GreaseSpot Cafe

Plagiarism Again?

spectrum49

WordWolf: That's interesting, considering he did a 2-part taped teaching at one point to try to

insert the athletic terminology into Ephesians 6.

Yes, it IS interesting. They were each doing their own thing in their own way.

I suspect by the time lcm was "mantled", he had become totally delusional. Every thought that jumped into his okie skull, he thought was divinely inspired...who needs a research department when you're the mog!

In hindsight, it seems obvious that Martindale was a dull bulb who lost his mind...Vic really should have known better than to pick this guy...really.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Edited by penworks

In hindsight, it seems obvious that Martindale was a dull bulb who lost his mind...Vic really should have known better than to pick this guy...really.

VP probably thought it would be easier to mold and control a dull bulb than an independent thinker. Apparently that turned out not to be the case with LCM, at least when it came to pushing athletic imagery.

Here is something from Karl Kahler's book.

http://www.ex-way.com/excerpts/chapter12.htm

Speaking of Karl, if you read the whole chapter that the exerpt is quoted from, he does the best job that I've seen describing the wackiness and lack of actual research that went into the whole athletes of the spirit concept. There's a presentation that he describes involving not only Martindale, but Wierwille and Cummins as well, that includes the infamous "there's gotta be a text that says such-and-such" statements, bending definitions, out-of-context interpretations, and in short a great illustration overall of how "research" in TWI was a self-serving bunch of bullsh--

Speaking of Karl, if you read the whole chapter that the exerpt is quoted from, he does the best job that I've seen describing the wackiness and lack of actual research that went into the whole athletes of the spirit concept. There's a presentation that he describes involving not only Martindale, but Wierwille and Cummins as well, that includes the infamous "there's gotta be a text that says such-and-such" statements, bending definitions, out-of-context interpretations, and in short a great illustration overall of how "research" in TWI was a self-serving bunch of bullsh--

I agree Karl does do a good job with that. And I like your recounting of the often-heard: "...infamous "there's gotta be a text that says such-and-such" statements, bending definitions, out-of-context interpretations."

I call that scriptural gymnastics which is used to prove whatever you want.

IMO, the term "research" was defined in twi according to what vpw believed, for the most part, and whatever he thought should be "ackrit" (that's a literal translation according to usage of the word "accurate"). From what I've seen, most fundamentalists who try and prove inerrancy do this, too, to one degree or another.

IMO inerrancy is an erroneous way to approach the texts in between those 2 covers. But that's another topic...

Cheers!

Edited by penworks

VP probably thought it would be easier to mold and control a dull bulb than an independent thinker. Apparently that turned out not to be the case with LCM, at least when it came to pushing athletic imagery.

vpw's been quoted, when asked why he picked lcm, as saying that the reason was that

lcm always followed his orders, and never questioned him.

I believe this was a true reason he did pick lcm.

vpw's been quoted, when asked why he picked lcm, as saying that the reason was that

lcm always followed his orders, and never questioned him.

I believe this was a true reason he did pick lcm.

Interesting. I'd heard speculation about his reasons, but I didn't know he actually came out and said it.