GreaseSpot Cafe

Anyone dealt with this?

Ductape

Kids favorite Auntie was killed in car crash in Ireland. Anyone have an idea as to how long it will take to return the remains? Their Mother is making arrangements; but is having a terrible time as can be imagined. No one seems to have answers as when plans might be made so they can take time off work and school. I have been unsuccessful finding useful information via my feable searches.

Thanks

ohmygod ductape i am so very very sorry, i don't know what to say

i don't have an answer, i'm sorry

The US Embassy is in Dublin, Ireland, and has a website

they are closed tomorrow for an irish public holiday :(

--

http://contact-us.state.gov/cgi-bin/state....ser/std_alp.php

U.S. Department of State. see contacts on left and hotline numbers, etc.

best of luck

I am so sorry.

This may not help, but in April my "sister-in-law" drowned in Hawaii. She and my brother-in law were together 30 years, but it was a Common Law marriage.

It took close to a week to get her home. Hawaii does not recognize Common Law marriage.

In the end we had to have her cousin come help with the red tape so that we could get her back to MN. My brother-in-law had no say. . . he was not considered next of kin.

It was just another state. . . not country, but it will probably take a few days to a week.

Someone may have to go to Ireland to accompany the body.

We had Chris (Sister-in-law) cremated. It was headache on top of heartache.

The state required an autopsy.

You have to abide by the rules Ireland has set up for such cases. . . the US Embassy can help. They are pretty good about things like that.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks all;

Next of kin (my children's mother) was notified Friday; soon after the State Dept was contacted to find out with time difference anything in Ireland was closed and it will be Tuesday before offices are open again.

She left a will, locked up in a safe deposit box making her sister executor. They will have to hire a lawyer and get a court order to get the will; it was made online, printed and then locked up.

Once all the legal stuff is in order and her remains can be cremated as she wished; then that can be returned. The best time frame my adult children can get is 2 to 3 weeks minimum. This is adding a great amount of frustration to all on top of the loss.

I never was close and only saw this lady a half dozen times; but she was very good to my children and they were all close.

Ductape and Geisha, very sorry to hear of the loss of these people, specially you, Geisha.

:offtopic:

This is off topic, but I'd really just like to remind readers of the importance of making a will, ESPECIALLY if you are not married to the person you are living with (as Geisha mentions). Few countries recognise living together as "marriage" and afford few rights to long-term lovers and "step children" - a partner's kids that may have raised by the deceased but where there is no legal responsibility.

So on top of the loss of a lover/partner or "parent" there may also be the loss of a home if it was in the deceased's name; the break-up of a secure family unit; and in any event significant other legal difficulties.

The surviving partner can be appointed as executor (and perhaps guardian of any minor chidren - beware of conflict with surviving natural parents), and given a certified copy of the will. This may help to overcome some of the difficulties.

And when you make a will, review it after significant changes (like the breakup of the cohabiting relationship!!)

Looks like it will be about 3 weeks; a co-workers grandfather died in Sicily on vacation about 2 years ago. He was with wife and many family members and they had will in hand. Law prevented them from cremating and returning the ashes, foreigners must be embalmed and shipped whole by their law. Not sure if Irish law is the same.

This is from the U.S. State Department

OVERSEAS CITIZENS SERVICES: Call 1-888-407-4747 for answers related to questions concerning the:

Death of an American citizen abroad

Also --

Embassies in the Republic of Ireland

United States Embassy - 01 668 8777

CALL

love,ex

Memorial will be the 13th; Ireland was quite accommodating to Aunties survivors allowing cremation and then ashes shipped back. But; no will to be found anywhere so battle lines are being drawn and even the mother of her only nephew and nieces has shown favorites and excluded a loved step child.

I hate this stuff; it ruined my father with the equal dividing of my grandparents' estate. Dad got all the work and all the siblings enjoyed the fruit of his labor. Wills are not binding if next of kin decide to contest them…….

Exie :wub: :wub: :wub: