GreaseSpot Cafe

Trip to Greece this September

OperaBuff

I'm booking a vacation in September to the island of Patmos in Greece, and am wondering if any of you would be interested in meeting there. You would need to make your own travel and lodging arrangements. I'm going solo* and am planing a quiet and restful trip seeing the sights and learning the history of Patmos. I've spent almost no time studying the book of Revelation but I plan to start while I'm there.

This will be my fifth visit to Greece but my first to Patmos. The Greek islands are just awesome. Swimming in the warm Aegean Sea is spectacular; the food is simple and delicious; the people are surly and warm and funny; the nightlife lasts into the dawn.

I'm also planning a day trip to Turkey, to stroll the ruins of Ephesus.

Let me know if you're interested!

*God will be with me, but then He is everywhere present at all times, pace Martindale.

Γειά σας! Geia sas! It's pronounced 'yassas' and it means hello. and goodbye. like a greek aloha.

post-1810-047471500 1303740346_thumb.jpg

If I could afford the trip.. I would prefer a meeting at Stonehenge..

Maybe next year, Ham. I'm using a free ticket for my flight, and am looking for a very inexpensive B&B to stay. There are many.

I'd like to see Stonehenge, though people I know who've seen it say don't bother. Apparently it's very near busy highways.

If you can't spend a day in Athens, Greece there's always the Parthenon replica in Nashville!

http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon/

Stonehenge: is in a V formed by two main roads. It is impressive, but not as impressive as you'd think, to look at. It's smaller than you'd think. People are no longer allowed to wander around the stones, which are roped off to prevent damage. It's impressive in the workmanship - many of the stones came from very long distances away. They would have been transported by water so far...but then, the location is in the middle of rolling hills. Experts think the huge stones were rolled on logs. Certainly it was "pre-wheel." Other stones came from other far flung locations.

If you do get there, be sure to visit Avebury (which I've always considered more impressive); and some of the other henges and barrows in the area (of which there are many). One is a Long Barrow (a very ancient tomb) which can be entered.

It's not far from Salisbury, which has an ancient cathedral and the mediaeval woodwork forming is still inside the spire. A roof tour is well worth the small amount to pay.

Now back to the regular topic: Patmos is only a small island, not much doing; their thing is their connection with St John. Apart from that, not much else. Friendly locals though. Avoid the tat sold as souvenirs. No beach that I can recall. Ephesus is just a spit away.

Have a great trip.

Thanks Twinky, that's all very informative. I've been considering staying on Samos and making day trips to both Patmos and Turkey. The fact that there's 'not much doing' appeals to me, I'm one to avoid crowds and the other tourists as much as possible. I've had the best luck vacationing on the islands, staying in small family-run places away from the beaten path. It's fun to be adopted by a local family, I've just had the best times there.

I stayed on Samos when I went to Greece - oh, 30 years ago. It was really lovely. It's a nice "wet" island (therefore green and not parched).

We rented a small apartment for a week - for the same amount it cost us for a night on some of the islands closer in towards Athens. There were day trips to Patmos and to Athens. There's enough to do on Samos. It was relaxed but delightful. One day, we rented small motorcycles and roamed around the island. Can get to all sorts of isolated and even less touristy places that way. I have most excellent memories of that time.

Things might have changed in 30 years, but it's still a long way out from Athens and the other really popular big islands.

From Samos we island-hopped back to Athens and the airport. Some of the islands nearer in were horrible, touristy, fearfully expensive and just plain unpleasant to be on. It was difficult to find ferry timetables to see where else could be got to, because there are (were) lots of little ferry businesses going all over the place. All the islands have ferry connections, but they may not be daily.

One place (Mykonos), we got the first available ferry off the island, but still had to sleep one night on the beach the first night and the second night sleet on some greedy Greek woman's flat roof at more for the night than the week in the nice apartment in Samos cost. Her guest house was stuffed with tourists but she had two couples on the roof as well.

Things might have changed a bit, of course.

Mykonos is stuffed with tourists, not one of my favorite places to visit. I still exchange cards with the family on Spetses who last 'adopted' me. So kind. The grandmother took me to the mainland by ferry one evening, put me in her car, and drove us to a concert at Epidaurus, stopping at a roadside vegetable market or two enroute. When we arrived at Epidaurus is when I learned she headed an influential local family; she bypassed the long line of cars waiting to enter the grand outdoor theater and drove across a field straight to the head of the line, rattled off something in rapid-fire Greek at the stunned officers guarding the gate, and was immediately waived through to a special parking area. It was a fine evening indeed.

Edited by OperaBuff