GreaseSpot Cafe

Scottish terriers

Watered Garden

This from the AKC

http://clubs.akc.org/stca/faqs.htm

Brought up with well-behaved children who respect his independent nature, rights, and space, a Scottie will adjust to their activities and may even appoint himself their guardian. In general, Scotties can be agitated by the quick movements and unexpected noises of children and their friends and become nippy. Rescued Scotties are usually not placed in homes with young children because of this tendency and the lack of information on their background.

Here's an additional link:

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/s...shterriers.html

There are plenty of adult Scotties who have already proven themselves NOT to have negative characteristics. If you find such an adult, don't let "typical breed negatives" worry you.

When you acquire a puppy, you're acquiring potential -- what he one day will be. So "typical breed characteristics" are very important. But when you acquire an adult, you're acquiring what he already IS.

Edited by doojable

My family raised and bred terriers my whole childhood, as long as the Scottie is raised with children in the house and has good training from the adults, there should be no problem.  Terriers are usually very loyal, good watchdogs, love to dig, originally bred for hunting, and can very bold, if they are oriented with other pets and children from puppyhood with strong leadership from humans, they adapt really well.

I personally like the methods of the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan's approach to orienting dogs to children and people to dogs, humans being pack leaders, he has a website under his name, books, videos and a tv show on the National Geographic channel.  

This website is a great information source on the Scottie and all dog breeds:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/scottishterrier.htm

Good luck!  :)

Edited by now I see

Our household has two Scotties. A black brindle (auburn and grey) named Jock, and a Wheaton (white with blond markings) named Laddie. Our children were grown when they joined the family, but the neighborhood kids love to play with them and we've had no problem. Ours love being outside. Only downside, they love bringing us moles they have dug out of the ground and killed. Smelly! But they're great pets. Love them to pieces.

PurpleDays

Thanks for the info, y'all.

Sprout says this one loves the baby. We'll see how he does with our cocker spaniel and MiniSprout.

I think he's pretty young. Probably given away because his original humans couldn't spend time with him.

As far as interaction with children. I got my lab, Sophie, because the people who had owned her from puppyhood said she was vicious around their child and might harm it. This of course because they had no time for her and didn't want her any more.

She was the best damn dog I ever had or ever will have. If I can only have one dog in heaven, I want it to be her. She let Mini crawl all over her, loved him extravagantly, and would have died protecting him if need be.

You cannot tell just from the writeups. I've seen pit bulls that were wussies.

Maxx, our first cocker, used to kill moles in the garden. He only brought one in, though, when we were on vacation and a friend was dog/house sitting for us. She was not real impressed when he came prancing in the house with a little mole butt hanging out of his mouth. She was less impressed when she found out it was still alive.

WG

NO experience with Scotties but the fox terriers I grew up with and around were all excellent with us kids. They are playful full of energy and real comedians too. See the mole story above,

and loyal and very affectionate.

But remember every dog is different as was mentioned there are even wussie Pit bulls.

actually I have met some really stellar pit bulls too,

Really it amounts to how good a parent you are to you dog.

Hope this little lovey dog turns out to be a real Gem!

Last year my Darla of 13 years passed away. She was part Cairn or Rat Terrier. Little brown thing. She owned the neighborhood. Just 2 weeks before she passed she was in the front yard, standing her ground and nipping at the neck of a collie who wandered into HER yard. They are called terriers for a reason.

I almost grieved myself to death when she passed. I couldn't stand it anymore, so the boy and I headed off to the pound where we adopted Darla when she was 3 months old. I told the receptionist I want to see the puppies. We went in and looked at all the "puppies." Some looked to be the size of a baby donkey. They all were barking and jumping as if they were saying, "take me, look at me, puuuhhhleeezzzz take me home with you." We held one little pup and it was so timid. All along I noticed this little brindle scottie just sitting in the cage and quietly watching our every move. He was so proud of himself. I told the boy let's hold this scottie. I picked him up, he layed his head on my shoulder and I said o.k. where do I pay?!?!!! He was 2 years old and in the baby room. Go figure.

Just like Darla, he was very independent yet loyal and obedient. He got his feelings hurt easily. So sweet and loving. I have never had a furkid with such personality!! He bossed Lily the Lab, she complied and loved every minute of it.

A month ago the meter reader pulled into the driveway, did not see Bucky, ran over and killed him. I miss that little prince. We never had a problem with his behavior except for his chewing. By the time he passed he was down to chewing up only one major costly item a day. Funny, though he never chewed up anything that belonged to me. He was smart enough (and they are VERY smart) to know about the hand that fed him. He loved to ride in the car which I was told is common with scotties.

I would have another scottie in a moment.

Last year my Darla of 13 years passed away. She was part Cairn or Rat Terrier. Little brown thing. She owned the neighborhood. Just 2 weeks before she passed she was in the front yard, standing her ground and nipping at the neck of a collie who wandered into HER yard. They are called terriers for a reason.

I almost grieved myself to death when she passed. I couldn't stand it anymore, so the boy and I headed off to the pound where we adopted Darla when she was 3 months old. I told the receptionist I want to see the puppies. We went in and looked at all the "puppies." Some looked to be the size of a baby donkey. They all were barking and jumping as if they were saying, "take me, look at me, puuuhhhleeezzzz take me home with you." We held one little pup and it was so timid. All along I noticed this little brindle scottie just sitting in the cage and quietly watching our every move. He was so proud of himself. I told the boy let's hold this scottie. I picked him up, he layed his head on my shoulder and I said o.k. where do I pay?!?!!! He was 2 years old and in the baby room. Go figure.

Just like Darla, he was very independent yet loyal and obedient. He got his feelings hurt easily. So sweet and loving. I have never had a furkid with such personality!! He bossed Lily the Lab, she complied and loved every minute of it.

A month ago the meter reader pulled into the driveway, did not see Bucky, ran over and killed him. I miss that little prince. We never had a problem with his behavior except for his chewing. By the time he passed he was down to chewing up only one major costly item a day. Funny, though he never chewed up anything that belonged to me. He was smart enough (and they are VERY smart) to know about the hand that fed him. He loved to ride in the car which I was told is common with scotties.

I would have another scottie in a moment.

Kimberly (((hugs)))

I am so sorry about your Bucky. That is just a shame!

I am fortunate to have good neighbors who, while they liked my lab much better than they like my cocker spaniel, are very aware when she decides to take a run across their driveway, with me in hot pursuit, and watch very carefully.

She is getting better about staying on her own 4 acres, but when she sees a kid, aka her new best friend, she can't resist.

Mr. Garden thinks I'm paranoid. I say I'm prudent, so many times she goes around her yard with me on the other end of a leash.

WG

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got to meet the Scottie and it is actually a miniature Schnauzer. Cute little thing but I don't like the way it acts around the Mini all that much. He tends to mess with dogs, and while my wonderful cocker can dish it out as well as take it, the schnauzer already snapped at him once, and grabbed my hand for something, which got him a grasped, shaken muzzle, and a firm "NO! BAD DOG" from me, since I wasn't doing anything remotely threatening, just looking at a bur he'd got caught on his leg when he ran off to explore the woods.

He did calm down a bit. But he is Sprout's dog and doesn't respond much to anyone else, which Sprout loves, but is not IMO a great thing in a family pet. They need to get it scanned for a microchip, and then maybe the real owner will get it back.

We'll see. It is cute.

WG

Exactly my thoughts at the moment. And of course Sprout reminded Mini that the dog would probably be eaten as well. However, the whole incident was good at the end.

Apparently schnauzers are not as bright as my little Bodacious or maybe it just wasn't bonded to its new family. Also it is not neutered, and therefore needs a brain adjustment in the worst way.

WG