GreaseSpot Cafe

Bible and I-ching

I read the "rock of ages" and "The book of changes". Even Richard Wilhem quoted the Bible to make it more clear the meaning of the Hexagrams when he translated the Ancient Chinese text into German,then later into english by carey f. baynes. I fell it makes be a better christian. I used this in my life a few years ago and I still use it now when I need too. Hexagram 33 Tun / Retreat page 129 to130 The power of the dark is ascending. The light retreats to security, so that dark cannot encrouch upon it. This retreat is not of man's will but of natural law. Therefore in this case withdrawal is proper; it is the correct to behave in order not to exhaust one's forces. (1) conditions are such that the hostel forces favored by the time are advancing. In this case retreat is the right course; and it is through retreat that success is achieved. But success consisits in being able to carry out the retreat correctly. Retreat is is not to be confused with flight. Flight means saving oneself under ant circumstances, whereas retreat is a sign of strenght. We must be careful not to miss the right moment while we are in full possession of power and position. Then we shall be able to interpret the signs of the times before it is too late and to prepare for the provisional retreat instead of being drawn into a desperate life and death struggle. Thus we do not simply abandom the field to the opponent; we make it difficult for him to advance bt showing perserverance in single ascts of resistance. In this way we prepare, while retreating , fot the countermovment. Understanding the laws of a constructive retreat od this sort is not easy. The meaning that lies hidden in such a time is important.

(1) The idea expressed by this hexagram is similar to that in the saying of Jesus" But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil." Matt. 5; 39.

I doubt you'll find many here who read I Ching during their TWI years. That sort of thing was considered to be a "counterfeit from the pit of hell". Reading that sort of thing was thought to be an invitation to the devil to sneak in through the trap door of your unrenewed mind. (Fallacious Spirit)

Edited by waysider

I read the "rock of ages" and "The book of changes". Even Richard Wilhem quoted the Bible to make it more clear the meaning of the Hexagrams when he translated the Ancient Chinese text into German,then later into english by carey f. baynes. I fell it makes be a better christian. I used this in my life a few years ago and I still use it now when I need too. Hexagram 33 Tun / Retreat page 129 to130 The power of the dark is ascending. The light retreats to security, so that dark cannot encrouch upon it. This retreat is not of man's will but of natural law. Therefore in this case withdrawal is proper; it is the correct to behave in order not to exhaust one's forces. (1) conditions are such that the hostel forces favored by the time are advancing. In this case retreat is the right course; and it is through retreat that success is achieved. But success consisits in being able to carry out the retreat correctly. Retreat is is not to be confused with flight. Flight means saving oneself under ant circumstances, whereas retreat is a sign of strenght. We must be careful not to miss the right moment while we are in full possession of power and position. Then we shall be able to interpret the signs of the times before it is too late and to prepare for the provisional retreat instead of being drawn into a desperate life and death struggle. Thus we do not simply abandom the field to the opponent; we make it difficult for him to advance bt showing perserverance in single ascts of resistance. In this way we prepare, while retreating , fot the countermovment. Understanding the laws of a constructive retreat od this sort is not easy. The meaning that lies hidden in such a time is important.

(1) The idea expressed by this hexagram is similar to that in the saying of Jesus" But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil." Matt. 5; 39.

Very interesting..

The light retreats to security, so that dark cannot encrouch upon it. This retreat is not of man's will but of natural law. Therefore in this case withdrawal is proper; it is the correct to behave in order not to exhaust one's forces. (1) conditions are such that the hostel forces favored by the time are advancing. In this case retreat is the right course; and it is through retreat that success is achieved.

generally, I think the light shows itself first.. it has to.. I don't know if I would agree that withdrawal is "proper".. more than necessary..

I doubt you'll find many here who read I Ching during their TWI years. That sort of thing was considered to be a "counterfeit from the pit of hell". Reading that sort of thing was thought to be an invitation to the devil to sneak in through the trap door of your unrenewed mind. (Fallacious Spirit)

I do not doubt you about that. I believe there are over 5000 members here. I am posting and writing what is important to me. Well I tell you one thing if it was not for the I-ching I saved myself and my sister from a harmful situation by" recongnizing the sign of the times" Anyone is free to comment about it. I am posting what is dear to my heart. I do not need retomemories to make me fell better.

generally, I think the light shows itself first.. it has to.. I don't know if I would agree that withdrawal is "proper".. more than necessary..

Well have you ever seen the tv series "shogun" by james calvell? It was based a fictional story based on fact lord toranaga was praised many time by his mentor for knowing when to fight and when not to.

Here is another one for you on page 131 same hexagram. When it is time to retreat it is both unpleasent and dangerious to be held back, because then one no longer has freedown of action. In such a case the only expedient is to take into one's service, so to speak. thoses who refuse to let one go, so that at leastkeeeps one's initative and not fall helplessly under their domination. But even with this expedient the situation is far from satisfactory-from what can one hope to accomplish with such servants?

another one from page 132 In retreating the superior man is intent taking his departture willing and in all friendlness. He easily adjusts his mind to retreat, because he does not have to do violence to his convictions. The only who who suffers iss the inferior man from who he retreats, who will degenerate when deprived of the guidence of the superior man.

This I used in on 10/27/06 and it worked out perfectly for me and my sister. On page 132 same hexagram. the situation is unequivocal. Inner detachement has become an established fact, and we are at liberty to depart. When one sees the way ahead thus clearly, free of all doubt. a cheeful mood sets in, and one chooses what is righr without futher thought. such a clear path ahead always lead to thr good. Any lukers or trolls wanna comment?

I studied the I Ching as a teenager (before TWI) and found it to be fascinating, and pretty dead-on. I haven't looked into it since then.

I wish I studied it when I was a teenager! The "tao" Religion is based on the I-Ching. maybe some people may have seen "Dark shadows" the gothic soap opera. There was a story going back in time with barnabus collins. But that was all hocus pocus nonsence.

"Bible and I-Ching"

I was looking forward to seeing something of a connect here with the thread being called "Bible and I-Ching." All I see is a similarity of the expression of an idea. That's okay, I guess - you didn't promise more.

I think that the foundations of I-Ching (read about it & used it once - obviously not an expert) is sound - that the state of the energies acting in the Universe at a given moment affects our lives. I don't think we are restricted to the effects of those realities. Any of us. Especially those of us who, in the field of play, can access the power of the already glorified (operating from a place above & beyond those limitations).

Tom