GreaseSpot Cafe

Ways To Make Extra $$$ In A Slow Economy!

Great idea Rottiegirl icon_wink.gif;)-->

Well...I have a few businesses going...but, recently was asked by the local organic farm to teach a few classes: indoor wreath making (using self grown dried stuff), jewelry making (made easy) and Ukrainian Egg Decorating- from now til Easter.

Don't know if I'll make much...but, it'll get me out and about networking...

This is a Brainstorming Thread...

Let 'er rip icon_smile.gif:)-->

Thanks for starting this Wacky.

Okay..There is a lady I met at a dog park, who brings 5 dogs twice a week for a romp. She sits on the park bench and smokes cigarettes and watches the dogs run and play. She is there rain or shine twice a week. She does keep an eye on her brood, and brings them plenty of water and is attentive to them, but damn! What a great idea!

Real dog walking (where you bring them out on walks with a leash) can be a bit more demanding. But another great possiblility. Put up ads at the local supermarkets and such.

Pet sitting is something I did for one summer as a kid. I made great money, and had people calling me for a few years after that when I had graduated on to other jobs, and didn't do it anymore.

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

..."Well...I have a few businesses going...but, recently was asked by the local organic farm to teach a few classes: indoor wreath making (using self grown dried stuff), jewelry making (made easy) and Ukrainian Egg Decorating- from now til Easter."...

Hey Wacky Funster...

I'll order some of that self grown dried stuff...

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Wild Thang

Psalmmy.......You could start a worm farm in ya cyclone basement. It only requires a little patience and ability to handle small animals. the initial investment can be as little as ten dollars or as much as a couple thousand, depending on time available and motivation. They usually sell for around 18 dollars a thousand.

There are many markets available for selling them. Bait shops,gardeners,zoos,laboritories,aqauriams, game breeeders and landfills.

Aristotle referred to worms as " the intestines of the earth".

Worms mutiply very quickly; even under unfavorable conditions, one thousand worms will yield over two billion worms in a period of two years.

You might try Earl Shields of Shields Publications for more info. I know people that do this in their garages in containers and are bringing in around 50 to 60 thouand a yr.

And for all those who have inspired youngsters looking for some extra spending money I suggest firefly collecting. the tailight of the common firefly has two rare chemicals....lucifern and luciferase. The Sigma Chemical Company has established the Sigma Firefly Club for the purpose of collecting the little bugs to be used in cancer research. Iowa seems to be the best place for firefly catching however Missouri, Pennsylvania and Kentcuky are following closely.

Firefly catchin' certainly won't pay for a lavish vacation or exspensive sports car, but its an excellent activity for agile youngsters. Depending on the number of firefly's you send in, you should receive thirty cents to a dollar per hundred bugs. A firefly safari might be the answer for those mom's who listen all summer long to the refrain "We have nothing to do".

Hawkeye...that reminds me...

When growing up, my best friend across the street...her dad was the head of the science dept. at the college behind our houses. Her mom, raised and cultivated fruit flies in her basement. I kid you not. All different breeds of them...she would keep them separated...

She made bundles, selling vials of these fruit flies to colleges all over the country. Apparently, they use them for teaching genetics and cross breeding purposes. They are easy to keep, and breed quickly for students to collect data.

(Good idea with the worms...I think I'd leave the fireflies alone tho)

icon_smile.gif:)-->

I like that idea about raising worms, they are quiet, don't require much space and above all work for less than minimum wage icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Soap making is an easily learned craft whereby one can turn $10 worth of materials into $30+ worth of goods depending on the local market. Millersoap.com has instructions with lots of different recipies faq's and links.

Several retired folks that came into the farmers market did so to suppliment their income and have a good time in the process. I am fairly certain a few actually did, it went well and did good for it's first year and most of them are coming back next year. A NC farmer, Alex Hitt grows on 5 acres and does exceptionally well, his info is on the web.

Residential window cleaning is a good gig too, practice first on you and your friends houses, make sure you know how to avoid knocking over stuff in the home and get some experience taking in and out storm windows (aka SuperWindowMans Kryptonite). I know some cleaners that make REAL good $ doing this (with a couple of years experience and reputation behind them) and as long as the economy is sputtering along like it is there are people who will pay to have this done once or twice a year, Sooooooooo...all you aging RC folks ought to dust off those old squeegies or check out the janitorial section at HD icon_wink.gif;)--> and see what you can come up with icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Gutter cleaning, yard work, pet sitting (didn't that already get mentioned?). Oh yeah...simple home repairs. One common complaint I hear (and get requests for) is the difficulty of finding someone to do small simple home repairs. From replacing a piece of sheetrock to painting a closet to hanging and taking back down Xmas lights, homeowners have a hard time finding someone to do these things.

I own a 150 yr old house and learned quite a bit about plumbing, electricity (it bites icon_eek.gif ) carpentry, roofing restoration work etc so you might have to set down with a pen and paper and try and make a list of what skills you've got and go from there.

Anyways hope this helps, personally I am going to hang onto what business I have, streamline it some and finish up my education and explore this E.D. position G.O. is having difficulty filling (me thinks a leadership training course this spring may be on the agenda too, twi's consensus thinking and dictatorial edicts did little to help me in this regard)

Oh yeah almost forgot, there are still grants and such for people who go to college, perhaps taking advantage of this would assist someone upgrade their marketable skills and provide some extra $ for living expenses to boot, might be worth looking into if say one parent is working and the other's been thinking of getting that degree they never got because of involvement with a certain cult...

Anyways

Happy Day!!

Market Research is also another field that can be appealing to some. You might try cecking the * Bradford directory of Market Research agencies. You might land a job setting on the side of the road with clicker in hand counting cars or setting at dunkin doughnuts counting how many people actually do dunk their doughnuts.

And here is one that might interest some of you Mom's at home. Try doll repair, I've heard tht the doll population in most communities is ten times the human population. Now of course ya got to know a few sewing techniques. You can acquire old, discarded dolls from garage sells.flea markets, the town dump, junk shops, good will dumpsters and repair them to be all cuddly again and then resale them. The Doll Hospital in Los Angeles has a wealth of information and courses offering training in doll repair.Doll artistry requires some imagination and dolls created by doll artists are as valuable as any work of art. Just ask Magge Head, creator of the Magge Head doll.

In closing I offer this concernng those work at home rip-off artist.

1. he will require money for instructions or merchandise before telling you how the plan operates.

2. he will promise you huge bucks

3. he will never, never offer you regular salaried employment

4. he will insist that experience or skills are completely unecessary

5. he will assure you that the market for your works is exploding with potential.

And I sure wish I would have known these tactics before signing the green card....LOL.

Happy job huntin' to you all!!!

Pet sitting.

Where I live there is a pet sitting service's that will watch you pet at your house.

They come and feed you pet, clean the cat box icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->, check the mail, and water house plants, take your pet to the vet (if nessasary) for about $10.00 per day icon_eek.gif

This is a very popular service.

It is less traumatic to keep a pet in familiar surroundings and have someone provide them food and water than to take them to strange surroundings or put in a small cage (kennels) for periods of time.

Of course for this type of job, you gotta love pets and enjoy taking care of them.

Web design and development!

Yes, yes, I know, the Dot.Com crash really put the punch into the 'internet' economy, but the internet as a viable informational, educational, entertaining, and economical medium and avenue is here to stay. I've heard one national news item that the average time that people spend on the internet ranges from 7-10 hours a week, more than even TV or radio. And more and more people are spending $$$ over the 'net too, despite some misgivings about security via the transactions.

And all this translates into a growing need for web designers and developers. icon_smile.gif:)-->

A couple of things to learn while you're developing your web design skills that can really add punch to your portfolio are 1) Flash, 2) graphics illustration (via Photoshop or some other graphics app), 3) Visual Basic and database design, and 4) computer network skills. Any of those can add value to your work; the more you learn, the better. And to make it even better, view it as fun to learn and really get into it. Kinda like art class or building projects in a way. Be creative! icon_cool.gif Computers can be fun that way.

Anywho, thats my suggestion.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

krysilis...good deal...smart woman icon_smile.gif:)-->

I thought of you today. I am naming our workshop after you..."Krysilis"...I guess it means the cocoon from which the butterfly emerges.

I've been asked to run a workshop with a local psychotherapist...for 8 women...

The money is great...and...it's the work that I'm best at doing. It's March 22nd...first day of Spring too icon_smile.gif:)-->

I guess that's another way to make extra money...

That's what it means Wack-a-doodle. I had to corrupt the spelling because the normal spelling was taken by a subscriber to my ISP!

What it really means to me is the series of changes or metamorphosis that go on within it...that's what I've been doing since I left der Weg...changing within!

Rock on!

My eldest son works at a local commissary as a bagger (he bags your grocerys and carrys them out into the parking lot and loads them into your car for you), he gets around $50 each day.

We have been a foster family, which pays anywhere from $10 each day for each empty bed, to as much as $50 each day for children placed with you.

We have adopted and so we recieve child support, which today has risen to levels between $700 and $1,000 each month depending on the child and the state he comes from. All tax free, and seperate from the medical and educational coverage.

Our eldest is now buying computers from retailers on the internet, he puts them together and tests them, for one day. Then he auctions them on E-bay. He has made a minimum of $50 so far on each deal.

ET1 SS

Galen

Bless you