GreaseSpot Cafe

God's Problem

For anyone interested, here's a link to an interview of the author on NPR. I find the book fascinating and very pertinent to the topic of why we suffer. Ehrman also authored, Misquoting Jesus. IMO both books are excellent.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=19096131

Edited by penworks

Thanks for the post, penworks! I have to agree, the book is excellent. I found his discussion of suffering to be quite enlightening and he had me thinking about the bible, spirituality and generally living life in ways I never had before.

I also enjoyed his discussions on how he came to be an agnostic. Perhaps not for everyone, but that is the path I have found myself on and I enjoyed reading about his experience.

A book well worth reading.

-JJ

interesting, penworks

at a glance, it seems to me that Ehrman has experienced the limits of a mythic worldview

and is living in the afterglow/math of a more rational agnosticism

wondering...can either you or jj summarize his answer (or find his summary online) to that age old question "if a loving God...why suffering?"

i havent listened through the entire 45-minute conversation

and i cant find his answer to his question anywhere else

thanks

+ODD

Edited by sirguessalot

wondering...can either you or jj summarize his answer (or find his summary online) to that age old question "if a loving God...why suffering?"

Sure Sir,

Basically he takes the position that the question is ultimately unanswerable. Not in the sense that God reproved Job for asking, but more along the lines of Ecclesiastes in that some things in this life are just plain vain and ultimately unknowable, so get on with living.

I'm not sure that is an entirely satisfactory answer, but I'm also not sure there is much of a better one out there.

As an overview, here are some other biblical causes of suffering noted in the book:

1) God's punishment for disobedience (the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the fall of both OT kingdoms)

2) Consequences of people's sin (Cain murdering Abel, David murdering Uriah, the rich exploiting the poor)

3) Redemptive (Joseph sold into slavery but ultimately saves Israel; part of God's plan)

4) A test (Job, Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac)

5) Apocalyptic (Cosmic enemies, like the devil. Jesus and Paul taught this; but things will be righted at a later time)

Hope this helps some.

-JJ

I would agree, Sir. But until something changes radically, well, God isn't talking and people are only guessing...

-JJ

i have to say that i cant bring my self to agree with these 3 points,

...but i'm also guessing it might be better for me to participate in a separate thread on the nature of suffering or something, as i havent read Ehrman's book

Edited by sirguessalot

i have to say that i cant bring my self to agree with these 3 points,

...but i'm also guessing it might be better for me to participate in a separate thread on the nature of suffering or something, as i havent read Ehrman's book

I'm almost finished reading Ehrman's book and so far find his arguments compelling. One point in particular about his approach to the scriptures that is impressive is that he sticks with the context of each view found in each separate book written by each separate author. This enabled me to sort out the different views and why the writers had them. To me it's extrememly important to understand each book in its historical context. If you can, give this book as an objective a read as you can and think it over...

Jump in, Sir. I don't think penworks would mind. And the nature of suffering in the world isn't dependent on Bart Ehrman! :)

-JJ

Jump in, Sir. I don't think penworks would mind. And the nature of suffering in the world isn't dependent on Bart Ehrman! :)

-JJ

Agreed!

a few things...

i would have to say that Ehrman would go much farther in his quest

if he were to at least examine and compare his preferred scriptures (and preferred interpretations)

with the scriptures and interpretations of other world traditions ("scriptures," philosophies, wisdoms, living teachers, etc..)

...or at least as many as he can comprehend

and i must also add

that he seems to be taking the natural necessary steps

in realizing the limits of a "mythic" worldview

and leaning into a more "rational" worldview

but a life-altering shift in worldviews is no small event for any of us

and i couldn't blame him for not immediately leaping into the worldview that i first suggested

because a worldview that would dare to compare all world scriptures with integrity

does not come until the limits of a rational worldview have been exhausted

and one cant skip worldviews in this way, anyway

as each worldview emerges from the failures of previous worldviews

essentially building on the failures of previous worldviews

(but hopefully including the positive aspects)

but it is only natural for a rational worldview to be highly concerned with finding the holes in the logic of previous mythic interpretations, as healthy skepticism, objectivity, and critical thinking are some of the beautiful hallmarks of rational thought.

but a very common mistake made by rational thinkers (as it seems Erhman is beginning to make)

is how, in debunking the myths of fundamentalist, or ethnocentric view of God

they tend to then dismiss ALL notions that use the word "God"...and Bibles

which includes worldviews about suffering that the newborn rationalist has not experienced

and ...please know that i am writing in a very simple general overview of my perspectives

and obviously leaving quite a bit of detail out

that said...

the rational worldview cannot find an answer to "if a loving God, why suffering?"

in part, because the answer is not merely an objective one

it is, at least, all at once...objective, interobjective, subjective and intersubjective

which is at least 3 times as much as a rational worldview can handle

and the mythic worldview can't answer it

in part, because the answer is not merely an intersubjective one

such as when a group agrees that "God" is a powerful entity that acts like they want humans to act

..they will always be disappointed...and forced to continue to modify the myth to deal with the outrageous contradictions

("why would a loving God (who acts like a perfect human) allow the billions of human infants to die tragically?")

eventually, one can see that the problem is not in the answer

but in the quality of the question

i, my self, would dare to say that suffering is the nature of the entire universe

and from "God's" perspective...suffering is good, true and beautiful

but only if suffering is truly universal...can it be so

when we are focused on merely human forms of suffering

or merely "why my human group suffers"

and "why their human group suffers"

...the integral question will continue to elude us...

the causes and effects of suffering (and therefore "blame")

can only be seen if an entire chain of being ("kingdom/s of God")

is included in one's contemplation of suffering

when we remember how the human form has only barely recently emerged from a very long history of suffering,

(big bangs...planet formation...flora and fauna finding a gazillion different ways to die...etc...)

when we are NOT relying on an anthropomorphic myth of God

(but on higher-wider-deeper meanings of "God" ...as known in the depths of most all traditions)

we may see that there is no guarantee of earned safety and bliss for any human ego...

and yet how "God" is always already also "there" to "save" the reality of who we are ...pure formless spirit

perhaps a way to help us view "suffering"

is to stop using the word "suffering" altogether (for awhile)

and find other words and phrases and descriptions

that more adequately describe what we are looking into..and why

such as...

to suffer is to exist

is to change...is to transform...

and to transform is to lose some thing...

and to suffer loss is to experience loss

and to experience transformation

because our experience is always changing...

our experience is as fluid as fire...

and "God" is an all-consuming fire

from which there is "no escape"

although using negative-seeming terminology to express inevitable forces

is also often mistaken for mere negativity

ok,

enough from me for now

its probably not hard to see why i hang out in the dungeon

feel free to contribute, comment, inquire, reflect, ignore, etc...

in all curiousity, kindness, and precision

+ODD

Edited by sirguessalot

It's kind of funny how 'mythical' and 'rational' mean separate things to some people.

Till you add mythical 'world view', then it adds that "common" taboo and basic "I don't want anyone to think I'm crazy". But it ain't crazy.

And then the rational 'world view' which one can escape or hide or not have to deal with the "mythical".

Which is more REAL then the "rational world view" of which the rational can and does get rationalized to nothing.

Although both fall together so beautifully when it can be allowed to.

Hi Sir!

i would have to say that Ehrman would go much farther in his quest

if he were to at least examine and compare his preferred scriptures (and preferred interpretations)

with the scriptures and interpretations of other world traditions ("scriptures," philosophies, wisdoms, living teachers, etc..)

...or at least as many as he can comprehend

I suspect at a theoretical level you are right, but that wasn't the purpose of his book. He is specifically addessing God as 'defined' in the bible and the title pretty much says that. From where I sit, that next step would be mine to take. I am woefully undereducated in other world views but I think the effort would probably be rewarding. (Not that I'll be taking on that project any time soon!)

the rational worldview cannot find an answer to "if a loving God, why suffering?"

it is, at least, all at once...objective, interobjective, subjective and intersubjective

So, in the end you're saying there is no real answer to the question? at least not one we are currently equipped to answer?

i, my self, would dare to say that suffering is the nature of the entire universe

and from "God's" perspective...suffering is good, true and beautiful

but only if suffering is truly universal...can it be so

I would tend to agree that suffering is universal, at least here on this planet. From the plankton getting eaten in the sea to the overpopulation of dogs getting put down at the SPCA to the humans being born with cancer. It does seem built into the nature of things. "Good, true and beautiful" is, I think, debatable.

Well, isn't that what we're talking about? That was the basis of Ehrman's book. And isn't that what the bible teaches? an omnipotent and omnipresent spiritual being who has his hands in human destiny (figuratively speaking).

perhaps a way to help us view "suffering"

is to stop using the word "suffering" altogether (for awhile)

and find other words and phrases and descriptions

that more adequately describe what we are looking into..and why

such as...

to suffer is to exist

is to change...is to transform...

and to transform is to lose some thing...

and to suffer loss is to experience loss

and to experience transformation

Hah! The first word you used was suffer. :)

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure it's a lot different than Ehrman's concept of 'redemptive' suffering. Somehow, in the end, all will be well. You changed some words but basically you're saying there is some kind of greater good that can be achieved / perceived / understood / ... through the suffering. Somewhere in the midst of it all, there is meaning to be found.

Unless, of course, you're the dead guy. It's hard to pursue meaning in that state.

-JJ

hi jj

thanks for being patient

mostly, i'm not sure how to respond

but i'm also currently unable to sit still and write very much

but i'll say this...

worldviews change many times in one's life

one of the things i like most about ehrman's book (from what i've gleaned of it)

is how he is writing of his experience of transformation

sorry to bail out on ya

Todd

Edited by sirguessalot

hi jj

thought i'd attempt to comment on this

Well, isn't that what we're talking about? That was the basis of Ehrman's book. And isn't that what the bible teaches? an omnipotent and omnipresent spiritual being who has his hands in human destiny (figuratively speaking).

no...this is not what i am talking about

nor do i think this is what the bible is talking about

the "entire chain of being" includes EVERY level of existance into the equation

God is involved (and NOT-involved...as The Witness) in suffering at EVERY level of being...from mineral, to vegetable, to animal, to human animal, to machine ...

an anthropocentric view of God IS a hallmark of the mythic worldview...where we give God human parental features

which should not be too hard to understand, given that the mythic worldview first arises when we move out of selfishness and discover FAMILY for the first time (when we leave early childhood)

cultures experience the same stage of development...when they moved from the self-centered power gods (such as pharoahs)

and gathered as tribes around a greater mythic familial bond

in a mythic worldview...the suffering of our immediate human family is more important to us than any other suffering...our view of suffering (and response to suffering) is limited...partial...not whole

So, in the end you're saying there is no real answer to the question? at least not one we are currently equipped to answer?

no. i am saying what i wrote...

that the answer is, at least, all at once...objective, interobjective, subjective and intersubjective

and "we" can become equipped to answer as "we" open our "eyes" to each of these natural normal native perspectives

of course, not sure what you meant by "we," but i suppose i mean individually or collectively

Edited by sirguessalot