GreaseSpot Cafe

Orientalisms

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of this. I am interested in orientalisms and recently found this existed, but I don't know where to get it.

Orientalisms: The bible is an Eastern Book - 10 Tapes by Bo. Rehard

You don't need Bo Rehard, unless you just want him. You can go to

http://www.christianbook.com

Manners and Customs in the Bible, Third Edition

By: Victor H. Matthews

Hendrickson Publishers / 2006 / Hardcover

(Rate This Product)

Retail Price: $24.95

CBD Price: $14.99

You Save $9.96 (40%)

Buy 20 or more of this product and pay only $14.24 each.

Availability: In Stock

CBD Stock Number: WW37046

Product Description

How can one fully comprehend the Old Testament book of Ruth without understanding ancient Israelite marriage traditions? Even a quick skim of the Gospels has you wondering about tax collectors, religious officials, fishermen, and farmers. And so much is missed when reading Acts and the Epistles without some grasp of Roman law and government. Now newly revised and fully updated, each chapter of Manners & Customs in the Bible furnishes an introduction to the political and physical setting of specific periods in Israel's history and outlines the basic structure of its social world. Scripture passages are featured alongside the text to keep relevant biblical passages in view. 150 new color photos and illustrations, new maps and diagrams, and a new glossary make this a must have resource for your library!

Victor H. Matthews is professor of religious studies at Southwest Missouri State University. He received a PhD from Brandeis University and has written numerous popular as well as scholarly articles. He is the author of Manners and Customs in the Bible, and co-author of Old Testament Parallels: Laws and Stories from the Ancient Near East and The Social World of Ancient Israel.

Other books are by KC Pilai, George Lamsa, Rocco Errico, Howard Voss, Ralph Gower revised Fred Wight, JL Packer/MC Tenney,

and John Schoenheit revised George Mackie, and James Freeman. All can be found on www. bookfinder.com or on ebay.

Outfield, there have been a few discussions about the validity of those orientalism teachings... Not sure how much stock I'd put into the teachings unless Bo has really researched the orientalisms using sources other than vee pee, lamsa and pallai.

TheInvisibleDan recommends William R Herzog on this thread.

Here are a few comments here at the cafe I was able to find.

Fishy

More fishy

REAL Biblical Research?

Are they actually true?

Eli, Eli?

Wacko?

Wow, I'm getting lost in the "search" mode finding some really cool, really old threads, so I'm going to stop here. Just, my point in doing all this was to please check any "research" from TWI or TWI offshoots against outside, proven, reliable sources. Bo may be a great man, but if the source of his information is limited to TWI, Pillai, Lamsa and the likes, it could just be a regurgitation of what we've already learned..... stuff that is not necessarily accurate.

The whole idea that The Bible hasn't had enough research done on it, is pretty laughable in retrospect.

Lordy, the very idea that somehow there are whole worlds of understanding left undiscovered between it's pages - despite the fact that it's been LABORIOUSLY pored over CONTINUOUSLY for the last TWO millenia - strains credulity.

So, while it no doubt is a great ego booster to consider that one has stumbled upon hitherto unknown truths of God, the concept is pretty flakey (as are the "truths"), given what dedicated scribes and scholars have undertaken for centuries...

George, your avatar makes you look like Hiro from NBC's Heroes(do you use your samari sword?).

I found the Bo Rehard Orientalisms online -- thanks for all the insite.

Anyone ever heard of the Collaterals:

So you want to read faster...

and

Understanding what you read?

Yup

I think I might have them somewhere. Not sure.

There was another one about understanding Greek, as well.

I'm not sure I would label them collaterals.

Maybe peripherals would be more accurate.

OK, I know that's a silly little point.

I just meant that they are not related to the PFAL class, specifically, like the other materials that are considered collaterals.

I'll try to see if I still have them but it's been a long time and several moves since I saw them.

Thanks Waysider,

Do you recall who the authors are?

Fundamentals of Greek Research-----Walter J. Cummins(25-30 pages)

(Very basic, more like an overview than a lesson.)

So You Want To Read Faster-----------Donald E. Wierwille(2 or 3 pages)

Understanding What You Read---------Donald E. Wierwille(2 or 3 pages)

(Probably the first 10 minutes of a high school English class lecture.)

There was also a booklet called:

Christian Etiquette------Dorothy Owens

(Which we used in Fellow Laborers of Ohio)

I always thought this one was pretty good when not viewed as some kind of "Law".

If I remember correctly, it was one of the few of such booklets that seemed academically honest in that she made a full disclosure of her sources and didn't pretend these were her ideas or that they came by revelation.

A couple more that I remember are:

I Can Do All Things-----Peter J. Wade

The Secret Of Radiant Living--Peter J. Wade

The Spoken Word------Walter J. Cummins

I'll keep looking.

If I find them I will send you a PM.

Edited by waysider