GreaseSpot Cafe

speaking of offshoots and mindsets

T-Bone

i just love the freedom i have now, like watching all the TV i want! ...... " don't chew?!" as my wife's aunt used to say.

Tonto and i got hooked on the HBO series "Big Love" 1. One of the many things i am fascinated with is the residual mindset characterized by the main actor Bill Paxton. He's left the cult at Juniper Creek - but still holds onto keeping the principle alive [polygamy] - even to the point of starting his own offshoot. I think Bill does a superb acting job - [and really the whole cast does] and i'm always criticizing his character out loud for whatever scheme he dreams up to serve his screwy agenda....

.....there's just no hope of making a fresh start when you still have a stale mindset.

Besides the fact that the writers have done their research and so many details come scary-close to my "favorite" cult - i think i've pegged Nikki [bill's wife # 2] as a true-blue way corps bi+ ch!.....well, after all she IS the daughter of the prophet.

~~

footnote

1. http://www.hbo.com/big-love/index.html

i just love the freedom i have now, like watching all the TV i want! ...... " don't chew?!" as my wife's aunt used to say.

Tonto and i got hooked on the HBO series "Big Love" 1. One of the many things i am fascinated with is the residual mindset characterized by the main actor Bill Paxton. He's left the cult at Juniper Creek - but still holds onto keeping the principle alive [polygamy] - even to the point of starting his own offshoot. I think Bill does a superb acting job - [and really the whole cast does] and i'm always criticizing his character out loud for whatever scheme he dreams up to serve his screwy agenda....

.....there's just no hope of making a fresh start when you still have a stale mindset.

Besides the fact that the writers have done their research and so many details come scary-close to my "favorite" cult - i think i've pegged Nikki [bill's wife # 2] as a true-blue way corps bi+ ch!.....well, after all she IS the daughter of the prophet.

~~

footnote

1. http://www.hbo.com/big-love/index.html

I was rolling on the floor when Barb and Bill were telling Margene that Goji (sour juice) was a cult...and then Michael Sainte was telling her that Barb & Bill and her family were a cult! Classic. The pamphlets were a nice touch.

It is interesting watching poor Barb fall into this moral abyss and justify what she tolerates because of her faith. Too close to home.

Kick that bum Bill to the curb...leave him with Nicky. That would be sweet revenge.

I am going miss it when it is over, but I started watching Sister Wives on TLC. Tell Tonto to check that out. These people are for real. Big Love the reality show. That husband is a slime too.

I was rolling on the floor when Barb and Bill were telling Margene that Goji (sour juice) was a cult...and then Michael Sainte was telling her that Barb & Bill and her family were a cult! Classic. The pamphlets were a nice touch.

It is interesting watching poor Barb fall into this moral abyss and justify what she tolerates because of her faith. Too close to home.

Kick that bum Bill to the curb...leave him with Nicky. That would be sweet revenge.

I am going miss it when it is over, but I started watching Sister Wives on TLC. Tell Tonto to check that out. These people are for real. Big Love the reality show. That husband is a slime too.

Big Love is awesome from a perspective of highlighting the "cult think" angle. Sister Wives is cool too - I keep watching that and wondering how on earth those women are stupid enough to put up with the ego of that guy. I mean maybe after a nuclear holocaust if there were a 10:1 female:male population on earth you could see how people could justify it, but seriously, people just settle for so much less than they could achieve.

yeah the cult versus cult episode was a hoot!!!

.....and that reminds me - seems like outside multilevel marketing schemes and TWI were a typically pairing...sort of the birds of a feather flock together thing. i remember a ministry leader in Texas approaching me with his multilevel marketing business - yes me - someone who had no desire to do sales, never had and never will - and so he tried to paint it up as something so easy to do since i was sitting on a virtual gold mine - that being every TWI follower i knew in my area - saying i could tap into the "warm market" [his words].

i'll mention to Tonto your Sister Wives recommendation.....don't know if i could handle that reality show. a few times when i've watched celebrity rehab i always start feeling really bad for those folks.....it's just sad.....as it is, sometimes when i get caught up in the drama of Big Love - i find myself thinking "there but for an outburst of thinking go I."

~~

edited for translation purposes for pyramid schemes in other cults :rolleyes:

Edited by T-Bone

• 2 weeks later...

T-Bone' date='10 March 2011 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1299778344' post='524405']

IMO this is one of the best lines on GSC yet. May I use this phrase when I mention TWI off-shoot groups in conversations I have? I'll give you credit :-)

Edited by penworks

T-Bone' date='10 March 2011 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1299778344' post='524405']

IMO this is one of the best lines on GSC yet. May I use this phrase when I mention TWI off-shoot groups in conversations I have? I'll give you credit :-)

Thanks......sure - you can use it, of course....you don't even have to attribute it to me....just say you're plagiarizing something from Grease Spot :biglaugh:

Bill is dead. . . . Barb is nutty, Nicky is almost nice, and Margene is a relief worker. Frank killed Lois, Ben married Heather and apparently black is the color to wear to a Mormon blessing.

What a strange ending. I loved it.

Seriously though...that series was way too close to home for comfort. Roman was VP, the compound HQ, Albie was LCM, and the Hendricksons were Corps who formed an offshoot and tried to live the same "word" without the resulting immorality....which didn't work because it was the same "word".

I am going to start in season 1 and watch it again! :)

yeah i loved it too....i had a feeling there was enough people Bill had pi$ $ed off that someone would eventually do him in.

and yes the series is very close to home for me too.....

i can't say anything about the ending at work cuz i just loaned season 1 to a friend who has watched the show on and off over the years - and she does NOT want to know how it ends.....now, i don't see how she can keep avoiding to hear about how it ends - but i promise you this much - i will not show her your post Geisha ! :biglaugh:

Edited by T-Bone