GreaseSpot Cafe

Sistine Chapel oddity

doojable

Ok, so taking it back to the topic....

Is it just me or are the two people being cast out of the garden different than the two that are being tempted and is it my imagination or is Eve just plain UGLY in the cast out version or what?

Ok, so taking it back to the topic....

Is it just me or are the two people being cast out of the garden different than the two that are being tempted and is it my imagination or is Eve just plain UGLY in the cast out version or what?

I think she got hit with the ugly stick from the tree of knowledge obviously.

Temptation_and_Fall-Sistine_Chapel_Ceiling.jpg

Look closely at Eve as she and Adam are getting cast out of Eden. Her head isn't on straight! I mean that! It looks like someone took a colorform head (Yes I'm THAT old) and stuck it on a body.

Edited by doojable

I think the gray things next to the tip of its tail are roots of the tree.

I was always under the impression that Michaelangelo was gay. I remember a long time ago reading one of those fictional biography books; "The Agony and the Ecstasy"? Also he bootlegged corpses out of graveyards to dissect to learn anatomy; punishable by execution. That was a rumor, probably or fiction, but may have been true. I don't recall a lot of the book but I think they made a movie of it.

Even if it's true, he sure didn't study female anatomy.

And yep, Eve's face was definitely transferred from somewhere else.

I know I've heard that sin makes you ugly, but that's ridiculous. I think he may have used different models for the before and after.

He was known to paint faces of people he either liked or disliked, or even himself, into crowd scenes. In the "Last Judgment, some saint or other is shown holding his skin, having been martyred by flaying alive. The face of the saint is some enemy of Michaelangelo's while the face on the skin he is holding is that of the artist himself!

WG

It is a documented historical fact that Michelangelo was gay and as far as the devil being a female...I was married to her.

Was he! I never heard of that? How can anyone prove that? It was over 500 years ago. I know he was not married that does not mean he was gay.

Okay... whatever Michelangelo's sexual preferences, has anyone realized that this hangs in A CHURCH?!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread should not be focusing on Michelangelo's bedroom choices.

I don't recall reading anywhere that he caught any flack for these sexual sidenotes. (I'll look it up - but if anyone knows more about this, please feel free to jump in.) Hmmmm.. perhaps the religious leaders had no problem with his images... what a concept!

Oh and the dual tail on the serpent... I think it's the product of morphing two legs into a forked tail of sorts. Then again - it's ambiguous.

Edited by doojable

It is a documented historical fact that Michelangelo was gay and as far as the devil being a female...I was married to her.

Was he! I never heard of that? How can anyone prove that? It was over 500 years ago. I know he was not married that does not mean he was gay.

The proof is simple. There are little men who live in the ground. During the day they are talking about the coming night. At night they light their fires of coal and rat droppings. They stoke those fires with huge bellows until they are blazing hot. Then they put their daytime words into the fires and the bellows pushes their words up from the ground into your head where they become your thoughts.

The proof is simple. There are little men who live in the ground. During the day they are talking about the coming night. At night they light their fires of coal and rat droppings. They stoke those fires with huge bellows until they are blazing hot. Then they put their daytime words into the fires and the bellows pushes their words up from the ground into your head where they become your thoughts.

I think you been hanging out with Mr. Hammroni too much!

I think you been hanging out with Mr. Hammroni too much!

Naw - he gets his voices through the fillings in his teeth...and from aliens not from men under the ground. Where do your voices come from nyunknown? Please tell us.

In the Pieta the face is exquiste but notice that Mary is covered in richly draped clothing. The clothing is incredibly well done but it really does not distinguish the feminine form---other than the face we really would have no way of knowing if she was feminine or masculine.

On the otherhand Christ (the male) is again down to the barest stitch of clothing

In the Pieta the face is exquiste but notice that Mary is covered in richly draped clothing. The clothing is incredibly well done but it really does not distinguish the feminine form---other than the face we really would have no way of knowing if she was feminine or masculine.

On the otherhand Christ (the male) is again down to the barest stitch of clothing

That's true Mstar - but he must have known the female form because he's made it believable that Mary is woman - showing draped fabric believably is incredibly difficult.

his winkies are kinda stubby

could i get banned for that ?

Actually, that's very astute artistic observation.

Throughout various periods in art, large male genitalia was considered freakish and grotesque.

I suppose a more recent counterpart that would illustrate this attitude would be the flapper era of the 1920's, when large breasts were considered passe and unattractive. Women wore special clothing to make themselves appear flat chested and shapeless.

1930s%20Fannie%20the%20Flapper%202.jpg

...Throughout various periods in art, large male genitalia was considered freakish and grotesque...

…guess male strippers weren't so competitive back then.

Naw - he gets his voices through the fillings in his teeth...and from aliens not from men under the ground. Where do your voices come from nyunknown? Please tell us.

From the force itself! If Mr. Lucas live long enough and does another 3 movies about how the jedi order was restored. I Have tried to contact Michangelo if he was gay or not he won't tell me! :biglaugh:

She doesn't seem to have man hands either. I think Mikey new the forms well enough but for some reason decided in the painting to make 'the woman' in the strange shape or rather shapes that he did. Wasn't he known for being a bit of a prankster? Perhaps this 'Eve' was a model friend that was also a cross dresser or a Queen. That would make for a rather funny inside joke especially considering that this painting is in a church.

As for the Eve in sin, you're right her head is on funky...I always thought that it was just me seeing that oddity. (Thinking that perhaps I didnt understand the artistic nature of the piece). Is this another example of his sense of humor?

Waysider said:

Women wore special clothing to make themselves appear flat chested and shapeless.

And by the time I got to junior high, we stuffed Kleenex in our bras to make ourselves appear not flat-chested and shapeless! Funny how fashions change...LOL

Seriously, though, back to the topic...I think the article dooj posted the link to is very telling. It sounds like Michaelangelo was more comfortable with sculpting than with painting, and it appears to me that he sculpted the Pieta during a happier (or at least less unhappy) time of his life than when he painted the Sistine chapel. Plus, he was getting pressured by the Catholic powers-that-were to hurry up and finish it, so maybe some of the more grotesque features of the painting were done purposely, as a Renaissance-era version of the one-finger salute. :D

Or then again, maybe he liked women in his youth and grew to dislike them as he got older. We may never know, but it certainly is interesting to ponder all this!