carrots, zucchini and yellow summer squash, cut julienne−style

broccoli and cauliflower, cut into small florets

green pepper and mushrooms, thinly sliced

snow peas, whole

juice of 1/2 lemon

3 flour tortillas, warmed

lime wedge, for garnish

To make pesto, put cilantro and garlic in a food processor and

process until finely chopped. With machine on, gradually add olive oil.

Season and blend in cheese.

Slice enough onion to equal about 1/2 cup. Saute with margarine in a

small cast−iron skillet over medium−high heat. Cook past translucent

stage until browned, about six to eight minutes.

Prepare about 2 cups of vegetables −− the combination depends on

personal taste. Cook all vegetables except mushrooms in lemon juice

and 2 tablespoons of pesto over medium to medium−high heat. When

almost at al−dente stage, add sliced mushrooms. Continue cooking for

about one minute. (The remaining pesto can be refrigerated for future

use.)

Place vegetable mixture over sizzling onions, then spoon

vegetable−onion mixture into center of warmed tortillas. Top with

condiments (guacamole, sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, salsa)

to taste, then roll up tortillas.

Edited by bowtwi

VEGGIE PIZZAS

1/2 cup dried tomatoes

1 small purple onion, thinly sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, rained

1 (4-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

4 cup chopped fresh basil

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese

LET dried tomatoes stand in water to cover 10 minutes; drain well, pressing between layers of paper towels. Chop tomatoes.

STIR together onion and next 5 ingredients. Sprinkle tomato over pizza crusts; top evenly with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place pizzas on baking sheets.

BAKE at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 4 servings.

Prep: 12 min., Bake: 8 min.

Edited by bowtwi

Found on a food blog:

I love these for lunch. They taste good cold the next day, so sometimes I make a double batch to ensure I will have leftovers.

Chickpea Patties

1 onion, chopped

2 or 3 stalks celery, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons of salt

1-tablespoon basil

1-cup breadcrumbs

2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

Olive oil

Heat olive oil on medium heat, sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent.

Add the garlic and celery and sauté a few more minutes.

Now add the rinsed and drained beans, salt, and basil and cook until heated through.

Remove from heat

Time to mash the beans... This is easiest done with a food processor, or a potato masher (some texture should remain)

the mashing can be done with a fork (I have done this) but it is a little difficult.

Once the beans have been mashed add the breadcrumbs and mix it all together (if it is too dry, add a little water, if you add too much water add a little flour)

Shape the mixture into patties (palm size or smaller is good)

Heat more olive oil in a skillet on medium

add the patties cook for about 10 minutes on each side be careful when you flip them- they are delicate and want to crumble

(I used a spatula and with a fork to guide the pattie)

Drain on paper towels

These can be served a million ways

try it on a pita, hamburger bun, fresh bread, or even on it’s own good with lots of different toppings I am partial to tahini, or ketchup (way better than it sounds)

Add whatever sandwhich toppings you have on hand

(lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, etc...)

I have not tried baking these instead of frying, but it would be interesting to see how they would turn out

I have baked them as leftovers to reheat, and that was good

One of my favorites:

Bulgur with Mushrooms & Blue Cheese

1 tablespoon olive or canola oil

1 cup uncooked bulgur

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (3 oz)

1/3 cup chopped green onions

2 cups veggie broth

1/2 cup chopped Granny Smith apple

2 tablespoons chopped walnuts

2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese

1. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add bulgur, mushrooms and onions; cook, stirring frequently, until bulgur is golden and mushrooms are tender.

2. Stir in broth. Heat to boiling, stirring once or twice; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 15 minutes (do not lift cover or stir). Remove from heat.

3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Fluff lightly with fork.

Spinach Calzones with Blue Cheese

Ingredients

1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust

Cooking spray

4 garlic cloves, minced

4 cups spinach leaves

8 (1/8-inch-thick) slices Vidalia or other sweet onion

1 1/3 cups sliced cremini or button mushrooms

3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled blue cheese

Preheat oven to 425°.

Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; cut into 4 quarters. Pat each quarter into a 6 x 5-inch rectangle.

Sprinkle garlic evenly over rectangles.

Top each rectangle with 1 cup spinach, 2 onion slices, 1/3 cup mushrooms, and 3 tablespoons cheese.

Bring 2 opposite corners to center, pinching points to seal.

Bring remaining 2 corners to center, pinching all points together to seal. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden.

Yellow Pepper Soup

1/2 cup olive oil

1 yellow onion, diced

1 carrot, peeled and minced

1 celery stalk, diced

6 cups vegetable stock

8 large yellow bell peppers, halved and seeded

1 tsp minced fresh thyme

salt, and ground pepper to taste

6-12 fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian) leaves

In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and saute, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 5-7 minutes.

Add the stock, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the pepper, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer until the peppers are very tender, 30-35 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Working in batches, and using a slotten spoon, transfer the peppers, onions, carrot and celery to a blender or food processor. Add some of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Return to the saucepan and place over medium heat.

Add the thyme, bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes to blend the flavors, Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle into warmed soup bowls or mugs and garnish each bowl with 1 0r 2 parsley leaves. Serve at once.

*You can make half the recipe with yellow peppers and half the recipe with red. Then simultaneously and carefully pour the two soups into each bowl from opposite sides, so the each color fills half the bowl. If you like spicy soups, try adding some hot peppers.

From Vegetarian for All Seasons by Williams-Sonoma

I have lots of vegetarian recipes. Do you need fast and easy recipes to get a meal on the table quick, or do you want something more elaborate?

Here's a fast one:

Southwestern Red Beans and Rice

2 1/4 cups brown rice

3T olive oil

3 onions, finely chopped

1 green bell pepper, seeded, deribbed, and sliced

1 1/2T chili powder

1t cumin

1t garlic powder

3 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 1/2 cups salsa

1/2 cup water

Tofutti Sour Supreme (optional)

Cook rice. Set aside and keep warm.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about three minutes. Add spices and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Add beans, salsa, and water, cook about 5 more minutes.

Serve over rice with a dollop of Sour Supreme.

Serves 6.

Hey guys! Great recipes!

Vegan - I'm looking for fast and elaborate. For some reason recently meat makes my stomach turn even though I don't consider myself a vegetarian -- I am just trying to eat less of it and I like Veggie food!

Maybe it's the PETA video I watched....

Anyways - I need to learn how to get more protein without the meat (when I'm not eating it).

Thanks for all you guy's help.

Oven-Dried Tomato and Lentil Soup

6 plum (Roma) tomatoes, quartered lengthwise

Coarse sea salt

1 1/2 cups dried green lentils

3 TBS extra-virgin olive oil

1 yellow onion, minced

1 carrot, peeled and minced

1 celery stalk, minced

6 cups vegetable stock

1 lb red new potatoes, unpeeled, quartered

1 TBS minced fresh rosemary

salt and ground pepper to taste

Preheat an oven to 250*F. Place the tomatoes, cut sides up, on a rack set on a baking sheet. Sprinkle wit sea salt and place in the oven for about 2 hours. The tomatoes will dehydrate and intensify in flavor, but should still be a little soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, pick over the lentils and discard any damaged lentils or impurities. Rinse the lentils. Place in a bowl and add water to cover generously. Let soak for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.

In a saucpan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and saute until golden brouwn, 5-7 minutes. Add the stock, drained lentils, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils and potatoes are tender, 30-40 minutes.

Add the reserved tomatoes and the rosemary and continue to simmer, stirring gently to retain the shape of the tomatoes, until the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.

* You can use 12 dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes in place of the oven-dried tomatoes. Saok them in 1 1/2 cups warm stock or warm water for 20 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid, and proceed as instructed in the recipe. Use the reserved soaking liquid in place of 1 1/2 cups of the vegetable stock.

If you want to oven-dry a big batch of tomatoes to use for future use, store them in the freezer. They will keep for up to 3 months.

Vegetarian for All Seasons - Williams-Sonoma

Yes, Eyes... you can add hot peppers to this as well...;)

Edited by doojable

I doubled this recipe, and used it for Christmas one year. I used red and green bell peppers, and thought I was very festive! Looking back, it was pretty hokey. But the recipe is good!

Stuffed Peppers

2T olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

3 cloves garlic

2 cups finely chopped mushrooms

1T chile powder

1t salt

1(15-oz) can tomato sauce

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup quinoa

4 bell peppers

1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1t maple syrup

Cilantro for garnish

In saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in oil for 3-5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and mushrooms, sauté about 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings, quinoa, 1 cup tomato sauce, and water. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 and prepare the peppers: Boil a large pot of water. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Boil for 5 minutes, and drain.

Combine beans and maple syrup with cooked quinoa mixture. Stuff peppers with filling and stand upright in a baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with cilantro, serve.

Edited by VeganXTC

Another Williams-Sonoma recipe:

Stuffed Anaheim Chiles with Creamy Guacamole Sause

Creamy Guacamole

2 ripe avacados, pitted and peeled

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup vegetable stock

1 tsp grated lemon zest

salt and pepper to taste

red pepper flakes to taste

Chiles

8 Anaheim chiles

3 TBS olive oil

1 red onion, minced

1 1/4 cups vegetable stock

1/2 cup medium-grain white rice

2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced

2 TBS minced fresh cilantro

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I'd use Sharp)

salt and pepper to taste

To make the sauce, in a blender or food processor, combine the avacados, sour cream, stock, and lemon zest. Process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.

Preheat broiler (or griller). Place the chiles on a baking sheet. Broil (or grill) , turning as needed, until the skins blacken and blister. Remove from the broiler, drape the peppers loosely with aluminum foil, and let cool for 10 minutes, then peel away the skins. Make a lengthwise slit in each chile and carefully remove the seeds. Leave the stems intact and try to maintain the shape of the chiles. Set the chiles aside.

Preheat an oven to 375*F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.

To make the filling, in a saute pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high, pour in the stock, and deglaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to dislodge any browned bits from the pan bottom. Add the rice, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cillantro and heat through. Add the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

Spoon the filling into the chiles, packing them well and keeping their shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet, slit sides up, cover with aluminum foil, and bake until the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.

To serve, transfer the chiles to warmed individual plates, allowing 2 chilies for each serving. Pass the guacomole sauce at the table.

*Anaheim chiies are mild. If you prefer a slightly spicier dish, use poblanos and sprinkle a little chili powder on top before serving.

While by no means a vegetarian nor a vegan there are some excellent recipes in the book entitled "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" - Mollie Katzen. There is a really good recipe for spiced baked tofu nerds that replace those toast nerds on salads.

Meanwhile - raw fish for our house tonight - kids are craving sashimi.

Nerds? Are those the same as croutons???

One more from the same cookbook:

Grilled Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms on Porcini Couscous

This is an elegant main course if you want something a bit fancier - If you're sceptical about the nutrition - the book states that each serving has 13 grams of protein.

4 fresh portobello mushrooms, each 3"-4" in diameter

3 TBS extra-virgin olive oil

1 shallot, minced

1/2 cup vegetable stock

1 sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated

1/2 lb spinach leaves, coarsely chopped

(1/2 tsp spicy Thai curry - my addition)

Pinch of nutmeg (also my addition.)

salt and ground pepper to taste

1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

1/4 cup dried porcini, soaked in 2 cups warm vegetable stock for 20 minutes

1 cup quick-cooking couscous

2 TBS minced fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley

1 tsp minced fresh thyme

Prepare a fire in a grill. Lightly brush the rack with olive oil. (If you don't have a grill- you can use your oven to heat the mushrooms through. Arrange them on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a 375*F oven for 10-12 minutes.)

Brush the portobello mushrooms clean, then cut off the stems and remove the dark gills. Set mushroom caps aside.

In a saute pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the shallot and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the stock, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the sweet potato. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-8 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 4-5 minutes. Add Thai curry and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

Add the ricotta to the spinach mixture and stir to combine. Spoon into the mushroom caps, dividing it evenly. Place the mushrooms, filled sides up, on the grill rack about 4" above the fire and grill untill completely heated through, about 10 minutes. (See above about using the oven.)

Meanwhile, drain the porcini, reserving the liquid. Chop the porcini. Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve lined with a double thickness of cheesecloth into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, add the couscous, parsley, and thyme, remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and add the porcini. Fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until the grilled mushrooms are ready.

Spoon the couscous onto a warmed serving platter and arrange the stuffed mushrooms on top. Serve at once.

Edited by doojable

Vegetarian soup:

1. 50 gallons of water

2. 25# each of a. onions b. carrots c. celery

3. Various spices and whatnot

Boil 1 vegetarian for several hours, add other ingredients, salt and pepper to taste

Serves 15 or 20 carnivores...

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

My son and his partner (aka girlfriend, "if we must") prepared this dish tonight for us. It is one of his favorites, and now I am in love! this is actually a vegan recipe, but it fits in with a vegetarian thread.

Portobella Mushroom Bake

from: The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer

Many friendships have been cultivated and nurtured because of this dish. sometimes one should double up on the sauce, as it is so delicious. Serve over rice or couscous.

1/2 cup almonds

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup Braggs (essentially soysauce)

1/4- 1/2 cup water

2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

1 tsp dried rosemary

1 tsp dried oregano

4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed

1 medium onion, sliced

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a blender or food processor, blend the almonds until powdered. Add oil, Braggs, water, vinegar, garlic, rosemary and oregano, and blend until well combined. In a large baking dish, place the mushrooms upside down and top with onions. Pour sauce over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve over rice or couscous Makes 2-4 servings

Braggs: http://bragg.com/products/liquidaminos.html

enjoy peace,

~HAP

• 1 month later...

This was posted by *****ABIGAIL****** Sushi doesn't cook vegetarian - ROFLOL

Hooner,

The chickpea recipe you posted sounds like falefal (I LOVE THAT STUFF). They aren't as good baked though. :( A great dip for them . . . take a small container of low fat cottage cheese, add about 4 tablespoons of plain low fat yogurt. Season with a bit of salt and some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning. YUM!!!

Here's another vegie recipe I cooked up today.

16 oz package of dried peas

1 large onion

2 elephant garlic cloves (not the entire bulb!!) or a about 1/2 bulb of regular garlic

salt

cayene pepper

garam marsala (should be able to find it among the spices at most grocery stores)

soak the peas in a couple of cups of water for an hour then boil them. You will probably have to add more water as you are boiling them. You want them to become a mash - thicker than soup, a paste, but not too thick.

While those are cooking brown the chopped onion WITHOUT oil in the pan. When they are starting to turn brown (NOT BLACK) add a bit of oil and the minced garlic.

Brown for a few minutes more then add the pea paste, salt, cayene (I like a LOT) and just a shake or two of the garam marsala.

It is great served over Injura Bread - recipe as follows (though I am playing around with this recipe a bit still)

• 1/4 cup teff flour or whole wheat

• 3/4 self rising flour

• 1 cup water

• 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking powder

• peanut or vegetable oil

sift dry ingredients. Mix in water, fry thin pieces on one side until the top side is dry flip and fry on other side for about 10 seconds and remove from pan.

You want to make them about the size of small pancakes and you want the batter to be on the thin side - it will puff up when it cooks.

I'm going to try the Injura bread today with some modifications.

I'm going to use

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup flax seed flour

1/4 cup self rising flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 cup vinegar

3/4 cup water

Edited by Sushi