GreaseSpot Cafe

The Power of Prayer

Rejoice

A very brave woman.

And a very sad young man. Foolish, but brave in his way. Knew he was doing wrong, and turned himself in. He doesn't need a prison sentence, he needs a job and helping to live a normal life in society. Enabled to go his way and sin no more.

I saw the bit on Oprah about this guy. The week before he attempted to rob this lady he had robbed someone else, again, using a firearm.

His reason for resorting to robbery was that he'd lost his job over a year ago when his driver's license was suspended. I don't know why that happened, but I do know it was not for being an exceptional driver.

This man has problems that he needs to deal with - absolutely. I pray he gets good counseling and can turn his life around.

He has not worked for over a year - that's a mighty long time for an able-bodied man who says he wants to provide for his family. His girlfriend (mother of his 2-year-old daughter) has been supporting him all this time.

I don't think he needs as severe a punishment for this attempted robbery as he does for the actual robbery last week that he admitted to on Oprah, but I think he needs to do some time for walking into a place of business with a loaded weapon and threatening to use it at all.

I'm delighted that he changed his mind midway, but he went in there with a premeditated plan. No doubt about it. I'm happy for the lady that she was able to help him see reason. I'm sure they'll be lifelong friends and that's lovely.

I do not want to see this horrific behavior rationalized or "forgiven" because he changed his mind midway, regardless of why he changed it. Had this been his very first incident with a gun and with scaring the tar out of another human being, maybe. But this is at least his second offense.

I think it'd be interesting to see just why his driver's license was suspended. Seems to me this guy's been making really poor choices for a long time and it always catches up with ya - maybe not the first go 'round.

Another thought I had was that on Oprah his girlfriend was talking about him driving her to work and picking her up - seems he's driving on a suspended license. I don't know. Maybe he's resolved that issue, but this guy sounds to me to be in serious need of a timeout.