GreaseSpot Cafe

What a stark contrast

RumRunner

While to make any attempt at a direct comparison would be foolish simply by shear difference of magnitude - this video was somewhat inspirational - at least to me.

One woman who stands up to an entire regime, in secret, and is successful.

vs

So many who caved into vic's debauchery, screaming, intimidation, drunken lies, and very slick con talk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVw1PANUcdg

Edited by RumRunner

Sorry, RR, but that Glenn guy aggravates me too much to watch the video. There are lots of conservative commentators I like, even though I often disagree with them: George Will, Pat Buchanan, Tucker Carlson, Joe Scarboro. But Glenn (Beck, is it?) is someone who rubs me the wrong way.

Can you post a synopsis? :)

I rarely like any conservative commentators - then again I don't like the liberal commentators either. That youtube had nothing to do with political ideology - it is a most excellent human interest story. I am not going to post a synopsis - that rubs ME the wrong way almost like asking me to write a book report because you can't stomach the author even though some of their writing may be excellent. And asking me to write a synopsis strikes me as outright lazy. If you can't watch him that is most certainly your choice - but it is worth the watch and it is probably your loss if you don't.

No doubt this will get moderated for being some kind of personal attack - however since I didn't call you anything - and said only "rubs ME the wrong way" and "strikes me <===strikes me not an accusation as lazy" I don't few it as a personal attack.

Sorry, RR, but that Glenn guy aggravates me too much to watch the video. There are lots of conservative commentators I like, even though I often disagree with them: George Will, Pat Buchanan, Tucker Carlson, Joe Scarboro. But Glenn (Beck, is it?) is someone who rubs me the wrong way.

Can you post a synopsis? :)

I rarely like any conservative commentators - then again I don't like the liberal commentators either. That youtube had nothing to do with political ideology - it is a most excellent human interest story. I am not going to post a synopsis - that rubs ME the wrong way almost like asking me to write a book report because you can't stomach the author even though some of their writing may be excellent. And asking me to write a synopsis strikes me as outright lazy. If you can't watch him that is most certainly your choice - but it is worth the watch and it is probably your loss if you don't.

No doubt this will get moderated for being some kind of personal attack - however since I didn't call you anything - and said only "rubs ME the wrong way" and "strikes me <===strikes me not an accusation as lazy" I don't few it as a personal attack.

RR:

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, but I guess my little smiley face didn't make that clear. Sorry, RR.

Lazy, I'm not, thankyouverymuch. Well, maybe a little. But it's not laziness that prompted me not view the video. I'll probably watch it later. I'm trying to watch Dancing with the Stars.

If I told you to kiss my derriere (and I say this with affection, a very evil grin, and only because I know you in real life), would that be a personal attack? In that case, I'd better not say anything like that. :P <-- tongue released from cheek now

Here is a different video same subject more information.

NOT done by a political pundit.

Edited to add the first video only had a couple of political type comments on it the rest of it was quite good. and was viewable by conservative and liberal alike with out worry of offense.

Edited by leafytwiglet

It is the story about Irena no matter who tells it. What a beautiful woman, oohh, such a beautiful life. She didn't ask political party. Neither did the children. Oh, that we should learn from them.

I totally agree with you. What a wonderful woman and what a marvelous example to us all!

RR:

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, but I guess my little smiley face didn't make that clear. Sorry, RR.

Lazy, I'm not, thankyouverymuch. Well, maybe a little. But it's not laziness that prompted me not view the video. I'll probably watch it later. I'm trying to watch Dancing with the Stars.

If I told you to kiss my derriere (and I say this with affection, a very evil grin, and only because I know you in real life), would that be a personal attack? In that case, I'd better not say anything like that. :P <-- tongue released from cheek now

You're not the only one who can't take watching Glenn Beck... I think the guy is just plain creepy.

:offtopic:

Honestly... what difference does it make who told the story?

We say, "Don't kill the messenger just because you don't like the message." Isn't this the equivalent of "Killing the message because you don't like the messenger,"?!?!

The story was beautiful no matter who did the speaking.

It seems to be a characteristic of GSC more and more these days Doojable. Everything must be politicized. I don't watch TV - haven't in years - I had no idea who this guy was - just got a post from a liberal friend who thought I would like it because both of our mothers have been heavily involved in the Holocaust Museum even prior to inception. Never heard of the guy - whatever his name was - and I don't really care what he is - who he is - or how he votes. The story was great. Seems like once we got another post of the "sanitized" version it became a nice story.

Might as well still be reading the blue book for all of that "open mindedness."

Oh - and BTW the guy doesn't creep me out - because I don't watch TV and know precisely 0.0 about him. I just appreciated the narrative. But hey - I am the biggest political cynic on the planet - I think they all kinda SUCK APPLES.

Honestly... what difference does it make who told the story?

We say, "Don't kill the messenger just because you don't like the message." Isn't this the equivalent of "Killing the message because you don't like the messenger,"?!?!

The story was beautiful no matter who did the speaking.

Edited by RumRunner

And Dear Leafy - your mom had HOW MUCH involvement in the holocaust museum? Ever seen the tatoo on the forearm? Ever really seen one? Ever had a discussion? - Please just take your politics to politics and tacs - No doubt you are a nice person; well at least your old man is because he brews his own beer and ale. And... (never begin a sentence with a conjunction) my version of courtesy is not defined by political correctness...it is defined by data - whether from the left/right whatever - It is just DATA - and must be evaluated as such without regard to personal or political belief.

BTW - I am NOT coming down on your submission. It was beautiful. I just object to the rampant politicization of every thing posted at GSC.

Night hon - thanks for your input. Best on your hubby's beer brewing - I did it for years - and perhaps can offer some advice.

I posted the so called sanitized version as a courtesy and because it had more information. Not as a political statement.
Edited by RumRunner

I posted the so called sanitized version as a courtesy and because it had more information. Not as a political statement.

IMHO...

The point is NOT that the second version was posted. The point is that there was a "need" to post a second version.

The second version had different information and not necessarily more information.

Like I said, why did the message take a back seat to the messenger?

IMHO...

The point is NOT that the second version was posted. The point is that there was a "need" to post a second version.

The second version had different information and not necessarily more information.

I agree. What's more important --- the message, or the messenger?

While you're at it -- cut off your nose to spite your face, eh? :o

Some stories need to be heard --- regardless who tells them (just my imo).

IMHO...

well, looking at the first video link, which was titled "Irena Sandler vs. Al Gore", it was not a big stretch for someone to comment on Beck's ideology. And Beck himself mentioned the contrast. this, coupled with what some of us do know about Beck's views, left the field open. Then there was Rum's subtitle to the thread, which played into the title of the video even though in RR's post he was contrasting our TWI experiences to Irena's life, not her life and accomplishments to Gore's like the video did.

THAT said, I do believe Rumrunner did not mean for it to be a political discourse and he only meant to share the Irena story, which sounds to be an inspirational one. Hence, I think the second video does a better job of making Rum's point.

Simply said, I can see how the discussion developed, inspite of Rum's surprise and upbraiding towards the GSC site and some of the poster's on this thread. With the many great videos on Irena Sandler out there, the first one was probably not the best to make his point as it was in itself political, and was posted on YouTube FOR the purpose of making a political statement.

FYI, I clicked Rum's link before reading the rest of his post, and so I thought the "contrast" Rum was posting about was Sandler vs Gore. THEN I read his post and saw that was not what he meant it to be. I don't fault others here for commenting on the politics of the video Rum posted however. THAT was the message in the video Rum posted even though he did not mean for it to be the message! Pretty much a misunderstanding all the way around it seems to me.

~HAP

I agree. What's more important --- the message, or the messenger?

While you're at it -- cut off your nose to spite your face, eh? :o

Some stories need to be heard --- regardless who tells them (just my imo).

Geez... PEOPLE... I wasn't criticizing Mr. Beck for telling this person's story.

And I certainly wasn't criticizing RR for posting the link to Beck's clip.

My statement was simply that I can't listen to the guy.

I think I adequately explained WHY I can't listen to the guy.

By all means, I reflected MY neurosis in saying that I can't listen to the guy.

I will still feel free to criticize Beck... but certainly NOT for telling this lady's story.

IOW, neither I, nor LindaZ was suggesting anyone needed to be politically correct in their beliefs or opinions or statements or actions...

And I appreciate the kind act by the person who found the other clip.

C'mon, RR. My saying I don't like Glenn Beck was "rampant politicization"? I'd say using this fine woman's life story to make a political point, as Beck did, was rampant politicization.

I didn't mean to get everyone in an uproar with my initial remark, but it was no big, heavy political statement. I clicked on the video, and instead of seeing what I thought might be an inspirational story, I saw Beck's mug So I wisecracked that I can't stand watching him.

Back to the topic at hand: I can't imagine the courage it took this woman to do what she did. Love really is stronger than the forces of evil. That's the message I came away with after viewing the video.

Irena Sendler was an example of more than great strength.

She did what was right. Her goal wasn't to get an award, or fame, or to be talked about when she died. As a CATHOLIC she could have placed these children with Christian families to protect them while she conveniently "forgot" to maintain their Jewish heritage. She could have then allowed their true heritage to die and fade into a distant memory. She preserved their identities.

Can you imagine a "gentle" woman like her training dogs to bark so that the German soldiers wouldn't hear the cries of the babies in the coffins and tool chests? Can you imagine what it took for her to ask the families to trust her with these children? "(Please give me your children!") Over 2500!

Can you imagine how vicious a person (and regime) had to be to capture her and break her feet?!

But they couldn't break her spirit or her resolve.

Can you imagine what it was like when that woman who cared for her in the nursing home realized that Irena- the woman in front of her - the woman she was to care for, Irena was the very same woman who smuggled her to safety as a six month old infant?

And she didn't try to start her own church with these now-grown infants. She didn't gather them up and tell them to be thankful to her church or her ideology. She went on with her life. No splinter groups. No politics. Simply love and decency; strength and integrity.

Do you think Irena shed more tears of pain over losing the Nobel Peace Prize or tears of joy over seeing that that little six month old baby had grown up and was leading a healthy life?

Edited by doojable

I poked around (after watching the first and second videos today) and I found this:

Life in a Jar:

This should be the true goal of a student, teacher, parent...Human - to pay it forward.

We read history to learn. We are exposed to some hideous as well as amazing and inspiring truths. Perhaps it's more of an American "disease" that we ignore things just because the speaker is not someone we like or can stomach. Just how many Germans do you think ignored Hitler because they couldn't stand what he said or how he sounded or that stupid little mustache?

Bravo for these students and their teachers and the people who helped them.

Back to the topic at hand: I can't imagine the courage it took this woman to do what she did. Love really is stronger than the forces of evil. That's the message I came away with after viewing the video.

AMEN!

Rocky, you are a man sensitive enough to be in touch with your neurosis side!! Funny...funny...laughing!!!

:rolleyes: