GreaseSpot Cafe

Watch this only if you have a strong stomach

Sudo

Master P has it right... good suggestions for peace of mind... or to get the H out!

I would only add that sometimes it depends upon what day you arrive... if you're staying at a 'business' hotel in a city that's a 'destination city' then they sometimes let things slip because there's a quick turnaround on almost all of the rooms. What I mean is you have almost all of the rooms checking out on Friday morning and then they're all sold for Friday night and there's just not enough time (usually) to clean them properly. Times like that are more likely to cause the staff to cut corners to get the folks out of the lobby and into a room. Same thing with destination resorts... most have packages that run the same days so unless they stagger their packages, you have a full house checking out and a full house checking in on the same day...

Now that's an area where we rely upon you Senor Bump!

Well, obviously there are hotels and there are “hellsholes”! I tend to try and avoid the the latter! Some of them in Dakar, Banjul, etc., can be quite interesting, whether it’s the plumbing or just the clientele. Public “hygiene” is just a question of interpretation, or possibly just what you can’t see...few complain.

“Jungle” hotels are another matter because there are all kinds of noises in the night which might keep you awake for a variety of reasons. Some are noisier than others, and some make you think you’re imagining things, like where is that “security” guy? Some sounds you wish would just go away. When you see dead rats on the floor in the morning though,

you know breakfast arrived early! :rolleyes:

Anyway, it would be funny for me to compare what someone else’s experiences are? :biglaugh:

I described the two videos to a fellow-traveler at work (the TV station had taken them off their Web site), and she had the same thought I had: Neither of us has ever seen a tray of clean glasses on a housekeeping cart. Never, and we've both stayed in a lot of hotels for business travel. Sorta makes you go hmmmmm, doesn't it?

I have NEVER seen this.

Therefore----------

It has NEVER happened.

I think you are all just being negative and trying to drag down the hospitality industry, which we all should know by now, was inspired by direct revelation from Gawd!!

That's from session #1 of Power For Abundant Traveling.

Hotels 6:1

"And the Lord said, 'Let there be Hotels!'"

And the hotels prospered and multiplied.

I think it's about time you all stop bashing this noble industry and GET OVER IT!!!!

I think it's about time you all stop bashing this noble industry and GET OVER IT!!!!

now you're mixing your metaphors threads :biglaugh:

It is easier to just sleep in the car at a rest stop, down by the river ...

a case of beer in the cooler in the trunk ... I don't need no steenkin' uncleaning ladies ...

When I tried to go to the site it gave me a message that said no stories are available. Did they take it off???? I wanna see so I can :realmad: too. Actually I was looking for the emoticon of the little guy puking but couldn't find him anywhere!!! hmmm

Edited by Edi

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little addendum...

We stayed at an Embassy Suites hotel in Richmond, Va for Thanksgiving. When we checked in I asked the young ladies at the counter if the glasses in the room were put through a dishwasher or were they just cleaned in the room by housekeeping. Both of the ladies insisted that the glasses were washed in dishwashers.

Well, I suspected they weren't and sure enough when I saw a housekeeping cart on our floor there were no glasses on it. I asked the housekeeper how she cleaned the glasses and she flat out told me that she just rinsed them out in the sink. Maybe it was the look on my face but she then added a little hastily that she rinsed them in hot water and let the water run over them while she was cleaning the room. I guess she thought hot tap water killed germs.

I told Suda and when we checked out she confronted the ladies at the counter about the matter. They both seemed genuinely shocked that the glasses were only rinsed out with water. They said they were going to tell the manager. Yeah, like he doesn't know, huh? This sure seems to be the standard way of taking care of the glasses in hotels across the country. What surprises me is that no one seemed to be aware of it.

I wonder if the hotel managers who approve this practice would be OK coming into a dental office where they just rinse off the instruments with hot water between patients.

sudo

• 3 weeks later...

Linda,

Sure thing. This link gets them the web page version: http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/dont_e...m_hotel_glasses I'm glad this "dirty little secret" in the hotel industry is getting the attention it deserves. As I posted, even the employees in the hotel weren't aware that room glasses didn't get washed.

Oh, the follow up video where they go to the really exclusive hotels is on that site, too, in fine print. Here's that link: http://www.bestviral.com/video/7380/dirty_...crets_follow_up

sudo