sure.

Thanks for the tip. :biglaugh: