GreaseSpot Cafe

Sistine Chapel oddity

doojable

Okay. I was looking at dmiller's topic in the Virtual Sistine Chapel Tour and looked more closely at the Fall and Temptation panel:

Temptation_and_Fall-Sistine_Chapel_Ceiling.jpg

Look at Eve here:

michelangelo-eve-detail.jpg

Think about this folks. She's built like a man and she's in the perfect position for... well - you know. BUT she has turned away and is being tempted by this:

sistineadamevew300.jpg

The serpent is a woman?

Now I'm not about to run a class on this. But I thought it was funny that LCM may have built a whole teaching around this type of thing.

Uh, wasn't it Michelangelo?

Oooo, Eve really does have "Manhands" doesn't she?

Yes. Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel.

"Manhands"? Uhhhh... did you see the biceps on that chick?

If we go with Rev Forehead's crap about lesbianism being the first sin - hmm does that make the devil female? Whaddya think Dr. George? I'm actually inclined to agree with the devil being female - but not about lesbianism being the first sin. I'm actually also on board with those rabid something or others who claim god is female. Absolutely!!! She opened her big mouth and said let there be light and it all went down hill from there. And if those Michelangelo frescoes were correct then god sure had a wider load than I wanna see on a female god and Eve definitely should have been paired with an NFL linebacker instead of Adam.

If ya can't take my twisted humor you might try just going to the IRS web site for less spicy "entertainment."

Edited by RumRunner

It might be as simple as Leonardo adding something "cutsie" in the scene..

Didn't Mstar add a few harmless diversions in some of his stained glass works?

just a thought

Yes Ive added a few things for humor sake at times or other things that strike mw in the moment but Ive never added a complete homoerotic scene where the female is the devil. B eing the artist that he was imo this is being more than cutesie.This is a statement.

If their werent breasts and long hair on Eve she would barely be recognizable as a woman. There is no idealization of the feminine form. Michelangelo was too good with forms for that to be a mistake.

Though Eve is a woman, he seem to wish her into being a man--or at least very manly--His idea of paradise seems to be a gay romp in the garden which wasnt screwed up until that old devil--the woman--showed up.

I dont know--good pickup dooj

...I love the moon---now thats something I'd do

Mstar - I think Michelangelo just liked men better - plain and simple. Look at this painting of the holy family:

michelangelo-holy-family.jpg

*Note the men on the horizon...*

Now look at Eve's face.

michelangelo-eve-detail.jpg

Actually - I think Michelangelo really had a favorite model. Here's "David" :

michelangelo_david_2.jpg

Now - don't you think all those faces look about the same?

I dunno. Maybe Michelangelo decided to put his lover on public display in his art.

Or perhaps, Michelangelo was suggesting a threesome in Eden.

Edited by doojable

I've got no problem thinking that Michelangelo liked the looks of men better than women, and so painted what he liked.

I think that would be an easy case to make.

I've also got no problem imagining the devil to be female. I mean, geeze, that's a given, isn't it?

I've got no problem thinking that Michelangelo liked the looks of men better than women, and so painted what he liked.

I think that would be an easy case to make.

I've also got no problem imagining the devil to be female. I mean, geeze, that's a given, isn't it?

'Tis true, Geo. You are correct on both counts. It is a documented historical fact that Michelangelo was gay and as far as the devil being a female...I was married to her.

i wasn't going to get involved in this discussion because i had a feeling where it might be going, yegads you men! :rolleyes: but the idea of the "devil" being a woman might stem from the idea that eve "cursed" man, but come on! does anybody really think that it was all eve's fault, and does anybody really think that that story is literal, and does anybody that thinks that story is literal do they also think that maybe there is something wrong with the logic of a god that "created" a woman for the man as a help mate and to keep the man from being alone would also "create" that woman as the very "devil" that would undo that man? and if men think women are the "devil" then what does that say about the men that think that? i grew up hating being female because i was blamed for all the ills of all the worlds from here to eternity, and i wouldn't take that blame but my mom did and my sisters did and now one is dead and one is a cold witch to protective herself from men and one is an addict, so thanks but no thanks on the idea of the "devil" being a woman. of course i know you men are not being serious here, but i just had to say this stuff before it gets too out of hand on th women hating. thank you. :evildenk::biglaugh:

i grew up hating being female because i was blamed for all the ills of all the worlds from here to eternity, and i wouldn't take that blame but my mom did and my sisters did and now one is dead and one is a cold witch to protective herself from men and one is an addict, so thanks but no thanks on the idea of the "devil" being a woman. of course i know you men are not being serious here, but i just had to say this stuff before it gets too out of hand on th women hating. thank you.

Oh I don't think it will get out of hand. You will see that some of the most caustic posters about women above were also some of the most loquacious about supporting women in threads like "submission" etc. We don't hate you women at all. We just know you are the devil.

Oh I don't think it will get out of hand. You will see that some of the most caustic posters about women above were also some of the most loquacious about supporting women in threads like "submission" etc. We don't hate you women at all. We just know you are the devil.

no no no! that will not do! the "devil" is a minor deity. and do you see me stomping my foot to let you know you have to listen to me about this? :biglaugh:

i have to borrow from today's kids and just say "that's so gay", and that one line "she's gonna get you from behind" yeh, right, "she". which takes me back to the original discussion here and i hope the discussion starter isn't mad at us for getting so far away from the discussion. and mstar1 can you do that with the youtube waysider linked to because i can't for the life of me get youtube to work for me at all right now except here.

Dolly Parton Speaking of the Devil Lyrics:

He's got a way of walking he's got a way of talking

A way to fascinate me all the time

And he's got a way with women a way to keep my head a swimming

He's got a way too many times

Oh speaking of the devil well here he comes now

Looking like an angel got my defenses down

He's got me dreaming got me scheming

Ooh speaking of the devil he is driving me wild

With that wicked little grin and that fire in his eyes

He's got me dreaming got me scheming

Ooh speaking of the devil it feels mighty close to heaven

And I'd go through hell to make him mine

He's got his spell upon me got to be his one and only

Burning with passion and desire

Ooh I'm caught up in all his magic it surely would be tragic

To never share the heat in all his fire

Ooh speaking of the devil well here he comes now...

[guitar]

Ooh speaking of the devil well here he comes now...

Yes Ive added a few things for humor sake at times or other things that strike mw in the moment but Ive never added a complete homoerotic scene where the female is the devil. B eing the artist that he was imo this is being more than cutesie.This is a statement.

If their werent breasts and long hair on Eve she would barely be recognizable as a woman. There is no idealization of the feminine form. Michelangelo was too good with forms for that to be a mistake.

Though Eve is a woman, he seem to wish her into being a man--or at least very manly--His idea of paradise seems to be a gay romp in the garden which wasnt screwed up until that old devil--the woman--showed up.

I dont know--good pickup dooj

...I love the moon---now thats something I'd do

I thought so!!!

:biglaugh:

That's what I was thinking.. the mooning is pretty subtle, compared to the raw presentation of the other scenes you refer to..