GreaseSpot Cafe

38 years ago

waysider

hi fellas!..wow!...thanks for a very poignant reminder!......i was on campus at queens college when we heard about the guard shooting the 4 at ksu!.......we immediately organized and started a huge rally in the commons designed to " mobilize to off the pigs" who perpetrated this act of government terrorism!.......within 2hours we had 1500 demonstrators goin' until they called in about 500 nyc tpf police........tpf=tactical patrol force.....the same force that busted us a year earlier when we were holding the administration building hostage as the "ad hoc committee to end political suppression at Queens College", where 40 of us were arrested by the tpf and sent to riker's island!!............funny that i was intoduced to twi in the fall of that very same year (1970), thus ending my time in "the revolution"...........i vividly remember the utter contempt i felt for nixon and "the war machine"..........lots of powerful emotional kindling for vic to set ablaze for god, eh?......................PEACE!

Edited by Don'tWorryBeHappy

It still makes my blood boil.

And, the consequences of the whole debacle don't make me feel any better. Basically the whole thing got swept under the rug, with nobody ever really taking any responsiblity for it. AND, the war dragged on for years more...

And now we've got a whole new Viet Nam for our kids to enjoy. Isn't that just special?

I think it is particularly relevant, from a standpoint of context, to bring these events to the awareness of our younger posters.

I would suppose that some of them may find it a bit baffling why we ever got involved in the first place.

This is the world that was influencing us "oldsters" at the time we were exposed to PFAL.

We had grown up in a world that was completely different from this new, changing world that was being thrust upon us.

So, PFAL wasn't just another "fad book" on a daytime talk show. It was something that seemed to have answers to the very real problems that were woven into our lives. It was like light at the other end of a dark tunnel. Maybe that's why it is so hard for some folks to admit to themselves that, to a large degree, we were pawns in a massive hoax.

As usual, that's just my opinion.

And now we've got a whole new Viet Nam for our kids to enjoy. Isn't that just special?

There's one significant difference, George. This time, there's no forced conscription i.e. draft.

How long do you s'pose that's gonna last?

Until that changes, at least the kids can enjoy it from a distance.

I find it rather ironic that Nixon said he would "rather be a one term president, and do that which I know is right, than to serve two terms, and make the U.S. a 2nd rate power by losing the first war in its proud 190 year history".

So he went on to serve two terms, not do that which was right, lose the Vietnam War, and make the U.S. a 2nd rate power in the political sense, ... by being forced to resign in disgrace.

<_< What a turd!

I was in California when the Kent State shootings happened. It broke my heart that something so inconceivable could have happened in my home state, on a campus where I'd spend so much time with friends who went there. I felt so betrayed and so vulnerable. It's painful to remember, but we mustn't forget.

I don't think I can begin to adequately convey to someone who is too young to remember what that event did to the innocent hearts of so many young people. And that was just one assault on our hearts. Back then, the newscasts of the war weren't "sanitized" as they are today. We saw the body bags of hundreds of young kids being loaded onto the planes to send them home. On the nightly newscasts, foortage of young men with half their faces blown off, staring into the camera in pain and shock and fear, made the war in Vietnam starkly real and unspeakably disturbing. And for what? I still don't know, not really.

I'd better stop right here before I cause this thread to get moved to the politics 'n 'tacks forum.