GreaseSpot Cafe

A1C is at 5

Ham

I was diagnosed with type II diabetes about 5 years ago.

that was the rating I got today. The doc says.. you are on a very low level of this.. do you want to get the A1C test? Reasonable request I think. Sure.. go ahead..

My weight is about 192. Last year it was 205.

The only indulgence in my lifestyle.. sometimes I consume too much red wine.. and often, it is during the times I post here.

I exercise aerobically, normally five days a week..

I think that is the most important issue.

so I'm on the lowest dose of metformin..

probably won't need it next year..

This character, is so cool..

The last time I met him..

I said something like..

well. Weird. The first living soul he helped deliver, was one of my offspring.. and the last one, was his last, at whatever organization, that it was..

:biglaugh:

Congratulations Ham, I would say a glass of red wine is in order. :beer: (I know the emoticon is beer) Whatever your doing is obviously the right thing so keep it up. My wife has Type 11 and has had trouble with her diabetes for many years. Aside from that she is for the most pretty healthy.

I was diagnosed with type 2 4 1/2 years ago. What led to it was 3 symptoms: unexplained weight loss, extreme thirst, and blurry vision. They put me on metformin and for the first 2 months I took it as prescribed, but at times it made me feel stoned. I'd get light headed for no rhyme or reason. But the metformin DID address all those symptoms.

So after 2 months I weaned myself off the metformin and replaced it with trichromium and vanadyl sulfate, both vitamin supplements. I don't even take them every day any more and the symptoms still haven't come back. I changed some eating/drinking habits, but not much.

Ham, that is just awesomely wonderful! Good for you! I'm a type I-A, so to speak and have an insulin pump. Joined a wellness center, working out 4-5 times a week and loving it, feeling much better.

JohnIAm, when was your last hemoglobin A1C? The symptoms of lightheadedness may have been hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. That would simply mean your metformin needed to be cut in half.

Diabetes is called a silent killer because the side effects sneak up on you. All the symptoms you describe, thirst, weight loss, blurred vision are those of uncontrolled diabetes. The lightheadedness after being on Metformin was a symptom of low blood sugar.