GreaseSpot Cafe

Let There Be Light!

socks

My Wife went to Wal Mart this evening. She survived. She also bought something really cool.

Wal Mart has a hand crank flashlight, for 7.00 - seven bucks. It's an emergency style flashlight, but would work anytime natch. Crank the pop out handle a few times and sweet jumpin' jellybeans! You got light.

For seven bucks, can't beat it with a stick. I got some hand crank emergency radio/cellphone chargers last year, 40 bucks each. These are so cheap, it's like putting money in your pocket. At 7.00 dineros, what's not to like.

No batteries, no charger plug in to lose. Crank it and bank it.

They're made in China, fairly sturdy. No warnings or disclaimers ("do not use this product as a floatation device or hat. Should not be placed over the face or eaten if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant if Dummy ever pops the question."). None of that. Pretty straightforward.

Hope this improves your lives in untold ways. Fondly, your pal,

socks

Edited by socks

I got a flashlight with a long barrel. There is a stationary cylinder which has wire wrapped around it, and a smaller metal cylinder shaped like a battery. Shake the flashlight quickly and you produce enough electricity that the battery will hold for about an hour's use. As long as you have enough food to give you enough energy to shake this thing, you'll have light!

thank you for this information.

i do not shop for stuff , shopping is to expensive i just once or twice a month go in and get tp or whatever i need .

i saw this and thought wow what a great gift this would be for the children for christmas .

i will go look thank you again

Those "shake lights" do work very well. Two weeks ago we had a bad storm and the power went out for a short time. I shook my light exactly 100 times (just to see how long it would last) and laid it on the desk. The whole room was lit, dimly, but I could walk around and not kill myself - and I could read on my desk. The light never wavered for more than 90 min until the power came back.

The only bad thing is that if you charge it and leave it, the "power" dissipates very quickly...so shake it just before you want to use it.