GreaseSpot Cafe

I had a heart attack!

washn'wear

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

avoid the rocky road --HA HA :lol: :lol:

anyhow I am on the dean Ornish book adventure now...Ruby said even back then he was ahead of his time suggesting macro or is it micro biotic diets -- mostly veg -- she is the 3rd cardiologist I hae met that stays away from red meat. She told me the bool on love is very good 2--but she laughed as he is on his 4th marriage...but still said its worth reading --(I had asked about more books to read)

Edited by washn'wear

W & W, That is wonderful about the prognosis! YAYYYYY! That's gotta be a relief to hear. Cool, too, that you can get the kindergarten class!

The kids are on medicaid, which i'm glad for-- it's just basic coverage-- no dental or vision, but at least they are covered. I applied for my hubby and me, but we are not eligible. I can't remember the reason, because our income level is well within poverty level, but we aren't eligible, just the same. I can get a mamogram through medicaid, but it will be a wait of several months.

I think i will read up on the cayenne and niacin. I think I remember something about magnesium being good for High BP, also.

One of the many things I've done is to eliminate sugar as much as humanly possible from my diet. I now consume cayenne (capsicum) in the same volume most people use sugar. I've replaced black pepper with cayenne and grow it in my garden, using it in or on EVERYTHING.

Cayenne is a wonderful herb. Not only does it help control BP, it helps purify the blood, helps reduce inflammation and even helps heal wounds.

I keep some handy in my backpack and sprinkle it in my socks (sparingly) on extremely cold days as it keeps the feet warm.

I also take a niacin supplement which keeps me well circulated.

My cardiologist is somewhat dismayed by all this as he doesn't really understand it all, but he's taken me off all my cardio meds (Verapamil, coumadin, lanoxin, beta blockers and some other stuff I don't recall) except for the Lasix which I still need for chronic congestive heart failure. He just tells me whatever I'm doing, keep on doing it.

I don't know that I've ever had an actual myocardial infarction as I was born with a congenital birth defect in my heart which was first diagnosed when I was 18 and led to some serious episodes starting when I was 27. When in college, I joined the USMC Platoon Leader Corps which is the Marines equivalent of ROTC. My second physical examination resulted in a years worth of testing and subsequently getting kicked out, a draft status of 4F and a note saying I should go AFTER the women and children.

I now have a pacemaker and one deceased heart chamber and regurgitating valve which accounts for the chronic congestive heart failure.

Anyway, cayenne or capsicum is God's own wonder drug!

One of the many things I've done is to eliminate sugar as much as humanly possible from my diet. I now consume cayenne (capsicum) in the same volume most people use sugar. I've replaced black pepper with cayenne and grow it in my garden, using it in or on EVERYTHING.

Cayenne is a wonderful herb. Not only does it help control BP, it helps purify the blood, helps reduce inflammation and even helps heal wounds.

I keep some handy in my backpack and sprinkle it in my socks (sparingly) on extremely cold days as it keeps the feet warm.

I also take a niacin supplement which keeps me well circulated.

My cardiologist is somewhat dismayed by all this as he doesn't really understand it all, but he's taken me off all my cardio meds (Verapamil, coumadin, lanoxin, beta blockers and some other stuff I don't recall) except for the Lasix which I still need for chronic congestive heart failure. He just tells me whatever I'm doing, keep on doing it.

I don't know that I've ever had an actual myocardial infarction as I was born with a congenital birth defect in my heart which was first diagnosed when I was 18 and led to some serious episodes starting when I was 27. When in college, I joined the USMC Platoon Leader Corps which is the Marines equivalent of ROTC. My second physical examination resulted in a years worth of testing and subsequently getting kicked out, a draft status of 4F and a note saying I should go AFTER the women and children.

I now have a pacemaker and one deceased heart chamber and regurgitating valve which accounts for the chronic congestive heart failure.

Anyway, cayenne or capsicum is God's own wonder drug!

With as much as you exercise, you probably do not have any problems with blood sugar levels... which makes niacin a good supplement.

And given that we don't have the cold weather here that you do in the winter, I have no occasion to need cayenne in the shoes/socks, but we used to do that at Emporia sometimes...

Sounds like you've at least had the equivalent of heart attack(s)... I'm glad you are still able to exercise.

Just a little story.......

About 8 years ago a tall, slender, gentlemen zipped by me as I was running in the park. He was sweating profusely. He impressed me because he looked very aged and despite his energy he seemed to struggle. I passed him a couple of more times (we were going in opposite directions) and he did not let up. He pressed on. He seemed like he was on a mission. O. K. I have got to tell you that at one point I thought, "I am going to come up on this old fella and he is going to be laying dead on the side of the track." As I got back to my car he came to his car that was parked beside me. I just had to ask....how old are you and how often do you work out like this? By now his shirt is off exposing a six pack plus. Geez, you are making me look bad.....I told him my name and asked his. He said 20 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. I started running 90 minutes, 3 times a week and I haven't had diabetes in 19 years. He told me he was 83 years old. I asked him what had he changed in his diet. He said nothing. "I eat what I always have but now I exercise more." He was vibrant and happy. So full of life. We chatted for a while.

I saw in the obits today that he has passed. A spark from his life touched mine. He may not have realized it. But I have not forgotten.

Just a little story.......

About 8 years ago a tall, slender, gentlemen zipped by me as I was running in the park. He was sweating profusely. He impressed me because he looked very aged and despite his energy he seemed to struggle. I passed him a couple of more times (we were going in opposite directions) and he did not let up. He pressed on. He seemed like he was on a mission. O. K. I have got to tell you that at one point I thought, "I am going to come up on this old fella and he is going to be laying dead on the side of the track." As I got back to my car he came to his car that was parked beside me. I just had to ask....how old are you and how often do you work out like this? By now his shirt is off exposing a six pack plus. Geez, you are making me look bad.....I told him my name and asked his. He said 20 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. I started running 90 minutes, 3 times a week and I haven't had diabetes in 19 years. He told me he was 83 years old. I asked him what had he changed in his diet. He said nothing. "I eat what I always have but now I exercise more." He was vibrant and happy. So full of life. We chatted for a while.

I saw in the obits today that he has passed. A spark from his life touched mine. He may not have realized it. But I have not forgotten.

So, he was about 91 when he died? That's awesome! I hope he'll be an inspiration to you for the rest of your life too. Thanks for sharing him with us. :)

I did learn that cholesterol is like the size of a golf ball while triglycerides are like a volleyball. So in some ways they are more dangerous.

I also learned why the need for veggies in part--- because of the meds-- you loose a lot of potassium in your urine on the heart meds.