GreaseSpot Cafe

Memorial Day

waysider

Soldier's Letter to his mother:

Thank you for sharing how so many people are praying…. to Him be all glory in this, as I am continually amazed at what He is doing! I tell you what Mom, things are happening over here!!! I have said this over the phone, but I will say it again here: I CANNOT believe the difference between when I first came here in 2005 and this deployment.

Things are far from perfect, and yet there have been such improvements, especially in security and safety, that I sometimes wonder if I am actually in the same country again.

While many things have happened in terms of the efforts of our troops and on the Iraqi side too, I can only attribute these amazing changes to God's work here, and I truly believe He has responded to the prayers of saints all around the globe who are praying for this country.

I think back to last deployment, when you had that month of prayer for Iraq, and how things have changed so dramatically even since then…. all I can say is, Praise the I Am Who I Am, for He truly holds the nations in His hands and the ways of men in His palms!

Please tell all you know, rather, plead with them, to keep praying. Now is the time, I believe, that we need prayer most desperately of all times. While things have improved so much and hope can actually be seen, there is still so many problems and, without His continual grace here, I can easily see all that has been done and all the sacrifices that have been made lost into chaos and complete anarchy. Much more important than the security and stability of Iraq or the safety of the troops over here, though, is what He has been doing in men's hearts!

I am so very excited…here at the base I have been at even just for a month or two, already several men have given there lives to Christ Jesus. There are troops from many different commands, as well as many different nations, here and it has been amazing (and unexpected) to see all the different people who show up at the worship services and Bible studies.

On a personal note, I have been SO blessed to be meeting with our Chaplain and a couple of other dear Christian brothers almost every morning for prayer…. you don't know how much this means, especially after not having much fellowship last deployment, and now being able to share so deeply and honestly and to pray for one another. It is so obvious that it has been His work in bringing us together and it is His grace that is pouring down on our lives now! All praise to the One Who was and is and is to come!

Before I close, here are my promised prayer requests. Please, please, do share them with any and all who will pray. Any you know, ask them to come before the Almighty, for it only He Who can truly change men's hearts…. I have said it before and I am more convinced now than I was then, that the true battle, both here in Iraq and throughout this planet, the REAL fight, is with saints on their knees, humbly asking the Father to do what He, and He alone, is capable of doing. Human means will fail us, the things of this world will pass in time, and yet He is "my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust." (Psalm 91).

Prayer requests for my unit, 2D Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion:

-Diligence and discipline to do our jobs well, even over long months.

-Humility and wisdom both for the leaders in our Battalion, as their decisions affect the lives of many men.

-Healing and comfort for the families of those deployed, as many are hurting and it is often made much worse by the separation and anxiety of deployment.

-Prayers for our enemies… Our Father loves the terrorists and the insurgents just as much as He loves the Marines and I have heard stories, AMAZING stories, of terrorists coming to Christ Jesus… this reminds me of Paul and how God completely and radically changed his life.

-On a personal note, please pray that I might be close knit to the Father, especially that I might have good devotions, short accounts for my sin, and that I might delight in trusting and fearing Him.

Bought at great price,

Capt Rudd Olmstead, USMC

Source: Capt Rudd Olmstead - Baghdad Prayer Patrol

For me, I also consider so many of you who fight the fight of faith as soldiers, warriors in the eternal war against wickedness. You also I honor on this day and always.

WaySider thanks for starting this thread.

I want to honor all my fallen comrades that fought for our country, and died especially the men and women who gave their lives and shed their blood on foreign soil.

I wish to doubly honor those men and women who have honorably and faithfully followed lawful orders to their death, even though those orders were given my unlawful men. Men like Lynden B. Johnson who escalated our involvement in Viet Nam which is now known to be a war over oil, not a war to keep the commies out. Men like George H. W. Bush (whom I served under along with Dick Cheney) who's legacy of oil greed is so transparent it's tragic, and of course George W. Bush who has over seen not only the deaths of 4,082 American troops (some by suicide) but the deaths of over 1,200,000 Iraqi citizens since 3/19/03.

I honor those men and women for doing their duty even when the orders were designed to perpetuate an unlawful military aggression, against enemies fancied or real, for the fiduciary gain of a few, and for the perpetuation of a chain of power being passed to people whose association is not by blood but corporate.

Consider the words of James Madison, the father of our Constitution:

“Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.”
And the words of Dwight D. Eisenhower in his farewell address:

delivered 17 January 1961

A snip:

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense. We have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security alone more than the net income of all United States cooperations -- corporations.

Now this conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet, we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources, and livelihood are all involved. So is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades. In this revolution, research has become central; it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.

Thanks,

Seth

Sadly, Memorial Day is still not celebrated in much of the Old South, though Robert E. Lee's birthday is in some areas a holiday.

We are, and in my opinion were, ALL Americans.

A couple weeks ago, I was walking through the parking lot of my favorite grocery store, and there was an older gentleman sitting outside on a bench, eating ice cream. He was wearing a cap that said "Viet Nam Veteran." I walked over to him and asked, "Sir, you actually served in Viet Nam?" "Yes." He answered, somewhat defensively. I stuck out my hand. "Thank you!" I said. "Thank you very much."

He shook hands with me. "You know," he said," about 5 people have said that to me in the past 30 years."

I've done that before. The look of surprise and gratitude is worth it.

Viet Nam was an unpopular war, as much as Iraq is. But the men and women who serve in our armed forces are under authority and should be honored for their service, IMO, no matter how much we hate the circumstances in which they serve.

WG

we should all have a little something to do to honor our fallen heros and loved ones,even if it's going to your local parade, better yet,participating in it!

the turn out in my small town was not impressive,but,the folks who were there knew what they were there for and showed it.

i did my small part by preparing the food at the vfw for folks who were in the parade

beef stew,chop suey, finger rools,salads etc

not much but they get free drinks too!!!

they are enjoying it as we chat

may god bless all of the good folks gone before us

Coolchef - sounds a lot like what we did here in our little NH town today too. I think there were more people in the parade than were watching it. Each year the convertible carrying the WWII veterans seems a little less crowded than it was the year before; and ditto for the Korean and Vietnam veterans. The marching band plays, the local politicians act like the day is for them, but really, all eyes and all clapping is for our beloved veterans.

God bless you for helping them today and cooking them a dee-lish meal - I'm sure they appreciated your cooking!