GreaseSpot Cafe

Ambassador One

TheHighWay

No idea but it does say San Diego Airport. I cannot remember when it was sold, seems like after VPW died, and I believe to a funeral home chain.

We got to go on a trip on Amb. 1 to a weekend in Rome City, by special invitation. We had two foster kids at that time, teenagers, and we took them along. They were both grads.

I don't like to fly, and I especially don't like to fly in shaking, noisy prop jets. It wasn't pressurized very well. It wasn't much of a fun flight for me.

Once there, we were separated from the kids, who later told us that their tour guides, fellow teenagers whose parents were in the family WC, revealed to them that it was like being in prison, no music except Way Productions, no freedom to go anywhere or do anything normal teenagers do. Unfortunately, we were ready to file to adopt the young man; however, he soon arranged to go live with his sister. The girl got pregnant and ran away to live with the babydaddy.

I often wonder if these events would have occurred in their young lives had they not been dragged off to Rome City.

WG

Here is some info

San Diego - International / Lindbergh Field (SAN / KSAN)

USA - California, December 1985

The photo was taken by a Frank C Duarte Jr.

Who takes photos of Jets .

HE is a professional ?? Photographer with thousands of jet photos

I googled him

I think he just happened to be there and took the photo. At least that is what the notes on the plane seem to indicate.

Any body Know what function either Martindale or VP was attending?

San Diego December of 1985. It was after I left so I have no Idea.

Water Garden how Sad!

The photo was taken by a poster at airnliners.net which is a website for aviation lovers, it also has a forum, there's many non pilots that post there who are aircraft junkies, but also a good number of pilots too.  

Posters there are either aircraft fanatics, general aviation enthusiast pilots, working aviation professionals, and sometimes professional aviation photographers.  They often go to airports just to watch planes take off, and will photograph airplanes that catch their eye, or that are unknown to them or unusual.  In America, 9/11 has curtailed alot of the plane watching due to hightened security around the airports though.  Often pilots and aviation proffessionals will take photos of aircraft while they are on the ramp at airports they fly in to, or at their home base.

This particular photo is copyrighted, as all photographs on this website are, this one by Frank C. Duarte Jr, the photographer, who may be a military aviator, a working aviator, a flight attendant, aircraft mechanic, a professional photographer, or just an aircraft geek junkie.  It looks like he originally took the photo in 1985 from SAN airport.  

From an N number inquiry I ran, if this is the right N number from the website, can't see one in the photo, it says after twi, the aircraft was sold and exported to Colombia, although I'm not entirely sure that is correct seeing as there is no supporting information that is the correct N number, I'll have to more research on it.  It also says that the N328VP N-number twi had changed it to, is being kept in reserve by a Bob Nichols in DC.  Funny they used the PO Box number for twi for it, kinda strange that is what they chose when they requested the new number.  

Anyway, the photo was taken by Frank C Duarte Jr, who is probably a pilot, when he was at or outside the fence at SAN in 1985.

Edited by now I see

LOL

We sure did only you have way more info.

Okay And I will probably catch flack but it really is a pretty design that was painted on her .. and when we came in from the WOW field we got to go on a tour of ambassador One in the hanger. it was so spotlessly clean in there. and it was a fun thing and kind of nice after a long year. I know VP was a bastard and all but it was a pretty cool thing that we got to do. At least for me..

Edited by leafytwiglet

Only because I often go to airliners.net for information from time to time, it is a one of a kind website for what it does.

There's quite a few posters here who got to ride on her back in the day, I know Jim did....Very cool.  Twi also retrofitted her with some nice upgraded Allison turbo-prop engines that gave her increased peformance, range and longevity.

Edited by now I see

Only because I often go to airliners.net for information from time to time, it is a one of a kind website for what it does.

There's quite a few posters here who got to ride on her back in the day, I know Jim did.

I would have liked going for a ride in her. She really seemed ship shape at that time.

When was she sold?

And Why?

or was this all part of Craig and the twi bleeding money

The last argument I had with Ms. Rivenbark involved Ambassador 1. I signed up for one of those weekends where staff could go along if one of the trustees was flying into an area to teach. I had already put in my resignation and was soon to leave staff, but I was approved for the flight. She tried to stop me from going, but I fought her on it. I won. :dance:

It was a nice plane, but WG is right...the pressurization wasn't great. I don't remember it being a rough or noisy flight, though.

One of my favorite things was when Ambassador 1 would buzz the big tent at the opening of the ROA. The pilots used to get in trouble with the FAA or somebody at the local airport when they'd practice doing that, but I loved it.

They sent it to Columbia?????? Not the District of Columbia, maybe?????

And yes, the company they sold it to agreed to keep the number. As I recall from when they got it, VPW requested that PO Box number be on it.

It was very, very nice inside, I agree, and waiting to see it land one time was very cool indeed.

As I recall, it was sold after VPW died because it was considered old wineskins, allegedly, and also because I seem to remember LCM did not much like flying anyway, probably the real reason. Didn't he have a conniption one time because someone flew him on Acts 29 through the fringes of a thunderstorm, and ended up firing or M&A'ing the pilot?

WG

Thanks, everyone, for the info on the picture! I kinda figured if twi had paid someone to take the shot we would have seen it before now.

Anyway, the best I can remember is that Ambassador One was sold off when they decided it was no longer cost-efficient. (Hah... imagine that really being a concern of twi...) like it was a choice between some kind of upgrade or just getting rid of it? And didn't they do some kind of swap deal to get the smaller plane Craig then used? Something about leasing out the extra hanger space in trade for the older plane? --- Sorry, these are just vague recollections... I'm sure someone here is far more familiar with the details than I.

THW

It shows it was exported to the country of Colombia (spelled differently than Columbia as in DC) in 1991, and was deregistered with an American N-Number at that time because of it being exported out of the country.

Deregistered Aircraft 1 of 1 

Aircraft DescriptionSerial Number 18 Type Registration Corporation

Manufacturer Name CONVAIR Certificate Issue Date 03/27/1991 

Model 340 Mode S Code 51673573

Year Manufacturer None Cancel Date 04/12/1991 

Reason for Cancellation Exported Exported To COLOMBIA

It may still be an aircraft in service in parts unknown, whether it's still in Colombia or not, or it may be scrapped by now, old airframes often are, Convair stopped making the CV-340 in 1950's.

Regarding N328VP, I still think they coulda come up with a better number than that for something that's usually so significant to the airplane and to it's owners, it is held on reserve indefinitely:

Reserved N-Number Type Reservation No Fee 

Mode S Code 50706761 

Reserved Date 09/11/2003 

Renewal Date None 

Purge Date 99/99/9999 

Pending Number Change None 

Date Change Authorized None 

Reserving Party Name SBS PROGRAM OFFICE/ATO-E/BOB NICHOLS 

Street 800 INDEPENDENCE AVE SW 

City WASHINGTON 

State DIST. OF COL. 

Zip Code 20591 

County DIST OF COLUMBIA 

Country UNITED STATES

Anyone have a photo of Acts 29 or information regarding it?

Edited by now I see

This picture could have been taken when the Advanced Class took place in San Diego summer of 86. I remember going down to the airport to join the throng of worshipers to see LCM get off the plane.

Hmmm Maybe but the photo is dated December of 1985...

I would have liked going for a ride in her. She really seemed ship shape at that time.

When was she sold?

And Why?

or was this all part of Craig and the twi bleeding money

I seem to remember it being sold somewhere around ' 87 or '88, but don't hold me to that. Planes really do "bleed money" because even when they're idle they still require a lot of maintenance and thus expenses. TWI got tight on finances round about then, someone put a downpayment on it of like $150,000 but then didn't come up with the rest of the money. So TWI got to put it up for sale again so they made out pretty well and there was a significant influx of cash. I believe this was prior to the sale of Rome City and Emporia. I'm relaying this from memory and it is second hand information from someone who was in the corps at the time. It was definitely after VPW died but even as early as Living Victoriously VP said publically they had considered selling it because of the costliness of it.

It was fun to watch land and stuff but the thing was an albatross from the "get go". They only kept it around to impress people and each other.