GreaseSpot Cafe

G O D SPELLZ GAWD

crystalclearblue

On another thread we talked about how embarrassing it was to go Christmas Carrolling and change the words to waylingo. I was driving today and I thought of that song, G B wunderfull Gawd. At the end people would harmonize and sing G O D spellz Gawd.

That really annoyed me.

I still got annoyed today just thinking about it. It was so mindless. :wacko:

• Upvote 1

I've always liked that song. Though I think of it more as a kids song. But we do have a great big wonderful God and I've always liked songs that remind me of that. Though I always ended with "Great big wonderful God." That's how I learned it. Somewhere it changed to the "G. O. D. spells God"

Edited by Keith

I've always liked that song. Though I think of it more as a kids song. But we do have a great big wonderful God and I've always liked songs that remind me of that. Though I always ended with "Great big wonderful God." That's how I learned it. Somewhere it changed to the "G. O. D. spells God"

Yeah, the words probably should have been inspiring enough for me to ignore the spelling lesson at the end. But I always found myself thinking, "oh yeah? Well then D O G spells Dawg, C A T spells cat, H A T spells hat.....LA LA LA LA LA,,,,,,So mindless. :doh:

I thought it was just to go along with the style of song that it was. .. kind of show tune-esk. Growing up that was one of the more enjoyable songs sung. As a kid I always liked the fun additions to songs people did in "twig" but in the late 90's even that was cracked down on, from what I heard it was more because Mrs. Owens didn't like people doing it. Anyway, I always thought everyone should throw their arms out and jump out on one foot and sing "YEAH" at the end of that song.

:drink: why, honey child, Vic was pronouncing it as it is here in da south, especially in the Appylatchchins, peedmont, and down in Ms. sippee and Allahbamma way :biglaugh: yall go back here, won't ya. Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Actually, it changed to "G.O.D. spells Gaaawd."

Depends on the local accent, I guess. I rarely heard people pronounce it GAWD in New York, California, Chicago, or Rhode Island. And like Keith I most often heard it end with "Great big wonderful God" anyway. The spelling thing was kind of dumb but it didn't annoy me.

However, I HAVE seen many a poster here WRITE "Gawd" instead of "God" which I never understood. Same with "debbil" for devil, and "da verd" for the Word. Once in a while might be funny but I've seen these so often they've become lame cliches in my mind. But that's just me.

The idea here, I think, is that people started mimicking everything Wierwille did, right down to his gestures, facial expressions and quirky pronunciations. -----That's Riiiiiight!

You're right; I just didn't hear it done with that particular song in the areas I was in. But there were several of his other mannerisms that we imitated. I still catch myself doing it occasionally - and it's creepy!