GreaseSpot Cafe

Happy Winter Solstice

GarthP2000

snowinfrontofhouse_01.jpgWE_WinterSolstice_Hopkins_050605_lg.jpg

Happy Winter Solstice to all. A holiday of the celebration of when the sun starts its rise (and according to ancient myths, rebirth) back from the middle of cold, cold winter, bringing the promise of new life and warmth.

A holiday from whence all other similar holidays of this type (including Christmas) sprang. A holiday from where we get holiday wreaths, Christmas trees, Father Christmas, mistletoes, tree lights, holiday dinners, ... and just about most of the images and things that we today associate with Christmas.

What we did NOT get from this ancient holiday however, ...................... is that damn &@$#*@& Xmas muzack that you hear piping over and over and over and over again in the mall!!! :CUSSING:

:who_me:

Anywho, Happy Winter Solstice Holidays to all, ..... and drive safely on New Years Eve!

:wave:

I think the coldest day is toward the end of January as the earth is still holding enough heat now, to keep things a little warmer.

So the coldest temperatures lag the shortest day by 6 weeks or so, like the warmer ocean temps (and atmospheric CO2) lag global warming trends by a hundred years or whatever ...

But I'll celebrate the solstice with you Garth, though we missed it by 4 days ... are there any cool traditions with that? Oh yeah .. all the regular Christmas traditions go with that ...

YuleLog05.jpg

I think I made a little yuletide log once ... looks like a fire hazard ...

... Oh yeah .. all the regular Christmas traditions go with that ...

Yeah. Too bad a lot of folks don't consider Winter Solstice, and all of its origins that led to Christmas, ... traditional ;). Especially the ones who freak out when you say "Happy Holidays" or any of the other non-Christian greetings to them.

Maybe they just need a good cup o' eggnog to calm down with,

eggnog.jpg

and wait for New Years Eve!

drinks1.jpg

:drink:

i didnt make anything special but I am enjoying the (slightly) longer days, the 'rebirth of the sun', and the 'coming of the light'

"Darkness" is necessary, but no place, at least for me, to live. I dont like it. I much prefer the 'climbing out'period than the 'going in'. It is much more hopeful.

I definitely understand why our ancestors had cause for celebration.

Happy post solstice to everyone

Next stop spring

mstar1 I really like you! I've learned a lot about you from your posts over the past year or so. But I have to be honest with you.....I hate that bug - - it drives me crazy! If there was a way for me to kill it, I might - - but killing is not my style. I really hope it is not contageous or infectious.

mwah!

Here's a link with different Solstice traditions. http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/celsolstice.html

My own personal traditions for Solstice include having like-minded Pagans over, we each bring an ancestral dish (I do the Irish Colcannon), exchange gifts, and enjoy each others company around a bon-fire on Solstice night. Before leaving New Orleans, a dear friend would have a Winter Solstice breakfast where we gathered before dawn, broke bread together, exchanged gifts and had divination. It was a wonderful time with many Pagans from various traditions but Winter Solstice was a common Holy Day for all of us.

Where I'm living now, most Pagans are in the closet and I've only met 4 here. There isn't even a Unitarian Church in this town. Many Christian Churches to choose from, but no other temples, synogogues, etc. So I had Solstice at my house and had 2 of my Pagan friends over (they moved up here after Katrina also). We had a good time.