GreaseSpot Cafe

No More Unbridled Enthusiasm

skyrider

Long gone are the twi-days of unbridled enthusiasm, the support is much more reined in. In fact, this "horse" is more like an old Shetland pony in a petting zoo.

Over the weekend, I talked with someone STILL involved with twi.....and their support is much more reserved. Not wanting to venture into the church scene, they hang on to the same cliches, same mantra, same well-worn verses. But hey, its THEIR life.....not mine.

And, although they speak of "supporting" twi......it seems to me, they just don't want to explore any beyond their comfort zone, their institutionalized version of "we've got the verd." Seems sorta silly, I know......but then, I do remember the mental anguish of breaking free from twi's bondage. With wierwille's voice pounding in my head...."you just stand on the word and don't let ANYONE talk you out of it." And, the circular chart means "never leave twi by succombing to deceivers."

Yet......there is no more unbridled enthusiasm for all things twi and THEY KNOW IT.

Even their kids, the next generation......DON'T WANT IT AND ARE HEADING TO GREENER PASTURES.

And, the "shetland pony" doesn't detest the bridle....in fact, it adds comfort to his day.

A lot of people I knew would hang on to the saying "If there was anywhere else that had the truth I would be there." Which I think could be interpreted as "I really am aware at the sad state of affairs that this way ministry thing has become but am hoodwinked by all the negative comparisons."

I dare any still in TWI to venture out a little. Get a taste of freedom. See how quickly you run for the exits.

The people I know of who are still in ...(the same ones you know Old Skool), have 30 yrs in...no family to speak of...no skills...no real education....no money.....are pushing 50 and have no real retirement .... who knows if their kids are going to want to be saddled with them. Where are they going to go? We would help them ...but, we are not even worthy of a second thought or response to our overtures....what can they do? They have been tied to TWI since early adulthood. It has shaped them. They would have to start all over. The older you get...the less appealing THAT sounds. All the people who left before them...well, I would imagine those ties have been severed. Maybe leaving is just too much of an effort at this point. The fear of the known is maybe less than the fear of the unknown. What a waste of potential.

Edited by geisha779

The people I know of who are still in ...(the same ones you know Old Skool), have 30 yrs in...no family to speak of...no skills...no real education....no money.....are pushing 50 and have no real retirement .... who knows if their kids are going to want to be saddled with them. Where are they going to go? We would help them ...but, we are not even worthy of a second thought or response to our overtures....what can they do? They have been tied to TWI since early adulthood. It has shaped them. They would have to start all over. The older you get...the less appealing THAT sounds. All the people who left before them...well, I would imagine those ties have been severed. Maybe leaving is just too much of an effort at this point. The fear of the known is maybe less than the fear of the unknown. What a waste of potential.

I agree G. I know the same types of people. To me it reminds me of a new type of option for keeping your pets in your yard - the electronic fence. You put a shock collar on your dog and anytime it strays close to the fence it gets a little zap. The poor animal has no clue if it would just rush though the shock zone it would be free. It works well enough that they don't try it though.

Edited by chockfull

You must be running with a younger crowd.... :)

...most I know are pushing 60..

Yeah, I am a real baby....40 something! :) Someone needs to tell my aching back.

Imagine being 60 and stuck at HQ with no prospects? What a freaking nightmare. We should open a half-way house or have some kind of underground railroad for escapees.

It is a bit like the Children of Israel wanting to go back to Egypt. What did they say? At least in Egypt we had cucumbers and a pot.

3 hots and a cot syndrome. That is part of the reason for the recidivism rate of prison. TWI is a bit like a prison.

I love the electronic fence analogy. Perfect.

Edited by geisha779

Imagine being 60 and stuck at HQ with no prospects? What a freaking nightmare. We should open a half-way house or have some kind of underground railroad for escapees.

TWI has been circling the drain for 25 YEARS......mass exodus, backbiting, false humility, demand for loyalty, legalism, lawsuits, cover-up, another exodus, region coordinator exits, ousting of martindale, kinder & gentler facelift, more mark&avoid, etc.

How many RED FLAGS do they need to awaken from their slumber???

In spite of all this, its gut-wrenching to see the abuse....