GreaseSpot Cafe

Easy Movie Quotes

8 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

In Spanish, Casa Blanca is White House.

George

Ah, the writing on the wall then, so to speak.  Thanks George.  How's that for a diatribe?  Thanks again WordWolf, I learned something I didn't know, even it was just Spanish.  And I think it's been no secret as I've alluded to this from time to time that I don't consider myself particularly academic, and there are so many things that I'm still learning that I don't know about, most assuredly the result of my lack of applying myself at a younger age, and as a result now, I've become somewhat (no, not somewhat but) I am now an Opsimath who's trying to learn some things I should have picked up on earlier but didn't.  

You guys are great.  Thank you for the listen.

Edited by Human without the bean

BTW, in English, we usually put the adjective before the noun it describes, and in Spanish they usually put the adjective AFTER the noun it describes.  So, when translating, you swap the positions.

Example:  Ricky Martin sang "Livin' La Vida Loca."  Word for word, "the life crazy." However, it's translated "the crazy life"- and he even includes that line early in the song in English. "She'll make you live the crazy life..."

So, the President's office in Argentina is called "La Casa Rosada", which would be translated "The Pink House" and not "The House Pink" because that would be ungrammatical.

The movie "Casablanca" has, literally "House white" but would be translated "White House".  The US President's residence and office are "The White House" of course, and in Spanish, it's "La Casa Blanca."

I've heard people speak Spanish and put the adjective before the noun like in English- but in those cases, they were people who spoke a lot of English and "Spanglish" as well, so, that's not exactly a "pure" Spanish as much as an English-influenced phrasing.