GreaseSpot Cafe

and tongues shall cease---

waysider

I wonder if anyone who ever read RTHST spoke in tongues - without making Jesus their lord.

I mean - there's nothing compelling in that book that would convince anyone to accept JC as lord. The book assumes that it's audience is already Christian.

NOW - if anyone can say they SITed without making Jesus lord - now you have a hole in the theory.

NOW - you would have more proof that what twi taught was bogus.

And you know how holes are... once you get one started, it tends to get bigger.

Once again, I'm not saying that SIT is wrong or incorrect. I'm saying that what twi taught was most likely wrong.

And the argument that goes, "I know it right because I SIT and I know it's authentic because I can feel it,' is too pathetic to address.

Edited by doojable
  • Upvote 1

NOW - if anyone can say they SITed without making Jesus lord - now you have a hole in the theory.

Once again, I'm not saying that SIT is wrong or incorrect. I'm saying that what twi taught was most likely wrong.

Exactly!

People were practicing glossolalia long before Jesus was ever born.

Hence, they could not have "made Jesus Lord".

Wierwille latched onto the old glossolalia movement that was re-energized in the early twentieth century and said, "Oh, look, keeds, this MUST be what the Bible is talking about when it refers to speaking in tongues." Toss in a smattering of very "privately interpreted" scriptures and BINGO!, you're going to heaven and all hell can't stop you! Does this mean that the Jews and pagans who practiced glossolalia (which is what we called SIT) before Christ's time are going to heaven, too? We really have no way that I am aware of to know what the Bible is referencing when it talks about speaking in tongues. I'm pretty sure, though, that it's not some process you are required to partake of on a daily (and excessive) basis before you can any hope of having a spiritual connection to God.

I wonder if anyone who ever read RTHST spoke in tongues - without making Jesus their lord.

I mean - there's nothing compelling in that book that would convince anyone to accept JC as lord. The book assumes that it's audience is already Christian.

And the argument that goes, "I know it right because I SIT and I know it's authentic because I can feel it,' is too pathetic to address.

I really have to agree with this statement and kinda wish I had said it. I did "SIT" before I even took the class. . . just reading RTHST . . . . I didn't fake it. I STILL believe it is bogus.

I am pretty sure I was never truly born again in TWI.

I have no idea what it was I was doing, but I think glossolalia is an apt description.

Sure don't do it anymore and I have a better relationship with the Lord now. . . . than when I would SIT all the time. I kinda think it was mind numbing and used more as a mantra than anything else.

Please know, I am not trying to disparage anyones experience and am speaking only from my personal understanding. But, when we reason it through. We were not in a nice Christian group with an actual Christian man teaching us. :(

Just my opinion.

doojable, i'm not commenting on your expressed post,

but the idea of making accepting or some will to submit.

If there is a Lord then there is a Lord.

If I don't make, accept or submit-

does that change the fact any?

Would This Jesus Christ not be Lord if I choose?

Hence overthrowing said lordship by my will.

Consider this as a twist:

Perhaps, had we not become so enamored and defensive of glossolalia, we might have embarked on a quest to uncover the true meaning of Paul's words, "I would that you all spoke with tongues."

I think being able to SIT allowed us to claim that we were back to where the 12 apostles were.

Which, if you think about it, was dazed and confused.

Edited by doojable

Consider this as a twist:

Perhaps, had we not become so enamored and defensive of glossolalia, we might have embarked on a quest to uncover the true meaning of Paul's words, "I would that you all spoke with tongues."

HMMMMM Interesting Point!