GreaseSpot Cafe

Holy Communion

Pax

Christ accepts all but do all accept Christ? No, we know all do not.

Would "all" share in Communion? Could all, sinner and "saint" alike? I would think so, although the value of the shared communion meal will have to be held up by those Christians "hosting" it, for want of a better word. We can't (and shouldn't try) to redefine what the event is or what it means but we can share it with all who would be drawn towards it.

I don't subscribe to the Roman Catholic Communion, the traditional ritual of the the Eucharist. I was raised and both taught and trained in Catholicism and understand the history of transubstantiation, of the wine and the wafer into Christ's actual body and blood through the priest's consecration. That is a most literal undertaking of Jesus' words at the Last Supper. Jesus also said at one point He was the "door". We can assume that Jesus was never an actual door. Many of His references did not hinge (ahem) on a literal application of the terminoloy and references He used, that we know for sure.

I do see biblically that the sharing of the "Communion" table has great significance along the lines of what's already been stated, done "in remembrance" and amongst a community of those who share faith in Christ. Man's tendency to survive at all costs (IMO) is what leads us to ritualize everything we get our hands one, so as to insure it's continuity with us and in that sense the survival of our own selves. We want our identities to endure through the things we ritualize, our stuff. The more we do that though the more we risk losing our very identities, as that which we ritualize takes on it's own significance separate from ourselves. So we cycle back and forth, on and on and the harder we hold on to our stuff the faster it comes to rule us. But I digress. I would assume that the things we do in faith towards God and Jesus Christ act as agents of that shared identity we have as "Christians". So there is significance and value to tradition, properly executed.

I gotta say Pax and I do this kindly and gently as I assume your best intentions, I'm put off personally these days by the term "radical" in religious circles. It's become trendy (and you I'm sure are not using it that way) but every time I turn around there's some radical this or that in some church. "Radical Christianity" - it's a loaded term to my ears.

"Extreme" is another. Extreme Christianity. It's become a kind of youth banner or something, if it's Christian and there's kids involved, it's extreme. Uh, yeah man.

Lastly and I'll stop - I was in a church a few years ago when the pastor declared this - he wanted their church to be a "dangerous" church. Dangerous. Risk takers. I had to choke back laughing. I don't go to church to be dangerous. When it gets dangerous I'll be packin' heat. Till then, easy does it, y'know? :biglaugh:

Anyway, yeah.

God first

thanks socks

share in Communion we can see that Jesus Christ has already share with us now our turn to share us with him

Jesus Christ die for all mankind whether an they believe in God or not

just Adam did sharing his sin so we all need Jesus Christ to come and save us

Atheist can share with Jesus Christ

with love and a holy kiss Roy

thanks Steve and waysider and cman

I do not think CHICKEN or rattlesnake are unknown meat

but I will play which of chicken there many kinds

and there many kinds of rattlesnake too

yes my friend cman it is interesting

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Edited by year2027

I think there's more to it than what we see at first glance.

In the beginning - Genesis - The tree of life in the garden, by the river of water.

Eat and you will be healed and live forever.

At the end - Revelation - to all people - come, eat, drink of the water - live forever.

It heals.

To Israel: The manna - from heaven - eat and you will live.

Christ - I belive was the tree of life in the flesh - eat of me, drink of me.

Picture a CAT scan - the dye is injected - all the veins light up - you can see the pathways of life.

Communion - I am the tree of life. Eat of me for healing, drink of me for life and enlightenment.

Those who have taken communion - God looks down and sees those who are his - out of mankind, he sees the pathways of life amongst the people - like a CAT scan he sees the threads and veins amongst humanity - those who are his.

Its bigger then we think. It is healing.

That's why, I think, when Paul said those who take it NOT discerning the Lord's body are sick and die.

Mock if you like.

Those who discern - it is eating of the tree of life in the here and now. It is medicinal.

This is just my humble opinion. YMMV.

Edited by Sunesis