GreaseSpot Cafe

In search for a pet dog

SocketCreep

The peke rescue was $150.00 for the dog.

SHHS was around the same. They will be spayed and up on all their shots. (Spaying costs about $90.00 and shots about $30.00 so the $150.00 is not making them any money.)

BUT some rescues charge $250.00 for young dogs like a yorkie. If the dog is older they charge less.

My pet mixes (mutts) are more intelligent -I believe - then my pure breeds. Breeders have over-bred many breeds to the end they have messed them up. The Irish Setter was over-bred to the point it has lost its intelligence. The breeders were trying to get a thin sleek face. The English bulldog was over-bred to the point they can not mate on their own anymore. They have to be inseminated. Isn't it sad?

But the English Spaniel has not been over-bred and it really a great dog from all I have heard.

So some mutts can be the best. The thing is when you get a dog from a reputable breeder you have a better shot at a healthy mellow dog. Good breeders are to stop breeding dogs with health problems or bad temperments. Yes, with a mutt or puppy mill dogs you do not know. I was fortunate to get GREAT rescues!

If you call a rescue group they can tell you about the animal. They tey to see how the dog is with other animals, children, left alone etc.

So, a rescue is a good way to go -- or the reputable breeder, IMO.

God bless!

God Bless! I hope you find your new best friend soon!

PS it has become all about money. I was at a dog show and was watching and chatting with the groomer for a peke. The peke had a small white mark on her face -- the groomer pulled out a SHARPIE magic marker and colored in the spot!

I said "that can not be good for the dog..." She ignored me. The white spot could have cost them the prize money.....

So, you can see how the breeders tried to breed in a wider chest on the bulldogs and sleeker faces on the setters to win the cash. Because that is what the judges like to see. Unreal, huh?

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on January 13, 2003 at 18:12.]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone helped me pick out a puppy icon_smile.gif:)-->

The breed fits my lifestyle and that is awesomely cool.

I will tell you what puppy I pick up only after I clear it with my source. Not trying to be sneaky about it, just protecting a friend,

Thanks for all the great advice. I am giddy and excited, not bad for a hair-club candidate who ISN'T the president icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

firebee! I can't wait to hear about your puppy! How cool, oh I miss those first days with mine! Everything new to her. Sigh.

Dot: I heard about people doing that stuff before. (coloring in marks) I've heard people say it's not about the dogs as much as it is who you know. That dog show ring sounds WAY too political and cliquesh for me to want to get involved in.

Yikes - so many replies - I just noticed this thread!!!

I adopted a rescued dog in October. She's a Powder-puff Chinese Crested (huh?). They look like this! I found her through the links that Radar posted - Petfinder - a great site.

My neighbor has them so I knew about the breed, otherwise I would have never heard of them. Great dogs, no shedding, small but not teenie, smart, easy to train.

I would caution you if you choose to adopt a rescue. Chloe is wonderful and we love each other. But... she doesn't love everyone in my family, mainly my 12 year old. We think (and it's a good guess) that she was probably abused by children sometime in the years before she came to us (she's between 4 & 5 years old). I will not give up on her because I feel very responsible since I was the one who decided to take her from the rescue organization. She didn't show any hostility to my daughter until I'd signed the papers and the lady from the rescue shelter left my house. I figured I'd just give it a week or so... it's been 2 1/2 months - and she still doesn't like my kid - she's terrified of her.

We know she was in a puppy mill because she has a huge tattoo underneath her left rear thigh - it's awful. They also "de-barked" her - which is so cruel I can't even begin to tell you how angry I get when I think about it.

Anyway - I think getting a rescue is a wonderful thing. It's easier than getting a puppy if you're not home all day. Chloe came house trained, crate trained and leash trained!

But - rescues are often dogs that have been abused, neglected or ones with health problems.

So if you decide to get a rescued dog - ask for a trial run. Spend the money to take it to the vet, even if your rescue organization gives you a clean bill of health. And make sure you can get your "donation" back if it doesn't work out.

I love my dog. I never thought I'd get so attached to this little creature as much as I have in such a short time.

Hope R. color>size>face>

P.S. Our adoption fee was $200.

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

IMO, any dog can be sweet or nasty, depending on breeding and how it is raised. We have an 11-year-old American Cocker Spaniel who is the sweetest little guy on earth. His name is Maxx. About a block away, there's another dog, same breed, who is a holy terror. HIS name is Woody Hayes - wonder if that has anything to do with his lousy disposition? (Maybe he's sweetened up the past couple weeks icon_biggrin.gif:D-->)

I tend to go for the labrador retrievers, also. It's hard to find a nasty Lab. Would you consider an adult dog? We got our other dog, Sophie, as a 6-year-old from some fools who were moving and didn't want her any more. She's quiet and peaceful and very bright, protective, but never vicious.

One thing to watch for in bigger breeds, as I'm sure your research has told you, is arthritis and hip dysplasia. And labs do tend to get, shall we say, (I'm trying to be delicate here) -oh, well, they eat to darn much and get fat!

Please, please, don't go to a pet store! Check with breed rescue groups in your area, and humane society and shelters. There's a pure bred 1 year old black lab in a shelter a few miles from here (Buckeye Nation) and a shelter in your area might also be able to help you find the perfect dog for your family!

WG

Socketcreep, these are great posts, but, I don't know, if you and your family fell in love with the Chocolate Lab, get it. Maybe its the pet God means you to have. So the house isn't huge, that's o.k., they're friendly and mellow in the house, but you do have a large fenced in backyard - that sounds great.

Even dogs from pet stores need love too. Just because its from a pet store doesn't mean it is flawed.

Go with the one you fell in love with.

FireBee, That is great news about your prospective pet. I hope this topic to some degree helped in that goal.

Watered Garden, We are considering adult dogs, which is generally what you would find at a shelter. The only thing is, there is no way of knowing with a 100% surety, what to expect of the animal. There may have been some trauma in its past that will surface unexpectedly. With a puppy at least we would be in control of its experience.

I did not know about the ailments of the larger breeds, and that is good to know. The other thing is the cost of feeding. Larger breeds will eat more, and we don't want to bite off more than we can chew. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

That chocolate was sure a cutie.

Hope, your dog is a cutie also. I looked at that breed on the akc site and saw there are two type, with and without hair. How weird.

I have noticed that on the akc site, there is a lot of political correctness in discriptions of the dogs. I think I am starting to understand what each is saying. for example:

1) Thinks for itself---Is hard to train

2) very curious---gets into everything

3) high enery---very active

4) wary of strangers---will bark alot

5) very protective---might be a danger to other children/adults in play situations

Am I right on these?

Now I am off to check out those links posted earlier.

The funny thing 'bout pet dogs, is this - they can be as demanding as a child, but the return for lots of care and love, is priceless!

I adopted a cocker spaniel from the local shelter. She was about a year old then, and had big behavioral problems (yes, she snapped when she felt threatened). But with lots of love, tolerance, and patience, she is now, the sweetest, most beautiful dog you can imagine.

For 3 years, I kept her groomed with the standard Cocker cut. Waayyyy too much trouble to keep nice! And because I didn't brush her regularly (she fought it, hated brushing) she developed skin allergy problems. So the answer for us, was to clip her hair fairly short.....just a little longer on the legs and 'skirt' (below the front and hind shoulders ). She needs good food, and is a picky eater.

She's small (under 30 lbs) but has a ferocious bark, when she thinks her home needs defense. She would be happier if she got more exercise, she loves to sniff new odors. This dog just loves to please. She loves people, is gentle (instinctively) with babies and stangers. She draws compliments from everyone....strangers stop and remark at how beautiful she is - she just inspires joy! She plays well with a cat who also shares our appartment. She no longer 'snaps' at anyone, under any circumstance.

There are lots of really great dogs who need loving homes at the animal shelters. Plan to spend money at the vetinarian to get the animal healthy, then learn how to keep her healthy; you'll have a loyal, loving companion.

My Costs:

As for messes - I recommend that everyone with a pet, get a Bissell Little Green Machine($69 at K-mart). Accidents happen living in an apartment (no fenced yard). But the little carpet cleaner removes a lot of the anxiety for me.

Costs can vary from city to city. Luckily, on the 'poor' side of town, I found an animal hospital that offers very cheap services (spay or neuter your pet!) and loving, competent care. That's around $100 - $150. In some areas, pet-advocacy groups offer coupons or discounts on the surgery.

Vaccinations & boosters are a yearly event: $10-rabies, $30-cocktail of assorted vaccines. Flea protection (I stand by Advantage for dogs, the cost is guaged by weight of the dog) is around $35 for 3 month supply. Then add $25/6 mos for heartworm pills. I can't remember the original fee the shelter charged - it might have been $25 for application processing.

If you need to be away from home for 24 hours or more, boarding costs start at $10 a day (not including the guilt you'll feel, of leaving her and missing her presence). Mixed breeds are, from what I've read and heard, generally better at resistance to disease, and are 'smarter' and have less problems than purebreds.

I'm single and was able to spend the time with my dog that she needed, so the 'typical' problems of her breed are not evident. Your dog will grow up to mirror the love you've given her.

You might also check with your vet. Sometimes a vet will have a stray or an abandoned animal living in the office.

We got our two oldest cats, Sunny and Buster, from a vet when we had to have a kitten put to sleep. (Feline Infectious Peritonitis--deadly.) Sunny was a stray and Buster had been abandoned--which was odd, since he's the most easy-to-get-along-with cat I've ever had. My wife only wanted Sunny at first, but I guilted her into getting Buster as well, since they were now playmates. She didn't think she could handle two cats in the house.

We now have FIVE... icon_smile.gif:)-->

The vet gave them all their shots and neutered them for free because we gave them a good home. They're now happy and healthy.

Great advise and stories on this thread!

Although I agree with Sunesis that pet shop pups need love too, I have to add that buying from a pet shop is what encourages the puppy mill industry. I work in a shelter and puppy mills and backyard breeders have done more to damage the canine population, physically and temperamentally, then all the contagious diseases, abuse and cruelty combined. At least that is my opinion.

There are no guarantees the any dog will live up to the standard of the breed. Some of the labs that come in will rip your throat out. A lot of it is environmental, but in some cases it is just bad breeding practices.

Having said that, I really believe your best bet would be a reputable breeder, as others have suggested. If at all possible, view the parents of the puppies. If they are shy and anxious, chances are the puppies will have that temperament. If the parents are extremely active and bark a lot, the puppies will be pre-disposed to those qualities. Same thing with protectiveness, hunting skills and allergies.

Rescue is good as well. I checked out the link LooKout posted. They have a great Q&A section called Why Buy A Pet When You Can Adopt ?

Before I got Jesse, I bought a Neapolitan Mastiff from a breeder in Mississippi. I had Tori put to sleep when she was 11 months old because at five months I learned she had elbow dysplasia in both legs and her back right hip had severe dysplasia. I wish that had been the only problems. She had always been a little on the aggressive side and when I had to stop her daily training sections because of the pain it caused her, her aggression got out of hand. She would have never hurt me, but she was destined to a life of isolation and pain. It felt like I had my heart ripped out. Later I learned through the NEO Club that this lady was in-breeding her dogs and breed for aggression. Thank you Backyard Breeder! I say backyard because she had no standard or knowledge for breeding, sad for me.

Congratulations on your new addition to the family decision. No matter where you get your puppy, it is gonna be awesome!

(Gosh, I wish I could do short posts!)

Jesse

SC - yes! There are powder-puff and hairless Chinese Cresteds. The hairless type comes with all sorts of skin problems and frankly, are really strange looking creatures.

And you're right - you don't know what you're going to get from an animal shelter or rescue organization. Most of the rescue orgs try to get as much information as they can about where the dog has been, but the shelters usually know very little. But remember Benji? He was found at a shelter - and so were many other "Hollywood" dogs!

I agree with the pet store comments, both Sunesis' and WateredGarden's. It breaks my heart when I go into a pet store and see those cuties behind a glass wall in their cages. I want to hold each one of them.

I bet they don't even take them outside because there is always poop and pee underneath the cages. That also makes it very hard to crate train a dog. Normally, a dog won't "go" where it sleeps - but in the cases of pet stores, that behavior has been altered just by the mere fact that they aren't taken outside to do their business. They'll go whenever the urge hits them.

Plus, almost all dogs at pet shops come from puppy mills. And JJ is right, buying from those pet stores helps support the puppy mill industry, an industry that should be better regulated or shut down...

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

JJ-

I looked at the site you posted. That little sadie AKA Hilti is so cute! She has been at the shelter for over a year and apparently is well behaved. Stuff like that breaks my heart.

Zix- Our vet had many cats roaming around that lived in his office. HE was such a great guy who just retired. Congrats on the 5 cats! We have 5 dogs.

Re: American Cockers. There are some nice ones for sure --to those of you that have a good one. I have a white one that comes into the shop that is a dream dog. But out of all the dogs I groom I have been bitten by Cockers more than any other breed. On Groomers.com there was a past discussion on Chows and several people said the were frequently bitten by the Cockers and were more worried about them then Chows. IMO and from what I have read it is due to bad and over breeding. Shame, cause they are beautiful!

But yes, ya never know.

I had a Golden Retriever that was so amorous I am sure we were married in 12 states. But when I touched his rear he knocked me down and stood on my throat. Later, I found he had been shot by a BB gun by some stupid kid and the dog was very protective about his butt.

There is alot to be said for a pup, but the first two years expect alot of work with them!

I got dogs that were over 2 yrs and under 2 yrs. And the over 2 yrs ones were easier for me to adjust to them! Calmer....

Pray you get the right dog and you will

Congrats FB on the pup.

Hope: your dog is so sweet looking!

Anyone know an older person willing to take an older dog?

http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/id212.htm

She is cute!

Here is another sad story about puppy mills. Look how cute this rescue is! She was 1.4 pounds when rescued!

http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/id127.htm

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on January 14, 2003 at 16:32.]

SocketCreep...

I PREFER pure bred herding dogs... and ifn ya gonna have a dog make it a pure bred family oriented dog... a companion through obedience training especially a for one that is not a santa clauss present ... other wise get a geribal or hampster or maybe even a ferret...

Dogs are for keeps for many a year...

select well...

[This message was edited by TheSongRemainsTheSame on January 14, 2003 at 19:51.]

[This message was edited by TheSongRemainsTheSame on January 14, 2003 at 19:59.]

This was a great thread to read! I'm still looking, too. We still haven't really decided whether or not to get a puppy or an adult rescue. An adult that has been trained, is most likely over the chewing stage, probably calmed down a bit. That is really appealing! But the possibility of it having been abused and then turning on one of my boys-- YIKES!

A puppy would be so fun, so cute, and my more timid son would get a chance to grow used to it before it grew to full grown size would be good. But-- higher cost, with all the shots, spay/neuter, etc, and of course all the training mishaps, etc! I have to sign off now, it's getting late, but I am going to check out these sites you all left for Socket Creep to check out!!

BTW-(Sorry SC for going off-topic a bit here)

RottieGrrrl those Corgi Pups were long gone-- that was an old ad at the grocery store. The people sounded nice and didn't say they had others on the way or anything, so i guess it wasn't a back-yard breeder! But the Corgi sure is a cute dog!

Socket Creep, that Boston Terrier sounds like a nice breed, also-- we have to stick with a small breed, too--although for cost purposes, I think we are gonna get a mixed breed, anyway. I AM alergic to my cats, and it may be a good idea to look into dogs that are less allergy-irritants! LOL! (which brings me back to a POODLE!!! AKKKKKK! Two of my sisters have toy poodles-- and while they are cute and very intelligent, BOY! they are yappy little critters!! (An' my cats might EAT em!!! LOL!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> )

Psalm: Thanks for the update on the corgi's. I was wondering what the update on them was!

What a bunch of interesting posts on this thread!

BTW, I was joking on another thread about wishing they made mini rottweilers and look what I found on a page about rare dog breeds

carlinpinscher.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

They're called Carlin Pinschers. They are about 12" tall and btwn 10 and 20 lbs. A mix between a mini pinscher and a pug. They have nothing to do with the rott family but people call them mini rotts anway.

Arn't they cute? They are still a developing breed and won't be available to the public for a few years, at least. Theyre being super careful about not overbreeding this dog.

[This message was edited by RottieGrrrl on January 15, 2003 at 5:25.]

Frank:

my parents have a 10 pound yorkie/pom or a dangzu/pom(unsure) it is the cutest smartest little thing!!! Everywhere they go people ask them what kind of dog is that? We want one....

Some of those mixes are just adorable! And sweet as can be!

Rottie:

What a cute little dog! Looks like a rot!

My French bulldog/chow looks like a little redfox or small chow. If I could figure out this new picture thing I would show you.

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on January 15, 2003 at 8:00.]

I was talking to one of the third-shift people that was relieving us about good dogs for children. He said he actually has a few pure bred Beagles for sale. About 1 year old. I understand they are great with kids, but tend to be outdoor dogs and these are not house broken yet. I think it is too cold here in upstate NY to have a dog outside, so I wonder if a dog that is 1 year old is too old to house train, and if they can adapt to the indoors.

I just got back from the Saratoga County Animal Shelter and looked at what they have to offer. They were all fired up when I went in to look at them. They must have been feeding off each other's energy. I would hope they would be calmer in individual settings. I think my daughter would be overwhelmed by all the excitement and barking. Here is the link to their site. They had a cute Beagle there, but the caretaker said it snaps a bit.

Saratoga Count Animal Shelter

Their fees for adoptions were VERY nice. About

$15-20. There is a $35 spay/nueter fee that is reimbursed upon proof that you had it done.

They had a lot of Pitbulls and Pitbull mixes. There has been a lot of press up here lately about Pitbulls attacking people and children. I don't even consider one of them an option.

They had some really cute cats there also.