GreaseSpot Cafe

Isaiah 49:16

I don't expect this to "rock anyone's world" nor do I think this post is going to last very long. Do you remember this teaching from "The Blue Book"?

Behold I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; they walls are continually before me.Isaiah 49:16

The teaching was that the word "graven" meant "tatoo". VPW further commented that one never saw anyone with a tatoo on their palms. He said the reason no one did this is that there were too many nerve endings in the human palms and that having a tatoo there would be too painful and that no human could stand it.

But God, said Wierwille, loved us so much that He was willing to undergo the pain of having our names tatooed on His palms so that he would always have our names in front of him. Not on his arm that could be covered up by a sleeve, but always in front of Him.

The teaching may be accurate as far as God always having us in mind. But the tatoo/pain thing was wrong. More than 30 years after reading this I talked to a tatoo "artist" and asked him why people didn't get tatoos on their palms. His answer was that of all parts of the body, the skin on one's palms replaces itself much faster and more frequently. Moreover, since we use our hands so much, skin is constantly being rubbed off. This man told me that a tatoo on a palm would only last 3 months or so. In other words people didn't get tatoos on their palms because it would be a waste of money. He also went on to say that Sandra Bullock's boyfriend, Jesse James, got a tatoo on his palms that contained obscenities. According to him, the tatoos were unreadable in about 4 months. Maybe I never asked before now because I didn't want to take the risk that the man to whom God was giving the greatest revelation on God's Word since the first century would be wrong.

Anyway, like I said, not earth shattering or life-changing. Just one more thing to add to the pile.

I met a woman recently of Middle Eastern ethnicity. She, indeed, had tattoos on the entirety of both her palms. They were very intricate. At first glance, I thought she had some sort of medical condition. (I didn't want to let my eyes linger too long.) I suspect there was some spiritual relevance to them. I was not in a situation where I could ask questions. I have no idea what expectations she had for their longevity. I immediately, upon realizing that what I was seeing was tattoos, thought of that VPW interpretation of tattooed palms. She was a rather frail lady, not someone you would think of as enduring excruciating pain.

Edited by waysider

For what it's worth, from WikiAnswers:

Tattoo in Palm of Hand

Anything can be tattooed. Just if you get it you won't be able to use that hand for awhile and you really need to be careful to keep it clean so you don't get an infection.

It wouldn't last either--the palm is worked frequently, so you'd wind up driving most of the ink out of it.

And there were a few other sites with similar answers.

Good question, I never thought about it before.

Hindu women have temporary intricate henna tattoos applied to their hands(palms included) for their weddings and special occasions. . . . Really beautiful artwork. . . . called Mehendi

Edited by geisha779