GreaseSpot Cafe

In search for a pet dog

SocketCreep

Our daughter has expressed the desire to have a pet dog, and I think we are ready also. She seems to really like the Golden Retriever or a Yellow Lab. We stopped into a pet store at the mall and saw a Chocolate Lab puppy. We all fell in love with it and decided to name it Hershey if we got it.

I started doing some research on the Golden Retriever, and the Labs. I found that either would make an excellant pet, and companion for our daughter. The only serious drawback are the sizes these dogs grow to be. Our first home has a large fenced-in back yard, but the house itself is on the small size. Probably too small for one of these dogs.

I then looked at smaller breeds and found several. The one that I seem to gravitate toward is the Boston Terrier. It is small so it can cuddle in your lap, won't eat as much, has an easy care coat, and most importantly, does great with children. It is not quite as cute as other breeds, but is very dignified and neat looking.

Do any of you dog owners have any advice to give us as we search?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Socket! How exciting! You know there are plenty of online tests you can take so you can choose the right dog that fits you.

Wherever you buy it, is your choice. However I would feel not right if I didn't warn you that it is strongly advised NOT to buy a dog from a pet store. Pet Stores get there dogs from cheap breeders who run puppy mills. I don't care what the pet store tells you where they get the dog from..NO REPUTABLE BREEDER WILL HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH A PET STORE.

I will try to find one of those online tests to take to find out what kind of dog fits your family.

Sorry if I came off as obnoxious about pet stores. I do know people who have gotten wonderful dogs from pet stores. I think the idea is to put those places out of business altogether.

HOW COOL! I have some info to pass along and it may help or not --

Check into Southern Hope Humane Society.

They have lots od displaced "kids".

I would not buy from a pet store as most of the time they get animals from non-reputable breeders but rather from puppy mills.

Puppy mills are a place where they use pets like breeding stock. They jam pipes down the throats of their dogs to debark them, many times breaking their jaws and not fixing them It is an evil system and many groups are rescuing dogs from these places and trying to close them down. (Pull up HUA Hearts Unite for Animals to read about it)

It is best to go to a reputable breeder and you can locate one via the inter net.

Depending on the size of your children I would either suggest or not suggest a small dog. Many little children view small dogs as toys and the fall on them breaking their legs or giving them eye injuries as is the case with many/some peke's that have been rescued.

If you want a low maintanence dog a Boston is good as the hair does not need much grooming.

You can pull the breed up on the inter net and read about its temperment and history of health.

A Bishon, poodle or a Boxer are great if you have allergies. But the Bishon needs to be groomed regularly. A great family dog is an English spaniel. The American Cocker snaps too frequently and can be moody. The English spaniel is medium sized and has a great temperment.

(I have recently jumped industries and have become a dog groomer.)

Please check into the correct food as grocery store food is made from lab animals, road kill, euthanised pets and diseased animals. The grains they use are moldy and is rejected for human consumption. Try Canidae or Wellness. You can look them up on the inter net for a store near you.

God Bless on your decision! You will get loved loved loved with a good family pet!

Dot Matrix

Rottie,

I got most of my research info from www.akc.org and they said the same thing about pet stores. We just went it to see the dogs and play with them a bit.

I look forward to your test. Thanks

BTW, once we decide for sure, I will look into animal shelters for a pet also. I think it would be good for our daughter to see the dog in an adult version too, just to get a different perspective. They don't stay puppies for long!

Dot,

The English Spaniel and Bishon were also my choices. Vey cute

OUr daughter is soon to be 8 years old. Old enough to not rough-house with them. She had an incident several years ago where a playful dog came up to her from behind and jumped on her back, knocking her down. This frightened her quite a bit, but she is almost over that. At the Pet store, she did not want to get down on the floor with it, but enjoyed watching it play with me. I think having a puppy that she can grow accustomed to as it grows will help here to completely overcome that other playful dog.

Dot what great advice!

Socket, if you're already checking out the AKC than your more ahead of the game than I was. I didn't check them out til after I got Nico. Fortuately, my breeder and dog passed all the standards set.

Here is a link for a test.

Dog breed selector

Remember this is more for fun, really not gospel.

You know, when you mentioned bringing your daughter to a shelter, it reminds me of something that happened with the ministers wife of the local offshoot I used to attend.

She has an adorable little golden, that she was going to breed. I asked her why, and she said she wanted her kids to see nature, and birth first hand.

I told her, nicely, that reason was considered the worst reason to breed a dog. I said if she wanted to give her kids a lesson in sex and birth, to go down to the local animal shelter and see all the abandoned dogs that are there because of irresponsible breeding.

Well, she didn't breed her dog, thank God. But I mean it really made me start to wonder about this woman who was considered to be a "top women's leader.

I don't mean to be mean, but her being a leader and all I mean.. geez, whadda ditz.

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

The Bishon thinks it is a family member and will want to go on all your trips with you. The Englsih Spaniel is not a one person dog but a family dog. It has a sweet nature and I would trust it around kids. Also it is not too small but hearty enough to withstand playful children.

The Boston being a terrier may like to dig and get out of a fence. Also alot of terriers are one person dogs. The spaniel should not be a big digger which is a plus.

Rottie, don't ya just love knowing another pet will get a good home with socket?

Dot Matrix

Not being a dog owner, I can't speak with any authority on them, but it has been my experience with cats and other animals that "mutts" are preferable to purebreds except in the case of raising them for show.

My mixed-breed cats have always been healthier, friendlier, and happier(-seeming) than purebreds. A little genetic diversity goes a long way. Check the local classifieds for lab puppies, or the local animal shelter if you want one. Wouldn't you feel better about rescuing an unwanted animal than buying one?

Your mileage may vary.

Yeah mutts are cool. Some of the best dogs are others throw-aways. Although I wouldn't trust classifieds either, if you are looking for a reputable breeder. It's usually BYB's (backyard breeders) that advertise in the classifieds.

I think Dot was correct about doing an internet search for a decent breeder, and checking them out that way.

Now is a great time to check the rescues. People get dogs/cats for Christmas and then they do not want the work. So sad. So many are dumped.

Where I work I groom a dog that was left at 9 months old in a box in the middle of a parking lot. A wonderful dog that someone left in the back yard then moved. Another dog that was rescued as kids tied it to a trash bin and were beating it and throwing rocks at it....

On it goes.....

Just check with the rescue group on the temperment, some abused dogs do not recover from the fear and do snap. They are better in an all adult home.

I do not know where you are but a friend of mine in Jersey is looking for a home for a black lab that is two years old. It did have a health problem that a holistic vet might be able to clear up.

Her e-mail is toto@beachin.net

She has people set in place to drive the dog out.

You can do a search for "holistic vets" and find one in your area. That is how I found out about the food problems.

Dot Matrix

SocketCreep,

I am so excited for you. Here are two great websites for you:

www.petfinder.com & www.petfinder.org.

Both sites will let you plug in your state/region and define the type of pet you are searching for, most have links with shelters and rescue organizations and even have pictures of most of the animals available for adoption. There are links to breeders and official breed sites.

My beloved little dog died in early December and I adopted a "rescue" on December 21....he has really, really blessed my life.

Happy hunting for you and your family!

firebee you should take that dog selector test thingie. Maybe a kittie would be a good pet for you too!

BTW Socket, you should memorize this list. Very important, and true!

Dog Property Laws

If I like it, it's mine.

If it's in my mouth, it's mine.

If I can take it from you, it's mine.

If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.

If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.

If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.

If it just looks like mine, it's mine.

If I saw it first, it's mine.

If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.

If it's broken, it's yours.

You would like a dog that is lazy. One that does not need to be walked or alot exercise.

You may like a low maintenance dog that does not have big poops as it will be going on the papers while you have a 12 hour day. Most dogs need more attention than that so you may consider a cat. OR a french bull dog does not need much exercise. Their short hair will not need a groomer to cut the hair--. But see if you can get two pets. They will keep each other company. A great small dog is a yorkie but they need lots of attention and a man working 12 hours a day would be cruel for them.

A Basset Hound does not need much exercise, a chow mix is nice as they are loyal and they usually are happy to lay around. I say a mix so you can look for a small version of a chow.

Also check into the habits -- if it is a chewer-- being alone for 12 hours will not be a good thing. I have peke's they are lazy but they like attention. (They never chewed anything they should not have. I also have two chow mixes -- very loyal and lazy as well.) So, you can get two peke's.

Dot Matrix

Or hey Dot, how bout a bloodhound? ha ha j/k. I read that bloodhounds are considered the absolute WORST watchdogs, and that when they hunt down people who have escaped from the Big House, they usually reward thier prey with some big sloppy kisses.

I'm sure the convicts love that. They sure are cute as hell though. I hear they like to watch prison movies too.

They are neat dogs. But the bark may have him thrown out of his apartment and you have to keep their "folds" clean as they can smell -- same with a Shar-Pei and a Basset Hound although the Basset has less folds.

But yes, he could get a job hunting down criminals with his blood hound!

Another neat dog is the Japanese Chin and the Tibetian Spaniel. The Tibbie has energy but has great health. The Japenses Chin is a great apartment dog. But again to leave her alone for long periods might bum her out.

Firebee -- can you get two animals?

Socket you may want to look at a Japanese chin they are hearty little dogs as is the Tibbie. But you will need to comb them. The Tibbie does not have fur it has hair. Silky soft hair but it does tangle.

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on January 13, 2003 at 10:44.]

I had a cat a few years ago. It was my besttest friend..........luved it when she would curl up at my neck and purr

I did the dog selector thingie.........that was a hoot......poodles came up as my answer, but I reaaly don't like poodles and I don't know enough about breeds to make a good selection

BTW........the property laws sound like they could apply to a child or spouse as well.......lmao

I did not like poodles until I began to groom. They are very smart! Low allergies, they do not shed and they are easy to train.

They do need to be groomed and combed at home. You could get a clipper and keep a 5 blade and do it yourself.

I have changed my mind about the poodle. They are neat little dogs. But you will need to do alot of combing or they will matt.

Dot Matrix

Oh I absolutely adore poodles. I don't care for the foo foo cuts though. I like them as just trimmed naturally. I wouldn't get one cause they are high maintenance dogs (and I don't trust my own grooming skills,ahem) and you have to brush those dogs all the time so they don't matt.

The standard poodles at the dog park can rough and tumble with my rottweiler though. Truly sturdy dogs.

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

ha ha I think GS is full of fur kid lovers.

Tell me if you don't think some of this doesn't sound familiar (found this off the akc site)

The dog is not allowed in the house.

Okay, the dog is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.

The dog is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.

The dog can get on the old furniture only.

Fine, the dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.

Okay, the dog is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.

The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.

The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation only.

The dog can sleep under the covers every night.

Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the dog.