GreaseSpot Cafe

In search for a pet dog

SocketCreep

I've started looking for a dog as well. It seems to be almost impossible to get a dog in Oklahoma.

For starters, Petsmart has a pretty crappy selection. No offense to the dogs, but the one near me ONLY does dalmations. I don't hate them, but they're not a very good breed of dogs, especially for apartment living.

The adoption places are only open from 9 to 5 on weekdays. I can't take time off of work to go get a dog, if they want me to adopt one they need to get off their lazy butts and be open during hours that real people can go there. I work from 8am to 6pm normally, so I'd think if they want to place dogs into good homes they need to accomodate their hours for those who are not unemployed.

Puppy farms may be cruel sometimes, but at least those people wanted to make an effort to help you get a dog. The shelters and such don't seem to put forth much effort at all. They do a good job of caring for dogs, but a horrible job of helping you get one.

Of course, this is probably just how things are here. When I lived elsewhere, the people running the shelters cared about the dogs AND about helping people find pets that are right for them. The two don't need to be mutually exclusive, but I guess that's the way things work here. After all, you can't expect much from a state that produced LCM.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posh! Wow Petsmart sells dogs in your state? Here Petco and Petsmart only has rescues come in every Saturday and Sunday and set up adoptions.

You can check with some rescues like the Peke rescue will fly one to you at your cost. They have people who are flying and will take one with them it is around $50.00. Now, they have a transport of volunteers to drive them. The dachshonds also have a network where one will drive it so many miles and the next so many miles to get it to you.

This site will also work with you.

http://www.hua.org/index.html

http://www.furr-angels.com/sp_kisha.htm

http://www.japanesechinrescue.org/

http://www.bichonrescue.org/

http://www.lrr.org/

http://www.gsd-rescue.com/

http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/index.htm

http://www.groupsynergy.com/pekerescue

http://members.aol.com/PekeRescue/page2.html

Hope this helps. Posh, you probably mean Pet stores will help you, Puppy mills are back yard barns with dirty cages filled with sick and mistreated animals used for breeding. Then, the puppies are taken to the pet store to sell them.

Firebee a cat would be better for you unless you can get two small dogs that can keep each other company, but still 12 hours is too long.

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on January 13, 2003 at 14:03.]

Dot... fyi, a Boston Terrier is not a terrier at all so digging is not an issue. And they are pretty calm for a little dog as well. They don't shed and are great family dogs. (can you tell I am a big fan of the breed?)

I agree with Steve! on the time thing... it's the main reason I don't have a dog these days... I'm gone too often for it to be kind to the critter. But my whiskered purring furrballs don't seem to mind a bit... they like to break all the rules when mom is gone!

Steve! you knew I'd catch you on the name thingie icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Yea, I want a puppy

A good friend of mine just got a young pit bull and when I was over there visiting, this little pup chewed on me, gnawed at my sneakers and then slept on my lap. Even when I moved, she just curled up tighter when I sat back down.

I fell in love, pure and simple

Dot: PetSmart doesn't sell dogs, they have adoption days like the stores you mentioned. Mr. P probably meant that. At least, I hope that's what he meant. The one near me has a huge sign "WE WILL NOT SELL DOGS" They do that at my local PetSmart as well.

Mr. P LOL! You're funny. I do have to add that some of those rescues are awfully hard to get dogs through. Some of them are as hard to adopt from as getting a kid adopted!

And Mr. P of course the pet stores will help you, they get commission. But they do get there dogs from unreputable sources.

firebee! A pitbull aye? I have to admit even I'm not entirely comfortable around those dogs yet. Which makes me a complete hypcrite I suppose!

OH duh, I just noticed Dot you did mention PetSmart as being one of the stores. Sorry. Yeah I would think they are all like that. I know they sell hamsters and rabbits but I don't think dogs.

[This message was edited by RottieGrrrl on January 13, 2003 at 14:07.]

HWY Did not know that about the Boston, so then if digging is not an issue I bet it would be a great little family member. Thanks for the info!

Rottie, I was startled to think they sold them. I misunderstood.

I just checked the PEKE rescue and they have some cuties! A little blk and white girl who is cute as a button.

Please click on

http://www.hua.org/Looking.html

Read Hope's story about the puppy mills. So sad!

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on January 13, 2003 at 14:43.]

If I have to modify my life, I can do that

Change is not that big a deal

She made me feel warm and loved, and even when I moved, that little pit bull looked up into my eyes as if to say "you are comfortable, please stay". That was awesome, and even inspired my thread on "you are awesome"

[This message was edited by firebee on January 13, 2003 at 14:20.]

Steve!,

Actually, cats can and DO get depressed and destructive when they are alone for long periods of time.

Their eat, sleep, work and play cycles are about 4 times as fast as ours.

If you must leave them alone, they do better if their are other animals to interact with.

Also, if they are outdoor cats, the loneliness is not an issue at all, but then many other things will be.

Todd

Rottie I love that thing about the dog will be outside, okay inside but not on the furniture...

My husband and I rocked out on it. We sleep in a king sized bed with all 5 dogs!!!!!

Ahhh, pets are great -- must be why butt face Craig made it an edict that we could not have them. He had a way of making our lives -- worse.

Dot Matrix

quote:
Originally posted by Dot Matrix:

PMosh! Wow Petsmart sells dogs in your state? Here Petco and Petsmart only has rescues come in every Saturday and Sunday and set up adoptions.

Actually it was just the adoptions. However, the Petsmart near me only has some company that only does dalmation adoptions. I'm going to check out a few more, but that's pretty lame in my opinion.

My son's favorite pet wasn't of the canine-American persuasion, but they sure loved each other.

andpete2.jpg

These really aren't suitable for apartments, however, unless you have a large fenced yard with it.

I've never seen one at a pet store either, but we "rescued" this one from an older lady who could no longer take care of him properly.

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." --Thomas Jefferson

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

Ron - you are so funny! Your son is adorable and your right that "great Dane" will not work in an apt.

P-Mosh if you like check out those sites I listed they can help you. Are you seeking a small dog? Peke rescue has some CUTE ones!!!

And HUA is closer to you -- I think-- I bet you can get one of them. Golly, I am glad I am not a groomer there I would have no business!!!

Dalmations do not need much.

Sorry, I thought you meant they sold them -- it was just so different here. Glad we cleared that one up!

PMosh -- What kind of doggie you looking for? I always have a weakness for a shaggy dog.

My latest dog was a little French bulldog/chow mix he was playing in a 4 lane hwy with an 18 wheeler bearing down the road. I pulled over and got him! He had No tags, nothing ever was placed in the paper or at the shelters. I knocked on the houses all around the area to no avail. So, I kept him. Named him Ozzy.

Rusty was a rescue someone dumped by a grocery store. He was shaggy and dirty. He was also hit in the head and had a lump etc. Poor thing. He taught himself how to open the grocery store door by stepping on the black automatic mat. Then, he walked up to folks and tried to be cute! He rolled around and flirted with people begging for a home. Nobody was impressed so they called Animal control on him. I grabbed him and took him home -- 9 years ago.

The 2 peke's are from peke rescue, named one Murphy and the blk one Cinders. The 5th is a peke/Tibbie who is so precious - her name is Tipper.

Our first dog "Baby" - also a peke just died in October. I'll tell you what, it near killed me-- that dog meant the world to me.... Very sad.

But I just love pets and I am so glad to see all of you loving them as well!

Here is the Boston Terrier rescue

http://www.bostonrescue.net/

For you Hwy and for Socket

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on January 13, 2003 at 15:37.]

Ron: LOL!

Dot: If I ever found a man like your husband who would was like that I would marry him in a second.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the smoke shop and the manager there said that the guy who ran the restaurant next door told him he wanted to ask me out, but I always have my Rott with me and he can't come near me.

Ha! I KNEW she was worth the price when I bought her! ha ha ha! (he's a little twerp, just the kind I attract icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> )

You are so lucky you have a husband who loves dogs like that! You should see me and Nico. I have a single bed and we share. Me and my 100 lbs rottweiler. And she snores and farts. Who needs a husband? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

quote:

P-Mosh if you like check out those sites I listed they can help you. Are you seeking a small dog? Peke rescue has some CUTE ones!!!

Thanks, I will check them out later tonight with my wife, who is the one that wants a dog to begin with. She is looking for a small dog, because once we decide to settle somewhere and get a house, I'll be getting another wolf (or more, if I can have enough land for them to be comfortable.)

quote:

Sorry, I thought you meant they sold them -- it was just so different here. Glad we cleared that one up!

No problem, sometimes I'm not always clear. The only state I've seen dogs sold in pet stores is Arizona, but there may be others that do it too.

quote:

PMosh -- What kind of doggie you looking for? I always have a weakness for a shaggy dog.

My requirements for a dog is that it is small, can be housebroken, doesn't make too much noise, doesn't shed too much, and is fairly calm. To me, cuteness is secondary but to her it's first priority.

Anyway, thanks again for the info Dot. If and when we get a puppy, I'll post about it here.

PMosh- some considerations:

From the site "Tibetan Spaniels are the perfect small dog - gay, active, not nervous, very companionable, a good watch dog, healthy, and extremely intelligent - what more could you wish?"

http://www.tibbies.net/history.html

The Japanese Chin:

http://www.japanesechinrescue.org/jccare.html

Temperament

A sensitive and intelligent small dog whose only purpose is to serve man as a companion. Responsive and affectionate with those it knows and loves but reserved with strangers or in new situations.

peke

http://members.aol.com/PekeRescue/page6.html

Can not wait to hear what comes your way in the form of a fur baby!

Dot Matrix

You know, I was so worried when I got Nico as a pup, cause I had never had to housebreak a dog before.

That crate training they recommended was too complicated for me.

I thought it would be so hard, but all I did was take her out every couple of hours. I slept on the couch in my sweats, ( I got her in the dead of winter) set the alarm, and plopped her outside.

She had her little accidents, but it wasn't bad at all.

Oh yeah she hated her cage, so I set up a little barricade by the couch with her cage, the box and some pillows, and she was fine.

Rottie:

My dogs have accidents. I mean, they are out in our fenced yard 4 times a day for about 30 minutes a time and one will come in (not always the same one either) and pee on the rug.

What do you suggest?

Yes, I am glad my hubby is into pets. It was very important to me. I wanted a non-smoker, pet lover who believed in God and had similar political views... Loving pets was VERY BIG!

Perhaps you should date a vet. Now how to go about meeting a single one? Mmmmmm how would one do that?

By the Way, why don't you get a larger bed? At least a Queen?

Dot Matrix

Similar political views(middle of the road) and believing in God (but not a religious flake, or a stuffed shirt) would be important to me too. Well, I smoke, so I would want a guy who wouldn't maybe smoke as much, but maybe have them on him so I could bum em if I'm out. icon_wink.gif;)--> Until I quit. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Gee about your dogs, YOU probably know more than I do. But I guess if Nico did that..peed when she came in, I would go by the ole training basics (we went to puppy class at PetSmart) and either yell NO! right when she was doing it, or take a taped pop can full of pennies and shake it at her, then throw her outside to finish peeing. And praise her while she was peeing outside.

And you know (i'm sure) they say to make sure and clean the odor out of the rug so the scent isn't "marked."

But honestly, with her I haven't had that problem. I'M the one at fault when she tells me she wants to go out and I ignore her. That's when she has to puke or something and it's MY fault for not listening to her.

So maybe someone else could help you better on that! Where's Jesse?

PS. I've been thinking of a larger bed, but we usually can snuggle together pretty comfey, specially in winter. Plus if I got a larger bed my room would shrink!

A lot of activity on this topic! Glad to see it sparked some good natured idea exchanges. Thanks to all. I will check out the links maybe tomorrow. It is busier than normal at work tonight, and I have my priorities...

Just another quick question, What kind of costs are involved with adopting a pet from a rescue or shelter?

As far as purebreds go, I believe they have a higher consistency for temperment. Mutts could have a lot of unknown attitude input. I know that training can overcome a lot, but I believe their natural instinct can override training at times. Is this correct?

I was just trying to pull up that akc.org site to see for sure, but I thought the Boston Terrier is in the terrier family, but it seems to be down at the moment. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the responses. It is nice to have a fun topic.