GreaseSpot Cafe

Figures of Speech

Applied to words, a figure denotes some form which a word or sentence takes, different from its ordinary and natural form. This is always for the purpose of giving additional force, more life, intensified feeling, and greater emphasis. Whereas to-day "Figurative Language" is ignorantly spoken of as though it made less of the meaning, and deprived the words of their power and force. A passage of God's word is quoted; and is met with the cry,"Oh, that is figurative"--implying that its meaning is weakened, or that it has quite a different meaning, or that it has no meaning at all. But the opposite is the case. For an unusual form (figura) is never used except to add force to the truth conveyed, emphasis to the statement of it, and depth to the meaning of it. When we apply this science then to God's words and Divine truths, we see at once that no branch of Bible study can be more important, or offer greater promise of substantial reward.

It lies at the very root of all translation; and is the key to true interpretation...

Source:

Figures of Speech Used in the Bible (Explained and Illustrated)-----E.W. Bullimger

God first

thanks waysider

yes figure of Speech

did you known God is the biggest figure of Speech

God being human form makes the biggest figure of Speech and to the point figure of Speech in all the books about God

with love and a holy kiss Roy

The figures of speech in the Bible from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation22:21 are God's markings in The Word as to that which He wants emphasized.

A figure of speech is not something to be guessed about. Figures of speech are legitimate grammatical usages which depart from literal language to call attention to themselves. etc., etc., etc.

---when a word or words fail to be true to fact, they are figures of speech. Figures of speech have a God-designed emphasis which must be grasped and understood in order to fully obtain the impact of The Word. etc., etc., etc.

There are 212 figures of speech used in the Bible. As far as I can calculate, throughout history there must have been approximately 220 different figures of speech. Two hundred twelve of these are used in the Bibl; sometimes there are as many as 40 variations of one figure. etc., etc., etc.

Source: PFAL ("Orange Book"), pages 70, 71. .......V.P. Wierwille

Thanks, Roy.

Yes, "condesensio", the figure that has God, a spirit, taking on human qualities, was one of the examples VPW used in the class. (Ex. God "breathed".)

For those not familiar with this concept, I offer another simple example----"syndeton", the use of connectors.

According to Wierwille, a list of items with a connector between each item, signified that each item was of equal importance. In contrast, he said, a list of items that lacked connectors signified that each item was of less importance that the point of the list in its entirety. (Ex. The fruit of the spirit----love, joy, peace etc.----against such there is no law.)

Edited by waysider

Wierwille goes on to say-----in the Word of God, figures of speech are used with divine design. Each and every one of them may be accurately catalogued and analyzed with precision. Except for figures of speech and Oriental customs and mannerisms, The Word is literal.

(In my opinion, a "fundamentalist/innerancy" mindset is prerequisite to accepting this premise.)

God first

thanks everybody

I want to add something a lot might want to hear

There are context of words and contexts of the whole written word and context of what is not wrote down

there where something is wrote and where not wrote and face value of something

like saying the wheel was round and saying the wheel was not round and like saying the wheel seem round

figure of Speech is only one way God sets things in the open to be seem, read, feel, smell, or tasted

Edited by year2027

More often than not, when I'm reading Bullinger I feel like I'm getting more of a lesson on Greek, Hebrew, linguistics or numerology than a lesson on the bible itself.

I've said this before: as intelligent and knowledgeable as Bullinger is, I can't place a lot of credibility in someone who squeezes out "six denials" and "four crucified."

Also, I find it hard to believe that God would not have foreseen that most humans are unwilling or incapable of approaching scripture as if it were some ancient puzzle. No, I think God made the stories simple enough so that the common man would be able to understand the message.

Incidentally (and this concerns the reason you started this thread), it's becoming aparent to me that many priests, ministers and rabbis do not read the creation story literally. Which is kind of a load off my chest because, reading other, more conservative bible forums, I was getting the impression that I was headed for the lake of fire if I didn't believe that Noah saved every species of animal on earth.

:)

Edited by soul searcher

Ancient and Present, many are still puzzled.

So it has to be simple right?

I believe so.

A simple puzzle or riddle even.

See anything appear?

Not by your work but by it being shown to you.

By people? No, tried that.

Though some people's words stir entirely new thoughts.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that, in The Way, we were so conditioned to exalt the so-called importance of figures of speech, we became easy targets for manipulation.

"Thou shalt not commit adultery? Oh, that's a figure of speech. It's really talking about spiritual adultery. Of course, when you reach a higher level of spiritual maturity, you will understand that."

Edited by waysider

"Thou shalt not commit adultery? Oh, that's a figure of speech. It's really talking about spiritual adultery. Of course, when you reach a higher level of spiritual maturity, you will understand that."

Ha ha! That's a good one.

It probably would be funny if it was an exaggeration-----but it's not. :(

Well, adultery isn't something that my friend either learned or internalized at TWI. In fact she was against it. If she had a more liberal attitude towards adultery than she does -- well, let's just say I'd be a happier guy right now. (More sinful and bound for gravedom, perhaps but yeah, happier.)

edited for clarity

Edited by soul searcher

I've taken this a bit off track. I used adultery as an example because it demonstrates how so many things in The Way had more than one meaning and the "deeper" ones were reserved for "the more spiritual." Just to be clear on this, accepting that adultery had another, deeper meaning did not necessarily mean that one endorsed the more carnal version with which we are familiar. That, apparently, was reserved for the more fully initiated.

Returning to the topic of figures of speech, I find myself wondering if the fascination with the subject wasn't simply imposed hyperbole. Yes, there are figures of speech in the Bible. But all sorts of literature contains figures of speech. Do "f.o.s." really inject some sort of mystic, multi-layered meaning into the scriptures? Bullinger seemed to think so. But, remember, Bullinger was wrong about lots of things, not the least of which were the "4 crucified" and "6 denials" concepts. Fast forward. Some 60 or 70 years later, Wierwille absconded Bullinger's work and claimed God taught it to him. This claim, also, has suffered greatly in regard to credibility. So here we have basically taken the word of two dubious proponents that figures of speech were built into the Bible by Divine design and that they greatly intensify and diversify the face value of the text.

Jesus spoke in parables. Lots of people speak in parables. According to Wierwille, Jesus spoke in parables because the people of that time were not born-again and thus could not understand spiritual matters. But, we, being born again, could now use our holy spirit to understand the deeper spiritual meanings of the parables.

Looking for hidden meanings, thinking we were special because we could decipher the deeper spiritual nuances, feeling smug because we knew the REAL truth of what The Word was saying.

In my opinion, it was hype.

Edited by waysider

Come now, Waysider.......

Even a counterfeit has to contain at least "some truth".......... oooooohhhhhhhh, eeewwwwww, aaaahhhhhhhh!

Well,...

Some figures are meant to draw attention, and mark out what is important, Like Asterisms,.... Behold! the Glory of the Lord! where the word "Behold" is meant to draw attention to the importance of the thing said. That one's rather obvious....

But do I think that Human nature can creep in and begin to make people think they can play games with all this,...

Oh yes, you betcha I do!

Let's take this one, for example:

Syndeton: (The uses of connectors)

Polysyndeton (Use of multiple connectors)

According to both Bullinger and Wierwille, this figure is used to indicate that several listed items carry equal levels of importance. (This and that and those and the other thing)

Asyndeton: Omittance of connectors

Supposedly, this one is used to indicate that the individual items of a list are less important than the conclusion or point they lead to.

These are valid figures of speech. No question about it.

Why does that, in and of itself, prove that God deliberately inserted them into the scriptures like some sort of Davinci Code? If the men who penned the scriptures used figures in their everyday vocabulary, wouldn't it stand to reason they would make use of them in their writings?

Yeah,.... So if you use a few, many or no connectors it's a figure of speech, well kiddies,... that just about covers any verse!

Yeah it's silly, but there's a point in that statement.

God first

thanks everybody

why does everything has to have an point?

To hear from the inside out is Manifestation of sound

To smell from the inside out is Manifestation of odors

To taste from the inside out is Manifestation of flavors

To touch from the inside out is Manifestation of feeling

To see from the inside out is Manifestation of sight

To think from the inside out is Manifestation of thought

To image from the inside out is Manifestation of ideals

there are endless senses ways we receive something

Edited by year2027