GreaseSpot Cafe

Windows 7

Watered Garden

I put this up here in "General" in the hopes that someone will see it quicker than down in the computer stuff.

I have been using Vista for over a year and I think it sucks like an open chest wound. I have created, saved, proofread, spell-checked and stored documents that completely disappear, it doesn't interface well with older versions of Windows, and is generally a PIA. We are considering budgeting to purchase Windows 7, and I wondered if anyone here had it and what do you think of it, especially in comparison to Vista?

Thanks,

WG

Thank you very much; I'll await your evaluation.

It was already in our new computer. The school where Mr. Garden teaches still uses XP and he likes it better than Vista.

The files that disappeared were named and saved upon their creation and after every letter I typed, I saved again. We have run search after search after search and nothing shows up.

I am singularly unimpressed with Vista.

WG

So far I've had no major issues with W7. The GUI has a decidedly MacOS-X look and feel...in fact almost indistinguishable - however you can opt for the XP type interface if you want. If you plan on using MS Office you should wait just a bit for the new Office 2010 release to come out. 2003/2007 both run but seem a bit clunky.

No wonder I prefer Linux and OpenOffice....just not the same issues that MS seems to always bring to the dinner table uninvited.

Unfortunately, I have to use Windows etc because of my job. All the physicians' offices and hospitals in central Ohio seem to require it, along with Times Roman 12 font. The individuals I've typed for so far all have 97-2003 so I have to save every document as that format.

It's the sudden appearance/disappearance of stuff that bugs me. Especially when I've transcribed half a dozen letters in a named/saved document, check it, save it again, and close it and it simply disappears. This is a year old computer and I've been keeping the word stuff that saved cleaned out pretty well. So where it goes, who knows?

Just hope the gremlins of hyperspace like reading about colonoscopies!

WG

Unfortunately, I have to use Windows etc because of my job. All the physicians' offices and hospitals in central Ohio seem to require it, along with Times Roman 12 font. The individuals I've typed for so far all have 97-2003 so I have to save every document as that format.

It's the sudden appearance/disappearance of stuff that bugs me. Especially when I've transcribed half a dozen letters in a named/saved document, check it, save it again, and close it and it simply disappears. This is a year old computer and I've been keeping the word stuff that saved cleaned out pretty well. So where it goes, who knows?

Just hope the gremlins of hyperspace like reading about colonoscopies!

WG

WG,

If you are dealing with Microsoft Office with your physicians, you can do it on a Mac. The Mac Microsoft Office interacts fine with docs from a PC.

WG,

If you are dealing with Microsoft Office with your physicians, you can do it on a Mac. The Mac Microsoft Office interacts fine with docs from a PC.

Ummm - go download OpenOffice 3.X - you don't have to replace MS office - just download it and try it...you might be pleasantly surprised

I ran into Open Office and since I found it I love it. It is everything the big brand name is but costs nothing. It is upgraded frequently and has a very short smooth learning curve.

RumRunner's suggestions need no seconding, I am just another very satisfied user. It will cost nothing to try it, and if it works for you, you'll save bundles on forthcoming Windoz upgrades.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7, and I am very impressed with it. I've never used Vista (due to all the problems I have heard about it, so I waited till 7), but from what I've seen, it is something that Vista should have been in the first place.

Heck, I've been testing/using it since it's beta release, and it operated _solidly_.

The only main thing that I have against it is apparently, the more apps and add-ons you put on it, the slower it eventually gets. But overall, it is a definite improvement over Vista, and in a good number of ways, over XP.

• 3 weeks later...