GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way International - Wikipedia Version

ChasUFarley

Some interesting...ahhhh.... discussions on there, eh? I *think* I started a couple of threads on this in the past and never once got a PM on it. :unsure:

The MDVaden (I think it was him?) dude who posted after we found his site, apparently tries to get some TWI propaganda in the Wiki article from time to time, but thankfully someone else keeps taking it out since it's obviously slanted information. The guy also tries to get some of the more unpleasant facts taken out or euphemistically toned down.

I don't have the time, inclination or whatnot to get involved with it, but I do enjoy checking in on the conversations every once in a while to see what else the TWIts are trying to censor. :biglaugh:

chas.. i think your topic is great.

actually im not sure what you originally wrote.. but here is what i noticed on wik...

The information on wikipedia makes it seem like martindale was the only one who held the idiotic beliefs in TWI.

for example.

the following is from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_International

The "Purge"

During the Rock of Ages festival in August 1994, President L. Craig Martindale convened closed meetings of first The Way Corps, then Advanced Class graduates, and also veterans of the W.O.W. Ambassador program. The subject was his belief that homosexuals, who Martindale categorized as "the lowest of the low", had infiltrated the W.O.W. program and the "ministry" at large. He described this "infiltration" as "an attack of the Adversary" (the Devil) and outlined steps to combat what he saw as a major problem. He also sent a letter to Way Corps members covering the same subjects. The letter contained explicit language regarding the subject.

The Way had always been against homosexuality. In previous years, it would take being caught "in the act" for a follower to be "Marked and Avoided". Now, however, Martindale instituted what was called a "genuine spiritual suspicion" as grounds for investigating someone's sexual orientation. In addition to active homosexuals, Martindale targeted what he called "homo sympathizers" and "homo fantasizers". This was connected to Martindale's goal of ridding The Way of those who practiced "the three kinds of evil" [defined by The Way as: phaulos - unproductive evil, poneros - harassing evil, kakos - destructive or violent evil]. The following years saw many "confrontation sessions" convened to "smoke out", as Martindale termed it, those who were weak, evil, or not willing to "do The Word". "Mark & Avoid" and "Spiritual Probation" increased markedly.

Martindale's view that homosexuality was the Devil's strategy for destroying The Way manifested itself in his Way of Abundance and Power class. This is where he taught the original sin of mankind was Eve having lesbian sex with the Devil, who appeared in the form of a woman.

interesting that it is now "martindales views"

guess what. It is TWI's views. That is what TWI believes.

as if every horrible thing TWI did was ALL martindales idea/fault. what a joke. this is reason #1 why I left TWI. They can't fess up to thier mistakes.

Read my post in the open forum. I made a huge mistake in my relationship. You know what I did. I came clean. I admitted what i did was wrong and I am willing and prepared to go through the consequences even if it costs me everything.

I've had enough of the PMs about this.

I've never been so sorry for starting a thread in my life.

Mods - kindly delete the thread.

I'm done here.

Chas with 2,881 posts to your account dating back to 2002 I can't believe you'd let a little thing like this chase you away. Have you considered using the blocking feature of the PM system? I'm actually glad I peeked into this topic and found the Wiki link. Some interesting stuff there.

Or did you just mean you were done with this thread? :blink:

Martindale's view that homosexuality was the Devil's strategy for destroying The Way manifested itself in his Way of Abundance and Power class. This is where he taught the original sin of mankind was Eve having lesbian sex with the Devil, who appeared in the form of a woman.

Now this I find interesting. I never sat through the new and improved version of PFAL so help me out here.

When LCM was covering this section how did he account for this verse?

Genesis 3:6 ". . . she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

I mean -- if Eve's sin was having sex with the Devil disguised as a woman did Adam partake of that fruit by having a threesome or did the Devil change into a man?

What is Wikipedia? I get that it's an encyclopedia and it is someone's definition of twi.

And.....? I don't understand it beyond that

Yeah, Shellon -- it is sorta like an encyclopedia. It's an open source site where anyone can contribute -- I think you have to be a member though. Any edits are first reviewed by a staff. I think the "discussion" tab shows where there are disagreements over what's contained in the main section. Pretty interesting stuff -- but like with any open source of this sort -- you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Now this I find interesting. I never sat through the new and improved version of PFAL so help me out here.

When LCM was covering this section how did he account for this verse?

Genesis 3:6 ". . . she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

I mean -- if Eve's sin was having sex with the Devil disguised as a woman did Adam partake of that fruit by having a threesome or did the Devil change into a man?

Larry, Larry, Larry, what makes you think LCM referred to the Bible for his doctrine??? He was the MOG, he said it, that settled it!!! ;)

You left TWI to early, you didn't stick around for the REAL fun. ;)

The article does say that The Way had always been against homosexuality, it was the way that the TWI position became a "purge" that was Martindale's.

Many people, leadership, were on board with him 100%. Remember the letter he sent out? It was not just his views, it was the ministrys views.

Why were they on board? Maybe had something to do with that whole Man of God teaching that TWI loved to promote.

Many people, leadership, were on board with him 100%. Remember the letter he sent out? It was not just his views, it was the ministrys views.

Why were they on board? Maybe had something to do with that whole Man of God teaching that TWI loved to promote.

I agree, it should say "TWI teaches" not Martindale only as it appears as though he taught contrary to and independent of standard TWI doctrine when that's not the case. Every single one of his minions taught the exact same thing and they were/are the ones who enforce said doctrines.

IMO, the comments/discussion section of the entry is way more interesting than the actual entry itself.