GreaseSpot Cafe

What are you doing to save money?

Belle

I'm unplugging just about every electronic device I don't use on a regular basis - including the microwave and coffee pot.

I'm using the ceiling fans and increasing the temp on the a/c unit.

I'm using the microwave and toaster oven more than the stove.

I've even considered how long it will take me to bike rather than drive in the Baja to get to work. Not much feasible given the FL thunderstorms we have this time of year though.

What are you doing, if anything?

Is it worth it???

I've taken quite a few steps to curb the household budget lately.

I only use Winfred's services 6 days a week now, and have allowed Millicent 3 days a week for her leisure.

The back lawn and the Children's garden only receive attention bi-weekly, while the Bentley is seldom used at all currently, save for First Night and such like.

Polo activities have been drastically curtailed, and I fear I may have to trim a few ponies from the stable entirely.

I take most of my meals at The Town residence, and have actually begun to budget my visits to "The Club".

Oh, and I only allow Reginald to polish the Aston-Martin on a monthly basis.

No sympathy please!, we all must make sacrifices...

I'm unplugging just about every electronic device I don't use on a regular basis - including the microwave and coffee pot.

I'm using the ceiling fans and increasing the temp on the a/c unit.

I'm using the microwave and toaster oven more than the stove.

I've even considered how long it will take me to bike rather than drive in the Baja to get to work. Not much feasible given the FL thunderstorms we have this time of year though.

What are you doing, if anything?

Is it worth it???

did the ceiling fan/thermostat adjustment for the a/c three years ago. Also, three years ago (when I moved to where I now live) I planted trees/bushes that are now providing dramatically increased shade. I use my gas grill as an oven (outdoors) instead of heating my house (to cook many things, including pizza... during the hot months anyway.

dramatically reduced my driving so that I only buy one tank of gas/mo (still costs $50). Taking the bus and riding bicycle much more.

Is it worth it? Hell yes. I couldn't meet my monthly expenses otherwise.

I'm seriously considering purchase of a motorscooter. I'm considering both electric and gas powered options.

Oh, and because it's hot here (REALLY hot), I turn my hot water heater heat off in the summer... still have water plenty warm for showers.

I could probably do that too. My house was re-plumbed a few years before I bought it and all the plumbing is in the attic so during the summer I have instant hot water and have to let the cold water run for a while before it's actually cool. :biglaugh:

I have a huge oak tree that shades most of my house all day and, boy oh boy, am I thankful for that!

Abi and I (read I :biglaugh: ) started hanging clothes on the line instead of using the dryer. The original reason was I think they smell better. However, with gas being what it is.....

Love the smell of clothes dried on the line. :love3:

The rain is so unpredictable here that I'd really have to pay attention to get away with it, but.... hmmm..... I'm sure that's one more thing I could look into doing.

Oh, and because it's hot here (REALLY hot), I turn my hot water heater heat off in the summer... still have water plenty warm for showers.

I remember when I lived in Tucson that I'd have to let the water run for a looooong time before it was cool enough to shower. When I needed to, I'd run a load of laundry first so as to not waste all that hot water.

I don't remember EVER turning the water heater on there. Seems like it got a little cooler in the winter, but not so much that a displaced squarehead would notice...

I am buying less books(new)I will buy Losing The Way and Ricahrds Prestons new Panic book,but

not renting videos,not eating out,not going to the dragstrip to race the Camaro,no magazines

go to yard sales for toys for grandkids unless its like a birthday.

Go to the Commissary,cut grass every two weeks(lots of land to cut!)Don't make a lot of little trip

to get into town whicj is 35 miles away.

It works okay and since I quit my job to take care of my grandson,(without pay) We had to cut

back anyhow.

I've always loved hanging my bedding out to dry. Now that I live in the midwest I usually get to hang them outside. I have to watch the weather too, especially in the spring. We've been hanging all our laundry out to dry the past few months - seems to be about a $50-$60 savings on the electric bill monthly!

I don't know when we've been out to eat, something we used to do a couple times a week.

We haven't bought any new clothes or "toys" in at least 6 months.

I didn't buy any plants at all this spring and that's what I miss most. But it could be worse.

Lots of things. I don't drive to work most of the time any more. My company reimburses me for taking the bus, so I'm saving about $400/month in gas and tollway charges. It takes longer for me to get to work, and on the afternoon sometimes there is this smelly woman that makes the whole bus smell like death and body odor, but overall it's ok.

Also, eating out has been severely curtailed. Not just for saving money, but it's healthier too. I look back at how I ate a year or two ago and see huge differences. Lunch every day for $10 to $20, with more spent on the weekends. That alone makes a huge difference too.

We also are trying to keep our entertainment and fun stuff closer to home. It used to be no big deal for me to drive 30+ miles away just to hang out for an hour or two, now we try to stay closer to home on evenings and weekends.

Other than that, we aren't doing much. My wife has always been fairly frugal, and I learned from her. So we're trying to save money even more where we can, but we're doing good.

*Make sure I know where all the money goes. Often pay by plastic even for small amounts, so that I can see on my bank statement where I've been spending.

*Cycle as much as possible.

*Built a garden and am now growing my own veg. Surpluses (later in the year) will be frozen.

*Freecycle (in and out) as much as possible. Try to meet the other person half way if possible.

*Turn off unnecessary lights.

*Have replaced ordinary incandescent light bulbs with longlife ones

*Raid chairty shops (the modern-day plurality palace) for clothes and unimportant household stuff (lampshades??)

*Got broadband not dial-up (now I can enjoy the Cafe much more!!!!)

*Give male friends haircuts (easy if you have a hair clipper) - saves them some money

Have never used a dryer (prefer outside).

Prefer to make own lunch rather than to buy out.

(edited coz it managed to double post somehow)

Edited by Twinky