GreaseSpot Cafe

Any GOOD Christian youth camps out there?

GeorgeStGeorge

A young man in my fellowship has shown interest in doing a S.O.W.E.R.S. stint. I have no personal acquaintance with the program, though there has been enough press here at Greasespot that I cautioned him against it. Our local leader couldn't advise him one way or the other, because he didn't have enough information. The young man asked me if I knew of any alternatives. There have been a few people from our area who have gone to Idaho for D@N@ Armstrong's program, and were happy with it. Are there any other programs out there that I could recommend? Obviously, they don't have to be TWI-derived (in fact, it's probably better if they aren't); but something with a strong Trinitarian bent won't work either.

Any ideas?

George

Im not particularly a christian, or a youth, or even good for that matter BUT I have heard nothing but good, sometimes glowing things from people that I implicitly trust aboutKanuga in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina whether for Adult Retreats or Youth Camps.

It is run by Episcopalians, who I personally have always found to be more sound than TWI related christianity but it is open to all

Both my kids went to a Christian Camp here(close to Mstar) every summer and my son still goes and works the camps. How far does he want to travel? How old is he?

Does he like contemporary Christian music? My son made a fun promo with some well known artists he knows. The kids love it.

It is a Christian camp, trinitarian I guess, but they don't run around talking about that....so it might be okay. If I can help let me know. It was one of the best thing I did for my kids growing up....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Both my kids went to a Christian Camp here(close to Mstar) every summer and my son still goes and works the camps. How far does he want to travel? How old is he?

Does he like contemporary Christian music? My son made a fun promo with some well known artists he knows. The kids love it.

It is a Christian camp, trinitarian I guess, but they don't run around talking about that....so it might be okay. If I can help let me know. It was one of the best thing I did for my kids growing up....

He's about 18. Since he was planning to go to Ohio from Houston, I don't think that distance (at least within the continental US) is a problem. He's just looking for a chance to grow spiritually before (I assume) college.

What's the name of the camp?

George

He's about 18. Since he was planning to go to Ohio from Houston, I don't think that distance (at least within the continental US) is a problem. He's just looking for a chance to grow spiritually before (I assume) college.

What's the name of the camp?

George

http://www.pinebrook...rg/default.aspx Pinebrook Camp Massachusetts

Hope the link works. We are very close to this camp and the people who run it, so if it is an option and we can help....just PM me. :)

Edited by geisha779

Maybe "camp" wasn't the best choice of words. I believe he's looking for something more like a training program, not a week in the woods. There are Camp Allen and Camp Tejas, both quite close to Houston, for short group gatherings.

I do not believe that he plays an instrument.

George

Maybe "camp" wasn't the best choice of words. I believe he's looking for something more like a training program, not a week in the woods. There are Camp Allen and Camp Tejas, both quite close to Houston, for short group gatherings.

I do not believe that he plays an instrument.

George

Got it. Maybe a good bible college summer school might work? I will ask around.

• 3 weeks later...

For God's sake, only send a child to a camp put on by a mainline denomination (Presbyterian, Methodist. Lutheran, American Baptist, Episcopalian). Advantage: they have policies and rules and training... protections to safeguard children/youth. Camps put on by independent churches ask you to trust that staff/volunteers are mentally OK and trained. You're not sending your child to be brainwashed doctrinally (do that at home - lol) so make sure your kid's counselors won't practicing exorcisms on him/her! MAINLINE FOR SAFETY.